What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big East extends invitation to Villanova

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Coming off its 1-AA national championship in 2009 and with the Big East wanting to strengthen itself as a football league, it has extended an invitation for Villanova to make the move up.

This would give the Big East a 9-team conference and a balanced schedule.

Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
Villanova
West Virginia

That's a tremendous basketball conference and a decent football conference that has presence in a lot of big media spots. My next move would be a play for Notre Dame, Maryland and Boston College to get to 12 and join the big boys. I'd take Navy instead of Maryland if I had to for the national appeal and Notre Dame rivalry. But the conference needs a presence in the Baltimore/DC markets.

did bc just leave the big east?

it's been a couple-3 years in the ACC....but, still easy to forget. i guess the BE (which has always been either 1. a made-for-TV conference going back to the early ESPN/G' Town/Boeheim/Massomino/Carneseca hoops hey days and 2. a patchwork affair with no real center, in hoops and especially football)....is hoping Nova can duplicate UCONN's success. as for a Philly presence, i believe Temple *used* to be in the BE (for football) but got kicked out.

Sure sucks to be one of the have-nots in the future Big XII-2. The BCS options for them will probably continue to slowly disappear...

Thank gawd we are heading out west!

it's been a couple-3 years in the ACC....but, still easy to forget. i guess the BE (which has always been either 1. a made-for-TV conference going back to the early ESPN/G' Town/Boeheim/Massomino/Carneseca hoops hey days and 2. a patchwork affair with no real center, in hoops and especially football)....is hoping Nova can duplicate UCONN's success. as for a Philly presence, i believe Temple *used* to be in the BE (for football) but got kicked out.

Seems to me they would have been better off inviting Temple back. Golden finally got something going there again, and I'd think their chances of sustaining are at least as good as Nova's chances of excelling at D-1.

Seems to me they would have been better off inviting Temple back. Golden finally got something going there again, and I'd think their chances of sustaining are at least as good as Nova's chances of excelling at D-1.

That would be incredibly embarrassing for the Big East considering that they basically kicked Temple out for not being good enough...

This one seems kind of bizarre to me, but I guess they are trying to get that Philly market. That's about the only part that would make sense. So Nova has made a commitment to moving up to the FBS level? I wasn't aware that they had.

The Big East should give ND an ultimatum, either join the conference in football or you're out altogether. This might actually force ND to make the move to join because they have to protect all their non-revenue sports, and the Big 10 or ACC wouldn't take them without football.

Not really too surprising. The Big East needs to grow as a football conference, but has no room to expand due to the basketball members. If Notre Dame won't join in football (obviously), then the next best option is to gave another non-football Big East member upgrade their football (ala UConn). Villanova is by far the best option, based on sustained on-field success. Gaining more direct access to the Philly market pushes it over the top for 'Nova as the Big East's best option.

And as the article hints at, the power struggle in the Big East between football/non-football is really what is at stake here. The current 8-8 deadlock would now be 9-7 in favor of the football schools, making a successful separation of the two far more likely in the future.

But, there is still a lot of "wishful thinking" that Nova can be anything near as successful as UConn has been (both financially and athletically). The stadium issue is a big one, but the fact that Nova is a small private school doesn't move the needle as much in a major pro-sports town.

It would be strange that the Big East would "offer" an invite without knowing 100% that it would be accepted and feasible, however. How bad would that look for the Big East if it was rejected?

Maybe the only way that the school can spend money on the studies is if there is a formal offer?

I would think the Big East has to be eyeing East Carolina, Memphis, Central Florida, in addition to FCS schools like Delaware, Richmond, and UMass as future potential targets, if/when the football schools can severe from the basketball schools.

This seems like a clear indication that the B-ball schools are still running that league. There have to be a lot more viable candidates out there then adding more small private schools. Things would have been a lot better for them if the Big 12 had fallen apart and they could have stretched for KU/Missouri...hell even an ECU, Memphis or Central Florida would be better than and FCS school callup.

This seems like a clear indication that the B-ball schools are still running that league. There have to be a lot more viable candidates out there then adding more small private schools. Things would have been a lot better for them if the Big 12 had fallen apart and they could have stretched for KU/Missouri...hell even an ECU, Memphis or Central Florida would be better than and FCS school callup.

Certainly the Big East basketball holds more sway than football. However, they aren't really "adding" Villanova. They already are Big East in everything but football, it is more of a "promotion" to full-sports membership for them, on par with what UConn started in 1997.

The Big East is a 16-team basketball conference, they can't "add" any more all sports members like ECU, Memphis, UCF without creating a huge basketball league of 17 or 18 members. The non-football schools would vote that down quickly. That is why promoting 'Nova to a full member gives the football side 9 votes and the ability to effect change. If the 9 schools can them vote out the others, that would ensure the "new" Big East retains their BCS auto-bid and NCAA tourney spots (as well as TV credits). The non-football schools would then have to build their own conference and "start from scratch" in a way.

does gorgetown or st. johns play 1-aa football? if they do the big east should have them bump up to 1-a, then they add philly , dc and ncy. that would be a pretty good tv market.

does gorgetown or st. johns play 1-aa football? if they do the big east should have them bump up to 1-a, then they add philly , dc and ncy. that would be a pretty good tv market.

Georgetown plays, but they are terrible. They'd have such a long way to go to get to 1-A that it's probably not even possible. Big East is more likely to look at JMU to get into that market for football (assuming the conference splits).

Back