1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benson's Letter to Alumni RE Facilities

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buff4bcs1985, Jan 9, 2013.

1. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

benson saying its gonna take a while

Edit... I take that back... After Re-reading it... looks like we are headed into the Public Phase

http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...-macintyre-football-program-facilities/26528/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Won't believe it till the shovel hits the dirt.

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

And so begins the public phase

4. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Wake me up when the shovel hits the dirt. All talk no action.

5. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

:rofl:You guys with no experience in building anything but belly fat reserves, kill me!

Generally takes about 16 mos. -two years to plan and secure govt. approval for any kind of building improvement---it took one of my colleagues 14 months to get approval to replace an exisitng bathroom in a park. And with the "red-lining" process (plan review process where you submit plans and drawings and after weeks/months of review, your plans are returned, covered in red-pen comments. Then you revise the plans and re-submit the "corrected" or amended plans, only to face a whole new set of red-line comments, which the 'crats take more weeks/months to review!!! I've had colleagues go through this charade 3-4 times per project.) many govt. bureaucrats use, there are few, if any, avenues for reducing that timeframe, with Boulder being one of the worst.

By law, CU has to go through the process---no way around it and I'm certain their plans are hundreds of pages in extent. So, yeah it'll take months/years of review for final approval, before projects of this scope, can turn a shovel, but its not for lack of incentive or backing.

After all, you probably voted for (or failed to vote out of office) politicians who put and keep this wasteful, time-consuming and expensive process in place and refuse to streamline it!

Wyo Buff likes this.
  6. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

You have **** for brains? Nobody here has a problem with the process. What people here have a problem with is that Mike Bohn, the Athletic Director at the University of Colorado, ANNOUNCED last April that they would be making an announcement of "transformational facility upgrades" in late September 2012. I'll post the link from the news article. The AD has been taking the public and fans for a ride now for about a year without any concrete announcement of any kind.

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_204...s-facilities-upgrades-expansion-works-says-ad

7. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

:nod:

I'm guessing buffenuf wasn't at the first bank center getting blue balls like a lot of us were.

8. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Commitment to athletics yet they are just contemplating doing something that should have been done ten years ago. I'll believe it when I see it. No more talk. Action.

9. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

Seems a lot like a rehash of his last letter he sent out to the alumni a month ago.

10. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Blah blah blah...more wind, still no action. GB said he left the plans for the upgrades on his desk for Hawk in 2005. The admin. has little or no credibility on this issue anymore.

11. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Nope!

Was way smarter than that, recognizing who the players are (Boulder area and CU politicians) and taking into account the process, the space constraints involved in any AD endeavor and dipstick stuff involved in "government anything". Way too many fingers in the AD's pie. Sorry if I figgered that out ahead of all you "I want it now!" types and kept my gonies warm.

12. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

You may want to look up the definition of blue balls. Hint- It isn't about them being cold.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  13. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Because this work is being done on CU's campus, the city will not be involved. There will be permit requirements like Errosion and Sediment Control and Storm Water permits. But city permitting will not be a problem.

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Can you explain to all what role the City of Boulder plays in CU's construction projects? It seems you do not understand the process at all.

15. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I don't recall any city involvement with the basketball practice facility...why should we expect one for football?

16. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

The city must issue permits and stuff, right? Isn't there a planning commission?

17. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

The city doesn't have jurisdiction on CU property for any of that...

18. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

...which is why the football team is still called the Golden Buffaloes, instead of the Gaia Worshippers.

19. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Bingo.

This is why CU gets to build buildings tall buildings in boulder and no one else does.

20. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

The city has no control over what CU builds on state property. Where the hitch does come in is that CU buys water and sewer service from the city and as mentioned above cooperates in terms of wastewater, runnoff, and street access.

Technically CU can do whatever they want. From a practical standpoint CU has to work with the city but in the end CU holds all the cards. In addition athletics has a big enough impact on business in the city that any resistance from the city would be met with some pretty upset business owners. Think about the impact on business that is created by have an extra 2,000-4,000 people come to town for our improved basketball team each game. If 25% of those people buy a meal or shop it is a significant impact. An extra 5,000-8,000 for football would be even greater impact simce more of those people are likely to stay in hotels and purchase multiple meals, etc.

These things do have a timetable but the city should not be a significant hinderance in this schedule.