What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best NCAA Helmets

Princeton. But, it was the same coach that used them at Princeton and Michigan.

that's what i meant to say. Princeton. my pops almost went to Dartmouth to play basketball (before staying home to go to CU)....and was talking with him just now. slip of the brain.

attachment.php

That helmet makes anyone look good.

that's what i meant to say. Princeton. my pops almost went to Dartmouth to play basketball (before staying home to go to CU)....and was talking with him just now. slip of the brain.

I also wasn't trying to be a smart ass -- didn't realize the link says exactly what I said, I just grew up in Ann Arbor and had the history of the winged helmet forced upon me from a very early age.

I also wasn't trying to be a smart ass -- didn't realize the link says exactly what I said, I just grew up in Ann Arbor and had the history of the winged helmet forced upon me from a very early age.

i didn't take it that way (smart ass). Ann Arbor is a good town. I like Madison and Bloomington better, but AA is a fun town. you were right, i was talking out my Callahan.

i spent my HS years in Norman, OK after my mom remarried an OU law grad......relocating from Denver. i had a blast (great times at Norman High, i tell you) but moved back to CO as soon as i could for college (CC, after two years at Vanderbilt). i "get" the forced upon you thing....my step-dad is 100% non-stop Oklahoma sports. he's a great guy and great for my mom....but i'm like my dad's crazy....but anyway, i've had the Sooner thing on me for years. it's like having Wang Chung songs stuck in your mind for a month at a time, the OU stuff i've absorbed. i even kind of like OU fans, mostly.

the Blake years made them bitter and they get ahead of themselves a lot....but, not bad as far as the evil bastards go (UT, NU, etc).

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of the Michigan helmet, I can understand others who like it but I don't. I do like those schools who combine some tradition with a solid identification of the school. Air Force is a great example. CU also fits this both the Ralphie design and the block letter design. CSU would be okay except it is a ripoff of the NFL rams and others and the colors are bad, Wyoming is actually pretty good if you can get past the Brown.

I also like Florida State, USC (even if I don't like the school,) KjSU, and Georgia. Worst are Penn State (looks like a practice helmet, nobody let them know they have a game on Saturday, ND, BYU, and a special ugly award to Boise. Nebraska is just boring, shows the same lack of imagination it takes to survive living in that state.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of the Michigan helmet, I can understand others who like it but I don't. I do like those schools who combine some tradition with a solid identification of the school. Air Force is a great example. CU also fits this both the Ralphie design and the block letter design. CSU would be okay except it is a ripoff of the NFL rams and others and the colors are bad, Wyoming is actually pretty good if you can get past the Brown.

I also like Florida State, USC (even if I don't like the school,) KjSU, and Georgia. Worst are Penn State (looks like a practice helmet, nobody let them know they have a game on Saturday, ND, BYU, and a special ugly award to Boise.

Georgia is Green Bay. it looks good, but it's derivative. KjSU=Dallas Cowboys. special ugly to Boise, but i didn't think it would play with all the more serious than me Bronco fans. i think wyoming has a unique logo, i could into the brown. but, again, i also think DU should go back to their original red and brown weirdness.

Ralphie block logo? MTN? that's long gone my friend....we've got Mike Bohn's "my era" slant thing and CU's $700 large "new branding" logo. you'll still see it around, since CU sucks at "consolidating a message".....the swimming lanes at the Rec Center are still Fairbanks blue and gold. we have a hard time moving forward.

this is one of the things that surprises me about Bohn. as AD, he should come out and say: this is the school color, this is the logo. trademark. bang. Castiglione did that at OU, #1. this is our nike crimson trademark color. no more gold and hot dog mustard yellows. this the official color, everything we and Nike do is THIS color. we were one of the first Nike schools.

Georgia is Green Bay. it looks good, but it's derivative. KjSU=Dallas Cowboys. special ugly to Boise, but i didn't think it would play with all the more serious than me Bronco fans. i think wyoming has a unique logo, i could into the brown. but, again, i also think DU should go back to their original red and brown weirdness.

Ralphie block logo? MTN? that's long gone my friend....we've got Mike Bohn's "my era" slant thing and CU's $700 large "new branding" logo. you'll still see it around, since CU sucks at "consolidating a message".....the swimming lanes at the Rec Center are still Fairbanks blue and gold. we have a hard time moving forward.

this is one of the things that surprises me about Bohn. as AD, he should come out and say: this is the school color, this is the logo. trademark. bang. Castiglione did that at OU, #1. this is our nike crimson trademark color. no more gold and hot dog mustard yellows. this the official color, everything we and Nike do is THIS color. we were one of the first Nike schools.

Couldn't agree more on Bohn coming out with a "This is who we are" message and getting everything to it. I know that the CU block letter is long gone but I still remember it fondly and wouldn't mind seeing it come back, that said I do also like the Ralphie with the CU in the buffalo as well. Georgia is Green Bay but with the colors and the stripes on the helmet make it their own, looks good. KjSU with the kitty logo looks good as well, I don't get the Cowboys from them at all other than some color similarities. As to Wyo I give them credit for sticking to their traditional brown. They don't get off completely free after going into the mustard yellow stuff they did a couple of years ago but their brown with the cowboy is distinctively them and identifies and fits the state.

I don't understand the infatuation with ND's helmet. It's gold, period. Big deal. And if they're gonna put ND's helmet on the list then Navy's should be tied for the same spot since it's the same helmet.

And what the **** is Hawaii's helmet doing on the list? That thing's weak, not to mention no tradition.

Hawaii's helmet isn't my favorite, but it's not bad. It's a great tone of green and the letter has some style, and if you come to the islands you'll find that everyone F'ing loves the team. University of Hawaii is our equivalent of pro sports. Sometimes tradition exists only within a smaller population that doesn't spread out much. Sure you could say that about a lot of small teams, but Hawaii loves the Warriors . . .

Michigan's striped helmet isn't much of an upgrade over plain. Plain is only cool if it's backed up by tradition, which makes them cool to their constituency, but not objectively. If you're going to rate helmets objectively, on their own, you have have something that stands out and looks cool on its own. How can anyone say that about pure white helmet of Penn St? I'd defend it if I were a Nittany Lion, but it doesn't cut it in any kind of objective way. This article is a major fail.

Michigan's striped helmet isn't much of an upgrade over plain. Plain is only cool if it's backed up by tradition, which makes them cool to their constituency, but not objectively. If you're going to rate helmets objectively, on their own, you have have something that stands out and looks cool on its own. How can anyone say that about pure white helmet of Penn St? I'd defend it if I were a Nittany Lion, but it doesn't cut it in any kind of objective way. This article is a major fail.

Agreed and well put. I have at times thought the Michigan helmet was awesome and later thought it is pretty dull and bleh. what it comes down to is it is unique and represents something that actually makes it better than it may technically be. I guess tradition counts for something, but I still think the notre dame, miami, tennessee and texas helmets suck.

I don't understand the infatuation with ND's helmet. It's gold, period. Big deal. And if they're gonna put ND's helmet on the list then Navy's should be tied for the same spot since it's the same helmet.
/QUOTE]

i defer to ND here. if we can get that same Krylon gold, that we win.

better than what we have Nike now.

Hawaii's helmet isn't my favorite, but it's not bad. It's a great tone of green and the letter has some style, and if you come to the islands you'll find that everyone F'ing loves the team. University of Hawaii is our equivalent of pro sports. Sometimes tradition exists only within a smaller population that doesn't spread out much. Sure you could say that about a lot of small teams, but Hawaii loves the Warriors . . .

I miss the rainbow warriors. I'm not joking either. That was so unique and badass in a I'm going to wear a rainbow on my head and kick your ass.

artd.jpg

warrior_throwback_jack.jpg

Funny, because I grew up in a Princeton family and always thought that it was nothing more than Princeton bravado. Cus' you know, the world is run by Princeton grads - or so I've been told. :lol:

I'd be interested in seeing which came first, Georgia or Green Bay. I suspect Georgia might have been first with that logo.

I'm personally a fan of CU and Arkansas in that list. Two of the most unique mascots in college FB. CU definitely has the more traditional color scheme with the Black/Gold.

Grambling also has the G logo.

I like the Hawaii helmets. That blackish green is cool. To me the best helmets go hand in hand with the best uniforms.

082505mauricedrew.jpg

219f3c4e-2ee0-de11-94b3-001cc494dda6_original.jpg

CharlesHugh5.jpg

When I was little and Denver didn't have a football team, I liked the Rams. I love the ram horns on the helmet. No one has mentioned CSU I don't believe, but, I know it's heresy, I like their helmets.

Michigan is a good choice. The design is a throwback and carries an unmistakable connection to a traditional program. Can't see the stickers on Ohio State's helmet. I think that's lame. And Nebraska????? Oklahoma is much better.

When I was little and Denver didn't have a football team, I liked the Rams. I love the ram horns on the helmet. No one has mentioned CSU I don't believe, but, I know it's heresy, I like their helmets.

Michigan is a good choice. The design is a throwback and carries an unmistakable connection to a traditional program. Can't see the stickers on Ohio State's helmet. I think that's lame. And Nebraska????? Oklahoma is much better.

Honestly I don't really like CSU's helmet. a rip off of the LA Rams

Virginia
4b2008ca-ed58-2196.jpg

West Virginia
4b2008ca-ed82-2757.jpg

Novelty Florida State
4b2008ca-eda0-a595.jpg

New Arizona State
4b2008ca-edbf-fe4d.jpg

Novelty Vanderbilt
4b2008ca-edec-4d5f.jpg

UCLA looked pretty awesome here in Austin last year.

Let's talk about worst football helmets:

- Texas Tech (glittery black and red and white double T...)
- Iowa State (red and yellow dust devil... dumb - looks like a middle school team)
- USC (red and yellow again, with a cheep cartoonish trojan profile)
- Toledo (really, a rocket?)
- UAB (cartoon dragon)
- North Texas/Tulane/Hawaii (****** green helmets)
- Air Force (a lightning bolt???? wtf)
- Eastern Carolina (cartoon peter pan pirate)
- Oklahoma (I still don't undertand why they have a paper clip on the side of their helmet. What does a paper clip have to do with OU??)
-

Back