1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 12 revenue sharing to stay unequal

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by OKCBuff, Jun 2, 2010.

1. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

2. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

UT earns 44% more television revenue than Baylor.
    Differences of more than 15-20% between the top and bottom is one way to undermine the future of the conference.

3. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Get us to the Pac-10. Stat!

4. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

how much of the $2.2MM difference between UT and CU is due to the fact that UT has more sports, thus more TV revenue (thinking specifically of baseball here, but there may be other sports as well), and the NCAA Basketball Tourney?

CU football was on TV all but one or two times last year, which I would be shocked to find was 10th in the league.

5. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Is college baseball ever on TV? I don't think I've ever seen it except during the college world series.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It's on quite a bit, actually. Mostly on ESPN 2 and the Fox sports channels. I was flipping around the dial a couple days ago and LSU/Alabama was on.

7. Daaah

Ok. I stand corrected. I guess I just have no interest in watching so I kinda just tuned it out.

8. El Gringo

Even if its just the CWS, UT generally goes pretty far, so they get some good airtime.

9. Clean Undies

I'm not answering your question directly, but I do point out that Baylor has a baseball team, yet UT earns 44% more TV revenue than the Bears. So it's not just about baseball.

10. El Gringo

Of course there are lots of factors. Baylor football was on tv 7 times in 2009, only 2 of which were on a major station (ABC/ESPN), while CU was on ABC/ESPN 5 of their 11 televised games. That's probably a million or two spread right there, which they likely made up for in baseball and basketball revenue that CU did not have.

11. Clean Undies

The last public numbers are for 2007. Who knows what the revenue spreads looks like for 2008 & 2009, or what the projections look like for 2010. But it's fairly obvious that UT will be at the top.

The issue becomes one of a vicious cycle for those at the bottom.
    The cumulative gap between UT and the basement dwellar could be $12M over the span of the last four years. The rich get richer and the poor fall further and further behind.

12. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

You guys sound like a bunch of commies :lol:

13. El Gringo

I'd agree with that, although in the case of Texas, what they get from the Big 12 is a pittance compared to what they get from Big Hats (i.e., the big money donors with 10 gallon Stetsons). The number that sticks out to me is that Texas' budget is in the upper $70MM range, while CU is down in the $20's. So we're getting about half are budget from the conference while UT is getting around 15%.

14. Clean Undies

:lol: I'd rather the shoe were on the other foot. If you are going to be the conference whipping boy, might as well get paid properly for it.

How cool would it be for CU to be the ones playing the Longhorn's hand right now?

Nothing would make me happier than if CU was the center of the B12 universe, flush with cash, stringing together 10-11 win seasons, and nabbing up 5-stars on Junior day.

15. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

But I believe they're in the postseason now with conference tournaments, regionals, or super-regionals. Point being, I don't think it's on during the regular season that much, and even if it is, I can't imagine that schools are making all that much money off regular season TV games.

16. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

The sound you hear is Beebe putting another nail in the B12 coffin. I get the impression the Mizzou AD was giving Bebee a vieled threat.

17. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Without equal revenue sharing there is NO way that a Big 12 Network will get off the ground.

UT now has a green light to form the Longhorn Network and the separation in money will get even bigger.

The Pac needs to act quick and invite CU so that we can get out of dodge before the "increased exit fees" can be implemented.

I know the Pac has a similar "hybrid" revenue sharing agreement, but I think that will get rectified when they form their own conference network, which is a 99% near-certainty IMO.

Getting in on a conference owned network on the ground floor will create a much better long-term investment in CU athletics than anything else we can hope for right now.

18. Daaah

**** that guy. Lets hit the road.

19. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

You can watch baseball all season long starting in mid to late Feburary on most of the Fox Sports channels, and UT is on there a lot along with other big programs such as UVA. I actually enjoy watching college ball a lot as it tends to be a much quicker game.

20. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

:ban:

21. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

Whats wrong with liking college baseball? I think it is a absolute shame that CU doesnt have a Baseball team. Many schools have 20+ Varsity sports teams, pretty pathetic we have so few.

22. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

College baseball is not a profitable sport. The networks are not paying a single university millions to televise its games. It's filler, even the postseason tourney. The Frozen Four is actually the #2 NCAA tourney for revenue after MBB and it's not even a cash cow.