1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Stadium in college football

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by rynobuff, Oct 15, 2008.

1. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

This article has some strange choices, but you can vote for Folsom :thumbsup: (do it, we are currently in last). But besides Folsom what would you say is the best experience? I think Royal Memorial is the best I've been to (haven't been to much).

2. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Link????!!!?!?!?

3. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

4. BIGREDIOWAN

BIGREDIOWAN Well-Known Member

When I think of great places to watch college football.........I don't think of Mississippi as one of them? :confused:

5. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

I think any stadium named after an OU player would be a great place to watch a game.... even in Austin, Tx....

6. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

How about Billy Sims Stadium. Concessions would feature his famous Boomer-Q :thumbsup:

7. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

This article is more about the experience and atmosphere and not solely about the stadium. The reason Ole Miss is obviously on the list for their tailgating reputation in The Grove.

8. Kameltosis

Kameltosis Well-Known Member

No Notre Dame? Michigan? The Swamp? But they have the huskies?

9. phatmack

phatmack Active Member

I'm going to Husky stadium this weekend... visiting the girlfriend and she thought it would be fun for us to go watch a game there (vs. OSU)... I'll let you know what I think! =) It's kinda pretty from the outside... right on the water and all.

...I'm excited about the game cuz it should make me feel a bit better about our Buffaloe's current woes! I think she knew that and that's why she's taking me. Hahaha.

10. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I'm dying to see a game at the Swamp, but I thought Georgia was great when I was there.

11. unbiasedtruth

so are you going by boat?? have heard some great stories about tailgaiting on boats outside the stadium before the OU game there in Spetember....

12. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Do they have a most overrated stadium. My vote would be Michigan's 'big house.'

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

In the comments,there's a guy talking about how great the atmosphere in Ames, IA is. :rofl2:

There isn't a decent deli in that town. The beer sucks. The stadium itself is OK, but pretty sterile for my taste. Having a freaking tornado go through town in the middle of the tailgate doesn't help matters much.

14. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

No kidding,what's next Iowa state?

15. unbiasedtruth

billie and boomer-q..... hmmmm that would make a good throwdown with ubt and pop's smoke shop -- where meat and smoke make happy...... :thumbsup:

16. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yea, I've heard that place is amazingly quiet considering that there's over 100K people in the stands, mainly because it's just a big bowl without much of a slope and no upper decks.

17. BroncoBuff

BroncoBuff New Member

The tornado thing was some top-notch karma, though ... they are the 'Cyclones,' after all. That was one terrible night ... when that DT intercepted Klatt and returned it. That very moment was when the program turned.

I used to work in Iowa, and you're right, Cyclone Stadium is antiseptic as heck. In fact, so is UT Royal-Memorial imo ... I prefer Kyle Field.

18. BroncoBuff

BroncoBuff New Member

I drive by Husky Stadium all the time, and I'm telling you - like several of these other contenders - it just lacks the warmth of Folsom Field. Husky isn't even closed completely on two sides, and UT-Royal until maybe 15 years ago still had a running track that pushed the fans way too far away.

Folsom feels cozy because it's closed on all four sides; the stadium itself drops below ground level, from west and south anyway, which has to be a one-of-a-kind configuration; the rows rise relatively steeply, which along with the imposing vertical Fieldhouse makes the entire atmosphere and feel much closer and warmer than the cold, gradual slope of a bowl design like Wisconsin or Va Tech. And the team benches in Folsom are so close to the fans, they’re probably too close.

Plus there’s the unique raised end zone, Ralphie, the mountains.

Folsom Field is demonstrably and objectively a better venue than most of these.

19. Bama Charlie

Bama Charlie Well-Known Member

Ole Miss is in there for 'The Grove'. A great tailgating experience and the most talent per female student anywhere [and all greek chicks wear nice black dresses]. Stadium is nothing special and neither is the town.

20. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Wainaminnit. Exactly what kind of meat are you grilling? Your dog's name is Boomer.

Back on topic. The locker room exit for the visiting team at Royal Memorial is a travesty. That alone disqualifies it. Throw in the lovely view of the I-35 double decker freeway and the 40 acres of surrounding concrete, UT's stadium falls out of the running. I'll vote for UT-RMS when the UT Cheerleeders start wearng assless chaps. Tech has a better stadium and a way better tailgate. But nothing I've seen holds a candle to game day at Folsom.