1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benson & DiStefano priorities.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Hugegroove, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

According to the Princeton Review, it appears that Benson & Distefano have put CU academics in the national spotlight. I'm sure their patting each other on the back for this kind of recognition. And frankly I'm glad that CU was recognized, now it's time for both of them to throw their full support behind the football program. But I'm not going to hold my breath that they will. If I recall, the Princeton Review also rates colleges for their partying ability? If so, the link to this article may not have as much credibilty. Then again............

Here's the link

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34810203/ns/today-today_technology_and_money/

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Five of those public universities would kick CU's *** in FB...The other four don't have teams.

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

We beat A&M, and I'm pretty sure we'd also beat UVA, who stinks on ice right now. Hawk is 1-3 against the other three schools.

4. leftybuff

It was a joke...apparently not a very good one...:sad1:

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Good publicity for the university, for sure. Not bad having the Princeton Review say that CU is one of the Top 10 values in public university education. That should give us a nice bump in applications this year, which can only raise academic prestige.

6. leftybuff

Awesome. I am definitely getting season tickets now...

Ruckus likes this.
  7. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Home or away? That ones kind of important.

8. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

CU announces 20% tuition increase in 5...4...3...

9. leftybuff

LOL...I can hear the conversation now, "Hey Bruce did you see we were listed as a top ten value for public universities?" "yeah, Phil that's great. There is only one thing to do maximize that image as a top ten value, and that thing is to raise tuition".

10. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Not sure it has much to do with the current regime, CU has placed on lists like this in the past. I think it's been recognized as a good value for many years - as I stare at the two tuition bills I need to pay :cry:

11. Hugegroove

If & when they do raise the tuition, there goes the ranking.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  12. DBT

More like, "God dammit Phil, what is this "value" ****. I don't want to be known as the "K Mart" of universities! RAISE THE TUITION, NOW!!!"

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

One of the certainties in life is complaints about tuition.

14. leftybuff

Not for a blue collar guy with a lunchpail...

15. sackman

Tuition & fees (in-state) when I started at CU was less than $1,000/semester. It was somewhere around $1,200/semester by the time I left. I shudder to think what it is now.

16. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Can someone chime in on this? what are tuition and fees these days for instate kids? and sacky you are what class of 92-ish?

17. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

it's good pub and will certainly be utilized by the PR arms at CU....but, surely they can't mean out of state tuition as a "value" which is where a "bump" in applications would be most likely. i suspect in-state apps are pretty much a constant more or less most years. now, what could happen is a small% of in-state students might choose to stay at home/go to CU in this economic climate instead of going to a private on one of the coasts or where mom and dad (the transplants) came from like Wisconsin or Michigan or whatever.

and, as others have mentioned, i'd attribute very little of this to Benson or the newly minted DiStefano. change is really slow, by design, at universities and this reflects longitudinal periods of 3-10 years probably....nothing either admin has done in their short terms thus far.

18. DBT

Around $3,500 for Liberal Arts. About $5,500 for B School, Architecture, Engineering, etc. That is per sememster, tuition and fees only. Does not include medical, room and board, transportation, etc.

19. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

I think after the end of my time at Dear Old CU (1991-1996) I added up the total costs of just tuition and books (what NROTC scholarship paid for) and the Navy paid something like $55-60K for my education (out-of-state mind you.)

When the Alumni Association was down here doing their pitch to students before the UT game, they put numbers up showing it cost an out-of-state student something like $110K for 4 years at CU. Have a hard time seeing the value in that for out-of-staters...

20. Hugegroove

My son is in his 5th year at the School of Pharmacy. I'm pretty sure it cost about 17K for last semester not counting schollys. You can do the rest of the math. I forgot to mention when I went to the School of Business, (Leeds) it was about 2.5K per semester.

21. COTransplant

COTransplant Club Member Club Member

I believe it was around $3500/semester undergrad and $4500/semester graduate for engineering when i finished in '07.

22. DBT

Whatever it is for in state, triple it for out of state. Leeds is around $11,000 a year in state, $33,000 out of state.

23. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Yeah that $110k estimate was based on a general, liberal arts degree - no adjustment for business or engineering...

24. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

I recently set up a 529 plan for Baby Beltway. In determining how much to contribute each year, I used several of those tuition calculators. Turns out the estimated out-of-state tuition at a public institution in 18 years: close to $400K for 4 years.
    :jawdrop::eiertritt:

25. sackman

Class of 91.

26. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

so they tripled in 19 years, that doesnt sound atrocious.

27. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

also, just a corollary point (not defending the increases per se); but universities are expected to provide a lot more "quality of life" services than in the past. like wireless internet in the dorms and all classrooms and campus buildings, computer labs, printing services, psychological services, building infrastructure for campus groups, or more "spa" than sport type-services out of the rec center, improved food service (allegedly, i guess), comfy cushy stuff in the dorms in order to remain competitive. those are costs that were non-existent or at least certainly out of the realm of "expectations" even 15 years ago.

college life today is seen more "holistically" as a comprehensive social experience than just books and a bed and going to class as minimum requirements and those costs (which are in part consumer/student expectations) have to end up somewhere.

28. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

At the West Virginia game I was asking a couple from NJ why their freshman son enrolled in Morgantown.

They said instate tuition at Rutgers (the state U of NJ) was $28K per year!
    Out of state at WVU was $22,000. With this tidbit of info on board, I completely understand why CU would be considered a value, and wonder if this plays a role in Hawkins going after more kids from the east coast.

29. DBT

One thing to remember is that, when they tell you what it will cost to send your kid to school, they add all the cost of living, transportation, health care, etc. stuff to the cost. So, they will tell you it will cost you, say, $18,000 a year to go to CU when the actual tuition is only in the $6K to $11K range per year, depending on the major.

30. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I am spending about $22 - 25K/year/kid for everything - Tuition, Rent, Books, Food, etc.