What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Berkeley reports

FlatironsBuff

I would love some stories from the Allbuffs members who were at the game. Atmosphere, how the crowd was, just...everything. This was a game I wanted to go to but was working this weekend.

I had had read that we had 9000 Buff faithful at the game in 2010 (or was it 2011?). 3000 roughly yesterday. Pretty good showing I think.

Some great venues to travel to. Going to Seattle, Los Angeles, The Bay Area..... It's music more fun thinking of planning a road trip than when it was the Big 12 with Ames, Manhattan, Stillwater, etc.

i think ink we will start seeing bigger away crowds too. We may have lost but we did get some big time momentum and it will pay off big time down the road, even though we lost.

I would love some stories from the Allbuffs members who were at the game. Atmosphere, how the crowd was, just...everything. This was a game I wanted to go to but was working this weekend.

Way smaller cu crowd, but way better showing by the team.

Last edited:
lots of empty seats. lots. the way the stadium is now redesigned, it allows for a small crowd to be loud, which is important for cal, i would think.

lots of empty seats. lots. the way the stadium is now redesigned, it allows for a small crowd to be loud, which is important for cal, i would think.

The stadium looked exactly the same other than the new press boxes/suites?

I had had read that we had 9000 Buff faithful at the game in 2010 (or was it 2011?). 3000 roughly yesterday. Pretty good showing I think.

Some great venues to travel to. Going to Seattle, Los Angeles, The Bay Area..... It's music more fun thinking of planning a road trip than when it was the Big 12 with Ames, Manhattan, Stillwater, etc.

i think ink we will start seeing bigger away crowds too. We may have lost but we did get some big time momentum and it will pay off big time down the road, even though we lost.

Last time, didn't they do a bunch of Stampede stops in California in the week leading up to the game to rally boosters & alumni to the game?

So that was an outlier crowd. The cool thing is that this year's 3k is a baseline for when CU is down and recent trips to play in the No Cal (Furd, Cal, FSU) have resulted in seeing CU taking some of its worst beat downs in program history. Delivering one of the most entertaining games of this college football season was a hugely important thing for Buff fans in the Bay area to want to go see CU the next time we play in No Cal.

no, I think they lowered the field, brought the seats in closer, etc. there were basically no fans sitting on the east side between the endzone and the 35 yard line. then there it was full with cal students between the 35s, then empty again to the corner and then there was a full section in the corner (high school bands) and a full visitor's section (CU fans and our band). the west side was more full but still lots and lots of empty seats.

the cal students did a really good job generating noise considering how empty the place was. the way it is designed, it is conducive to generating noise.

the stadium, overall, is much nicer than before. and, like my previous visits to cal for both fb and bb, i don't feel like i'm going to get shanked on the way out. very civil fan base. not Stanford civil, but still civil.

so much different than the old big 8. now those were truly hostile environments.

i spoke with a few pretty big cal donors. they are very proud of the upgrades and their overall investment to save sports and be competitive (jeff kent was honored at the game for giving 500k to save the baseball team), but what i witnessed in general (like the last visits in both fb and bb) is that they just aren't that passionate about their sports and not super knowledgeable about college sports in general. i actually had a cal booster, an old guy, ask me if CU had ever been good and what conference we used to be in.

no, I think they lowered the field, brought the seats in closer, etc. there were basically no fans sitting on the east side between the endzone and the 35 yard line. then there it was full with cal students between the 35s, then empty again to the corner and then there was a full section in the corner (high school bands) and a full visitor's section (CU fans and our band). the west side was more full but still lots and lots of empty seats.

the cal students did a really good job generating noise considering how empty the place was. the way it is designed, it is conducive to generating noise.

the stadium, overall, is much nicer than before. and, like my previous visits to cal for both fb and bb, i don't feel like i'm going to get shanked on the way out. very civil fan base. not Stanford civil, but still civil.

so much different than the old big 8. now those were truly hostile environments.

i spoke with a few pretty big cal donors. they are very proud of the upgrades and their overall investment to save sports and be competitive (jeff kent was honored at the game for giving 500k to save the baseball team), but what i witnessed in general (like the last visits in both fb and bb) is that they just aren't that passionate about their sports and not super knowledgeable about college sports in general. i actually had a cal booster, an old guy, ask me if CU had ever been good and what conference we used to be in.

Wow. I knew the Pac-12 fanbases were a disinterested bunch in general but that's pretty bad coming from someone who is obviously a big-time "fan"

Wow. I knew the Pac-12 fanbases were a disinterested bunch in general but that's pretty bad coming from someone who is obviously a big-time "fan"

Not so much disinterested as myopic. They follow their teams and their conference and don't give much thought to anyone else. I remember when my sister was at UA and they were coming off a really good year (Trung Canidate era) and had to open at Penn State. My sister told me that everyone she talked to, even on the team, was really cocky and was looking past PSU. She couldn't believe they paid so little mind to playing at a program with a 100k stadium filled every week that had multiple modern national titles. For the record, Arizona got rolled in the game.

Back