What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Better job: USC or Miami?

Better HC job?

• Total voters
No. They're not.

I'd love to know on what criteria you are basing that on. Other than sucking in the 80s, UConn has been regularly in the tourney since the 1950s and a consistent Sweet 16 or better for the past 25 years (with 4 titles since 1999). I don't know what else it takes to be considered elite.

u$c has a mildly unreasonable alumni base mucking with operations. But that pales in comparison to the loud and unbearable former player contingent from the ewe that thinks someone can wave a wand and the school can magically return to the glory days.

Newsflash fellas, college sports is much more proactive regarding criminal activity, title IX rights, etc. Add in instant reporting/recording by the electronic public and all that cap you got away with 30 years ago is nothing but a distant memory.

Answer is still u$c.

Let's put it this way. USC sucking is on national news all the time. Miami losing barely gets a mention. Miami can be on the same footing as a USC, but they need sustained success. USC has big, big pockets and resources.

5 national titles in 19 years from 1983-2001. I wouldn't call that a short window since it's pretty much half of modern college football (post de-segregation). Plus a number of other times they were in the hunt.

For recruiting grounds, Miami generally owns South Florida, picks some other guys from up the coast and has been able to go nationally for a few guys they may target. USC has pretty much the same situation in LA/OC and surrounding areas and then go nationally a bit more. If you look at current Rivals class ranks on Rivals, Miami is at #9 with only 1/20 guys from outside FL (a MD DE) while USC's 14th with 9/14 guys from CA. That's why I said a slight edge to Miami -- they get 90% of their recruiting done within a 3-hour drive of campus to be elite.

Dude, you spent too much of your young life on the eastern seaboard. The Hurricane inprint didn't take in Colorado, kind of like calling every soft drink a "Coke".

Miami is where CU played in the Orange Bowl. And the Hurricanes brawled with us in Folsom. There's just not going to be much "U" love in these parts.

5 national titles in 19 years from 1983-2001. I wouldn't call that a short window since it's pretty much half of modern college football (post de-segregation). Plus a number of other times they were in the hunt.

For recruiting grounds, Miami generally owns South Florida, picks some other guys from up the coast and has been able to go nationally for a few guys they may target. USC has pretty much the same situation in LA/OC and surrounding areas and then go nationally a bit more. If you look at current Rivals class ranks on Rivals, Miami is at #9 with only 1/20 guys from outside FL (a MD DE) while USC's 14th with 9/14 guys from CA. That's why I said a slight edge to Miami -- they get 90% of their recruiting done within a 3-hour drive of campus to be elite.
I would add that they arguably got screwed out of a title in 2000 and 2002. That said USC is a top 5 job regardless of how poor they're doing.

Dude, you spent too much of your young life on the eastern seaboard. The Hurricane inprint didn't take in Colorado, kind of like calling every soft drink a "Coke".

Miami is where CU played in the Orange Bowl. And the Hurricanes brawled with us in Folsom. There's just not going to be much "U" love in these parts.

The funny thing to me is how often I feel like I'm reading western bias on the board even though I've spent over half my life in the west. Maybe we should talk about how the Steelers, if anything, don't have all the players in the Hall of Fame that they deserve. :D

I would add that they arguably got screwed out of a title in 2000 and 2002. That said USC is a top 5 job regardless of how poor they're doing.

I'd probably agree with that. I think the Top 5 jobs (best mix of being able to secure national champion level talent with best path to get there) would be Ohio State, Florida State, Miami, USC and Texas... in no particular order.

The funny thing to me is how often I feel like I'm reading western bias on the board even though I've spent over half my life in the west. Maybe we should talk about how the Steelers, if anything, don't have all the players in the Hall of Fame that they deserve. :D

Snap to, Mister. The west is best.

You don't see the Lone Star members posting dumb questions like whether the Whorns or Spoiled Children is the better job because we know better.

I'd probably agree with that. I think the Top 5 jobs (best mix of being able to secure national champion level talent with best path to get there) would be Ohio State, Florida State, Miami, USC and Texas... in no particular order.

I think Alabama and Oklahoma are better jobs than Texas.

The recruiting grounds thing is overrated.

SC, just like ND, Michigan, tOSU, and a couple other schools, can compete for recruits anywhere.

Miami used to be able to do that, but I don't know if they can anymore.

It might be weird for us ~35 year olds, but kids today can remember SC's dominance, but remembering even Miami's last title is a stretch.

The national title argument falls a little flat IMO. One loss in the SEC or Pac-12 is not viewed the same as a loss in the ACC. Makes the title path argument negligible IMO.

SC matters even when they are bad. Miami ony matters when the cheating is working.

Miami can use their newfound money and fame to build a glitzy mansion but everyone knows that their "class" is a combination of luck and dishonesty. At heart they are still trailer trash.

And living in a trailer doesn't make you trailer trash, being trashy does, no matter where you live.

do people really think the same stuff doesn't happeb at USC that happened at Miami? They are both very similar school in that they are connected with high money boosters and the pop culture/nightlife. Mimi just tends to get caught more often.

do people really think the same stuff doesn't happeb at USC that happened at Miami? They are both very similar school in that they are connected with high money boosters and the pop culture/nightlife. Mimi just tends to get caught more often.
So your vote is for SC as the better job?

So your vote is for SC as the better job?

Yeah definitely. I do think people are too down on miami though. For all the bitching about recruiting ( and rightfully so) we do on this board, it doesn't make sense to put down a program that can probably recruit better than any of them.

Yeah definitely. I do think people are too down on miami though. For all the bitching about recruiting ( and rightfully so) we do on this board, it doesn't make sense to put down a program that can probably recruit better than any of them.
I read the answers to be in the relative context, as framed.

Hmmm get paid 3 mil with a 3 mil staff to win pretty easily in front of nobody, or get paid 6 mil with a 6 mil staff and have to work harder for wins at the coliseum? Sign me up for the cash

I'll go USC, but the U is hardly a bad job. I just think the ceiling at USC is the highest in college football. If you're a coach there and you're good, you're the ****ing man. Celebrities show up on your sideline, your players party in Hollywood, and there's really no other program out west that even comes close.

I'll go USC, but the U is hardly a bad job. I just think the ceiling at USC is the highest in college football. If you're a coach there and you're good, you're the ****ing man. Celebrities show up on your sideline, your players party in Hollywood, and there's really no other program out west that even comes close.

There's something to that. In terms of "high profile" and being a celebrity if you win a national championship, I think USC and Notre Dame are the ultimate royalty spots in college football.

There's something to that. In terms of "high profile" and being a celebrity if you win a national championship, I think USC and Notre Dame are the ultimate royalty spots in college football.

You wouldn't include bammer and blowhio state in the royalty group? If not, why?

Back