What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big 12 predictions around the ESPN blogs

RSSBot

News Junkie
You saw my predictions for the Big 12 this week. What about everybody else?

Plenty of Big 12 teams in some crossover action this week, but there's only one explanation if the other bloggers picked them to lose: They obviously hate your team.

From national blogger Andrea Adelson:

Northern Illinois 28, Iowa State 27. One of the best teams in the MAC will pull the upset behind the legs of Chad Spann.

My take: It could happen, but has a team ever had its collective back against the wall in a season opener like the Cyclones?

Colorado 21, Colorado State 10. Both teams essentially have coaches on the hot seat, and quarterback uncertainty. While the Rams won the meeting last year, they go into this game with a freshman starting at quarterback in Pete Thomas. Only two first-time starters at quarterback have won this game for Colorado State.

My take: Colorado State just doesn't have the talent to make it two in a row.

SMU 44, Texas Tech 40. Upset indeed. Kyle Padron should have a big day and break the Mustangs’ 13-game losing streak to Texas Tech.

My take: Win or lose, Tuberville would be furious with a "44" on SMU's scoreboard.

From Pac-10 blogger Ted Miller:

UCLA 27, Kansas State 24: Almost flagged an upset special here: The Bruins are beaten up on the offensive line and QB Kevin Prince has seen very little action during the preseason due to a nagging back injury. But UCLA has enough playmakers on both sides of the ball to, you know, make enough plays to win.

My take: Definitely a toss-up. No result in this game would be surprising.

Oklahoma State 31, Washington State 24: At some point in the first quarter, the Cowboys are going to look at each other in the huddle and go, "I thought these guys were supposed to be terrible." This might fit a pattern all season for the Cougs: Competitive close calls.

My take: Cougars have come a long way from 2008's Sour Apple Cup if they lose by 7 in Stillwater.

From Big Ten blogger Adam Rittenberg:

Missouri 35, Illinois 23: It's tough to beat Missouri with a healthy secondary, much less one as banged up as the Illini's. Illinois holds its own for two and a half quarters, but Blaine Gabbert proves to be too much and fires three touchdown passes. Redshirt freshman Nathan Scheelhaase shows some promise in his first career start, but it's not enough.

My take: Might be a little more one-sided, but it's a rivalry game and the Tigers' secondary still hasn't proved it's better. Could happen. An upset would be shocking.

From ESPN Insider Bruce Feldman:

Texas 34, Rice 7: Remember former YouTube sensation Sam McGuffie? Michigan fans probably do. No doubt Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp does and will be prepared for his wheels. Last season, Rice gave up at least 40 points seven times and more than 55 three times. The Owls should be a lot better in 2010. Still, I think the Longhorns will ride sledgehammer running back Cody Johnson all day and cruise to victory.

My take: Longhorns' O isn't great, but they're better than 34 points against Rice. Here's hoping for one McGuffie highlight, though.

Oklahoma 56, Utah State 17: Gary Andersen's Utah State team wasn't awful in his first season and returns 16 starters. Expect USU to surprise someone this season. It won't be Oklahoma, though. The Sooners are just too loaded on both sides of the ball and too tough to beat at home.

My take: No way Utah State scores 17 points against the Sooners.

Nebraska 48, Western Kentucky 7: It's quite a matchup of streaks, as Nebraska comes in with the nation's longest winning streak in season openers at 25, while WKU brings a 20-game losing streak into Lincoln. The Cornhuskers' quarterback picture is cloudy, but because they're facing a poor defense, look for three quarterbacks to get action and deliver plenty of touchdown drives.

My take: Co-sign.

More...

Back