1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benson chimes in on realignment: No thanks to East division

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by dio, Sep 6, 2011.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Hmmm

2. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Good to hear that Bruce is echoing what we all feel. Given that he says that most of the other school presidents are feeling the same way, maybe the Pac 12 can just tell OU thanks, but no thanks and force them to remain in the Big 12.

3. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

On one hand it´s comforting to see Benson, a person who can actually do something about it, has the same concerns I do, but on the other I am **** scared he feels to need to speak about what - publicly - are nothing but unconfirmed rumors at the moment.

Buffnik likes this.
  4. buffedup

Why is that concerning? These expansion possibilities are very real and only somebody very naive wouldn't believe so. He probably was contacted by the DP asking his thoughts on the possibility and he answered with his opinion. I don't see anything wrong with that.

5. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Perhaps OU & OSU will have to talk to the SEC.

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

This is good news. I hope that Benson and some of his fellow Pac-12 CEO's share that same vision.

Expansion will require 9 "yes" votes, now. Should be interesting to see how this proceeds.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

My hope is that Benson is, at heart, a politician. He has seen the concerns of his constituency and is pandering to it.

My concern is that there's a reason beyond the politics that he felt a need to speak out.

8. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I don´t think it´s wrong and I am not criticizing him, I just think it´s concerning he feels the need to publicly speak out against rumors instead of no commenting "unconfirmed reports".

9. Del

Del Member

"I'm not sure if there is any more money per school," Benson said. "We'll wait and see. We'll see what Texas does with their (Longhorn) network. Texas likes things Texas's way."

Best line in the article!

10. buffedup

:thumbsup::nod:​

11. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

It's very comforting to see UA and CU being vocal in their opposition to expansion. This alone might be enough to convince Scott not to go in to a possibly embarrassing situation where he goes to the CEOs for an invite and then doesn't get the 9 votes.

At last count, we have at least 2 schools opposed to being shuffled east, the high probability that ASU and UU are also privately opposed, and 5 Pac-8 schools worries about academic concerns. While Scott might make a $$$$$ pitch, the prospect of having to change 7-9 CEOs minds might convince him to say 'no deal'.

12. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Maybe - but more likely Scott grants some concessions on alignment to UU, UA, ASU, and CU - and then we go forth

13. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

The radio guys in Austin are slamming Benson and CU - saying that Colorado is just jealous that UT and OU make more money with their athletic department.

They are also comparing Colorado academically to Arizona Stat and Oregon State - and are saying the only schools that aren't a community college in the PAC are USC, Washington, and Stanford.

They said that "they aren't exactly landing the space shuttle" at those PAC 12 schools. And when asked about Colorado's atletics both hosts just started laughing haha. I need to move out of this state.

14. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

we'll see.

i think the wilner blog made the most sense. the p12 would like to stand pat if they can, but if the dominoes start to fall, they will be aggressive to protect their financial future. i am sure that the school presidents are less than thrilled with the possibility of tech and okie state. but, money will talk if this starts to quick into high gear.

i would prefer a conference without texas.

15. MrFrumpylane

MrFrumpylane Well-Known Member

Sounds like they are bitter. And scared.

16. Alfred91

That's fine. Expansion with concessions is much better than expansion without.

As for UT, I love how the whorn fans are lumping Boomer in with them when it's clear that boomer wants them to get ****ed.

17. Del

Del Member

18. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I think it's hilarious they chose the "space shuttle" analogy considering that CU has put 15 alums into space and is consistently one of the most NASA-funded institutions. **** Texas.

19. GregInArlington

Yes it was. I thought about calling in - but knew it wouldn't get anywhere. They just spew bs all day then hang up on people that don't agree with them - like O'reilly, Beck, etc...

20. Heywood

Heywood The actual El Guapo Club Member

who do those idots think is landing the ****ing space shuttle? Id have to check but I would bet that CU has way more NASA positions/reasearch money/ design programs etc than the whorns.

I really really hate texas and texans. I am so sick of the entire ****ing state. everyone in that piece of **** state thinks that they and thier state are gods gifts to the world. I deal with so many texans in my little redneck town and they all come up here and try and turn my awesome state into thier ****hole. **** them all!!

sorry to rant and I know plenty of texans who are smart humble and good people, I just know they are in the minority

Jens1893 likes this.
  21. Alfred91

I think an easy solution to Texas would be to extend the border fence all the way around their crappy state.

Heywood likes this.
  22. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'm glad of this. It shows that they're scared of how things are breaking for them while also highlighting why they suck as a conference partner.

23. GregInArlington

Can I use this in my signature Heywood?

24. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

You didnt say anything that really isnt true. I cant say I hate Texas, I hate UT lol, cause it's really my home and most of my family is still there. I always knew there was a certain built in arrogance there that people get. Im not one to talk, I had it bad and still do in some ways. Only thing I didnt realize was how big that arrogance was until I moved away. It's way different when you look at it from the outside in. I could do without having them anywhere near the conference. However, I do understand this is all about business and dollars. Money is gonna rule the day, I just hope that it isnt with Texas.

25. buffedup

Not only that but I guarantee you that it eats at them like no other that little ol' Colorado has a very real impact on them getting into the Pac 12, especially considering the guy doing the talking is the guy with the vote.

26. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

First of all good for Benson, let him speak out now and show some backbone. **** Texas, they're just pissed because they might not be able to buy the PAC with their dirty money.

27. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    GregInArlington likes this.
  28. Heywood

Heywood The actual El Guapo Club Member

feel free!! I would enjoy seeing my dark poetry on a daily basis

29. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Haha at Texas being aggy.

GregInArlington likes this.
  30. Buffsoldier

Buffsoldier Well-Known Member

I remember one of my roommates in college talking about starting up a "Give texas back to Mexico" campaign. The more and more I think about it, the more it makes sense....