1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BG Brooks had some great insight into McCulloch & why he's not a TE

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

He came in thinking he'd redshirt and bulk up to TE. For whatever reason, he wasn't redshirted.

Then for his sophomore year, there was no WR depth and the team needed him so he stayed at WR.

For his junior year, his plan with Embree & Brookhart was to bulk up to play TE. But we changed coaches and he stayed at WR for his first spring with them.

Then his junior season he had a stress fracture in his foot and coaches didn't want him to add a lot of weight and be dealing with a blocking load (in order to protect the foot), so they've kept him at WR on the depth chart but his real position has been TE. He just doesn't do any of the hand-on-the-ground TE stuff.

http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209704110

Glad that BG wrote something on this. I've always been curious about why Tyler never converted to WR. I'd just assumed that either he didn't want to or he didn't have the frame/metabolism to get above 220 lbs.

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

So he is a strictly pass catching TE. Interesting.

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Going to be a big argument at the end of the year whether we beat the TE catch prediction set by Duff.

4. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Good point. Next year he can do a prediction thread for "hybrids".

5. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Responded to this on the newsbot thread.

Tyler has gotten a lot of negative response from Buffs fans, I think for the most part unfairly.

He's never going to be a star but healthy and used correctly can be and is a contributor. I wish he had that extra year that the RS would have given him.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

I admit to being someone who was disappointed in TMs level of play as a WR. Some of that was him not being used in ways that made sense to me (red zone target, etc) but some of that was his lack of skill as a WR. I have no idea why we were throwing it to him on "go" routes but it baffles me that for his size, he seemed unable to high point a ball to save his life.

I've seen more hustle from him this year. Some of that might be him being healthy for the first time in a while. And this last game he showed a ton of heart on his TD catch where he refused to be denied getting into the end zone.

I look forward to seeing him continue to progress and hopefully be put in situations for him to succeed.

7. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Gucci Ty is a playa

8. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

[​IMG]

patebuff likes this.
  9. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

If it supports my position, I will add or substract his numbers. Duff can suck it. ; -)

10. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

The Oregon State fans by me were all very impressed when he did that.

11. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

A player's future F'ed up by WB and Co? I could die from "not surprised"! See: Goodson, D.D.; Crawley, Kenneth; Wright, Yuri......

Fortunately, McC, Goodson and Crawley, are recovering nicely.