1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best sign of improvement

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffaholic, Aug 13, 2010.

1. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

It's hard to get a lot out of these scrimmages. Here's the most obvious sign to me:

WR - We have desperately lacked playmakers here for some time. In 2007, we played Kendrick Celestine and Josh Smith as true freshmen as they had some speed, which we needed. It's pretty much been the same story ever since. In 2010, Kendrick Celestine is back, quick as ever, re-dedicated to learning the playbook, etc. He's running 3rd team, but I don't see how he'll see much playing time at this point. The depth in front of him is an entirely different story.

OL - Matt Bahr was forced to start 9 games I believe in 2008 at RT when Miller broke his leg. He was a RS Freshman. Now he's buried on the depth chart and working at Fullback. I know for a fact that Hawkins loves this kid and his attitude, so it's not that. He's capable of playing both guard and tackle, but he's not in the 2 deep.

There's probably some positions where we may have less depth than other years, but I think overall, when you have guys who have started, buried on the depth chart, that's a good sign.

2. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I hope this translates into being able to run the ball and Speedy not getting hit behind the line of scrimmage.

The concept of having Fernandez and Bahr lead blocking in short yardage situations is fairly interesting to me. Especially since at least Fernandez can catch as well. Gives me hope there are actually some brains on this coaching staff.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

If you'd asked me in 2008 what the starting CU OL would look like in 2010, I would have said:

LT - Solder
    LG - Behrens
    C - Iltis
    RG - Tuioti-Mariner
    RT - Miller

Still a chance it could be that with the only change being Miller's move inside and Givens taking over at RT. But there's a ton of competition everywhere except LT and RG where we have returning All-Conference players.

4. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Solder kicks ass. He can play both tackle positions at the same time.

I fixed my post now, douchenozzle. :lol: - buffnik

5. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Yeah, Nate's got the quickest feet of any Tackle I've ever seen.

6. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

When we gonna see some tackle eligible plays for big ole Nate? He was a TE once upon a time.