1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 10-er-12 comes to its senses

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by rodrigo, Dec 17, 2010.

1. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

2. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

I know they gave some bull**** reason, but I still don't know why they did not just do East-West.

The way they split the divisions, there's no names they could come up with that would make sense...

3. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

What a dumbass. :lol:

4. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

I applaud Delaney. The guy said the names have gotten a negative reaction, so instead of pushing fans away he's going to take some time and rethink the names. Sounds logical to me.

5. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Somebody here mentioned the Great Lakes and Great Plains divisions. I thought those sounded pretty cool.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rust Belt and Meth Plains?

7. Spanky

Spanky Member

They are kind of in a bind since its not geographical...not many options. Any us presidents that were big-10 grads? I think that would work. Damn, it's just Gerald Ford.

8. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

The should call one the Big Seven Division, and the other the Big Five Division.

9. kalbuff

kalbuff New Member

I agree. When you watch a college football game on television, there is typically an ad for each university. I assume they are trying to attract good students. Certainly the ads are not geared to the intense, five star athlete. Many, maybe most of the ads are gauzy, idealistic pablum. They are literally what that university wants to think of itself discounting the undertone of dissolute youth that probably most represents the university. So these guys that work the conferences, likely just as idealistic, and checked out, as many in the bowl system and the NCAA, and.....

10. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

What about the logical North/South or East/West? Oh wait, they didn't align the divisions in a logical manner, never mind.

11. Spanky

Spanky Member

love this comment. the tv ads should show a bluebook full of misspelled words laying in a puddle of throw up while two guys play video games and get stoned with a fat girl.

12. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

The Big Ten effed it all up, but I'm glad that Delaney is admitting that. They'll get it turned around.

Geographical splits don't always work (see old Big XII). As such, the Big Ten sought competitive balance, like the ACC, and ignored geography in its division makeup.

13. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

Since Delaney seems stuck in the past, he should name the 2 divisions in honor of 2 great Midwestern icons of the past..

Schlitz and Falstaff.

14. ScottyBuff

I think a North/South type split could have still been balanced competitively.

North Division (or Great Lakes Division)
    1-Michigan
    2-Penn State
    3-Wisconsin
    4-Minnesota
    5-Northwestern
    6-Michigan State

South Division (or Great Rivers Division or Great Plains)
    1-Ohio State
    2-Nebraska
    3-Purdue
    4-Iowa
    5-Illinois
    6-Indiana

That would allow the "protected cross-over" trophy games to remain intact, thus only ending the Ohio State-Penn State (no trophy) and the Iowa-Wisconsin (Heartland Trophy) as annual games which really aren't that big of a deal.

Michigan-Penn State-Wisconsin would be the powers in the north with the Spartans having their once-a-decade impact.
    Ohio State-Nebraska-Iowa would the powers in the south with Illinois/Purdue chipping in occasional good years.

The geographical center of these divisions would still be Indianapolis where the first CCH will be held. If you ever expanded with Notre Dame they would go in the North (games against Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern in division) allowing room for Missouri in the South (Nebraska, Illinois). Rutgers (North), Pitt (North), Kansas (South), and Kentucky (South). I know, pie-in-the-sky expansion but I'm bored.

In truth the Legends and Leaders names were silly but probably could have been overcome. But then the Big Ten rolled out that joke of a logo, and that tipped the scale to full blown retardedness. That is really what needs fixing muy pronto Mr. Delany.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  15. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

back-peddle...back-peddle

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

How about the Nytol and the Sominex divisions?

17. The Guest

The Guest Guest

God bless him for acknowledging the backlash, but should he really be so surprised?

Did they ask a sample of graduates from any of their schools what they thought of those names?

Their division names sound so contrived. The names might appeal to the average eighth grader, but it really feels as if they're trying too hard to convince somebody of something.

When I first saw the logo and heard the names I was actually a little embarrassed for that conference. And in all fairness, ugly landscape and a chubby, mostly unattractive student body aside, the Big 10 remains an excellent conference with a proud academic and athletic tradition. But Christ, let your achievements stand for themselves.

If a guy shows up in a squadron and announces his callsign is "Cobra", you can bet he'll find a pair of testicles dangling on his shoulder within an hour. As names, "Legends" and "Leaders" invites a similar response.

18. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Those are fine suggestions for divisional names, Dio, but really the point of naming divisions is so that you can tell them apart.

19. ScottyBuff

Personally, I liked your suggestions:

Ugly Chubbies Division
    Dangling Testies Division

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

How about "The Dips" and "The Sh!ts?"

21. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Geographically speaking, there's not much separation between those two divisions.

22. ScottyBuff

"meet in the middle"? Indianapolis is the belly button.

23. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Indianapolis? You're gonna have to flip her over to find that one.

Hint: That's not a belly button.

24. ScottyBuff

:lol: :rofl: :rofl2:

25. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Note to Delaney:

The Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East.

26. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Another note to Delaney......

Even if you have Iowa in the East....... they are East of SOMETHING.... like maybe Idaho....

27. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

purdue must have really sucked, huh? the talent at other schools is pretty good actually.

28. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I know you went to Purdue for a bit, aka "Dude U", but its short-sighted to base your whole conference perception on your time in West Lafayette. Ok, don't go looking for poon in Madison or Evanston. But take a venture through Bloomington, Champaign and Iowa City and I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

Imagine if everyone based their Pac 12 opinions on the women of Palo Alto or Salt Lake City. Would be unfair to the rest of us, who definitely hold our own.

29. ScottyBuff

you assume he was talking about the women?

30. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

slc is LOADED with talent