1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best defensive game in a long time

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Got little help from the offense or special teams and made huge plays. Talked last week about the secondary needing to actually catch some balls and they did it in a big way tonight. Forcing turnovers can be a big equalizer going forward.

2. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

Thought they still have way many blown coverages. It's just UCA didn't leverage many of them

But overall I agree that it's way better what last year

jahbrahakala likes this.
  3. Duff Man

I say this knowing full well it was far from a clean game. Just saying the defense has folded far too often the last few seasons and did not tonight. In fact, they were the catalyst for the win.

4. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

I'm with you. I like what I see on defense right now. There is some work to do yet but they made a huge contribution toward the W

5. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

It's very encouraging to see this early in the season. Given the amount of youth scattered throughout, the future is bright

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Defense won this game. If not for being put in some awful spots with a short field, they didn't give up much while making big plays to get us scores.

7. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Good points, 3 picks today and 2 back for scores. Mac has mentiones getting to's and this team has done more in two games than all of last season. We'll have hard times this season but we have guys who make plays on both sides and it's fun to watch. We got the right staff and head coach. The two areas that need to improve big time are OL and DL.

8. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

24 points given up, 21 directly off of turnovers and 3 off of a long kick off return. I'd say that's not too bad. And, while everyone keeps mentioning UCA missing things down the field, many of those were throws where Crawley or Hendo had the coverage. There's a reason completion percentage for throws over 25 yards is so low.

Great defensive effort!

9. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Crawley has really improved this year. Even with that TD pass over the middle that the UCA WR made a play on he was right on him and did just about everything right as far as I could tell.

10. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

We had more INT's in this game then all of last year.... Yep

11. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

They had some phenomenal catches early with pretty great coverage overall. With the lack of a strong pass-rush it puts the secondary in a tough spot, but they did well overall.

This was by far our best defensive game in a while, but that's not to say we are a great defensive team. We knew what kind of talent we had going into the season, and I think we should be exuberant that we're actually getting the most of that talent. The D line is not great, but they don't take a play off. The linebackers didn't have as big a presence this week as last, but they were not a weakness. the front seven are doing a great job against the run overall. The secondary has proven to be solid and opportunistic. They aren't constantly thinking rather than reacting and just playing. Great game for the D, but they can get better and better.

12. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Our secondary is SO much better.

13. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Was it me or was CAU targeting Henderson over Crawley? Crawley has looked good thus far. It sure seems like CAU's game plan was to go deep, and often.

Baer>>>>>>>>>>>Brown

14. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Crawley had that pick in the endzone nailed from the time it was thrown. He has grown so much and is on his way to becoming elite. Love this kid

15. sliderNcider

Also, I think Crawley was crying in joy after that INT. So happy for them

16. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

He had a HUGE grin on his face walking off the field

17. Duff Man

I think Crawley is going to be really good. The whole secondary is benefitting from more coaching. I loved hearing MacIntyre talking about how they dropped some INTs last week, so it was harped on in practice this week.

18. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

The D line needed to put more pressure, but solid agains the run. LBs are good. DBs were good but got burned deep quite a few times. I was impressed. They don't quit, they swarm, try to strip, hit hard and are disciplined. Very few times are they out of position and don't miss many tackles.

Glad they looked so good against an offense like well see in the PAC12. Bodes well!!!!

19. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Baptism by fire for Crawley, and I agree with you guys who think he's on his way to elite status. He's being left on an island for the most part, and has to perform.

20. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Tackling is improved so far this season.

21. sliderNcider

Awuzie was getting picked on all night, but he went ham on that fumble

22. INTHABUFF

INTHABUFF Club Member Club Member

The def looked for whoever Awuzie and and Parker were on.

23. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

Our defense has 21 points through 2 games and both games were in danger of slipping away when the D rose up and got a turnover that ended in the endzone! Think about that for a little bit. How far they have come in less than a year!

24. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Good coaching goes a long way!!!!

25. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

I hope you are right for next week. I don't think Carr will be missing as much.

26. jahbrahakala

jahbrahakala New Member

Seemed like it, definately some issues covering his guy, never seeing the ball until it had arrived. Tha Pac will provide more challenging WRs, so hopefully a good prep game for him.

27. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

The touchdowns that our defense gave up came on some really well thrown balls and some amazing catches. Really no way to defend against those except to get a better pass rush.

28. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

WTF? Name a few.

Most of the completed passes were just good plays made by CentArk. Those guys, esp. their QB, can play and showed it. Buffs' players were rarely beaten badly, like last year. I recall one or two plays that could be considered "blown coverage" but certainly no long pass plays.

29. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Who? Lee from Univ. of Spoiled Children? He had less than 100 yds. on seven(?) catchs against the Pirate's "D" last night---granted Kiffin sucks as a play caller, but less than a 100 for a talent like that from those 5* QBs?

30. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

We had the benefit of some bad throws that sailed. We had one guy wide open running down the right side and UCA QB threw it to a guy on a deep out that was covered, and he threw it high.

But we have really cut down on the total WTF moments.

The biggest improvement is when a guy catches a ball in space on these bubble screens. Our DBs used to get blocked or slip or something. Now they play the runner so well, using the sideline to their benefit and pinch the guy off or funnel him into the middle where help is coming. You can just tell they know what they are doing now.