1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big East Next Season - 10 Teams

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Butler
    Creighton
    DePaul
    Georgetown
    Marquette
    Providence
    Seton Hall
    St. John's
    Villanova
    Xavier

10 is the perfect size for a hoops league. The new Big East is going to be great basketball. I'm happy for all those diehard fans.

Multiple coaches from the new league had told ESPN.com that the new Big East would play an 18-game, true round-robin schedule in 2013-14. The new Big East will play its tournament at Madison Square Garden and has hired a search firm to find a new commissioner. New York City is the favorite to host the league offices, sources said. The league would start playing Olympic sports, such as soccer, in August.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...big-east-10-members-2013-14-according-sources

2. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Never going to expand, IMO.

3. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

So is the Big East football conference still going to exist in its present form minus Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville? It would be pretty tough to carry on a football conference with only 6 teams (5 once Louisville exits)

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

SMU, Houston, Memphis, Temple, and Central Florida are joining this season. Tulane, East Carolina, and Navy in 2015.

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

That is a great basketball conference. Should be fun to watch.

6. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

OK I do recall that now that you mention it. How could I forget. :lol:

7. J-R-K

J-R-K Well-Known Member

Looks like UCONN is the first casualty of realignment. I'm sure their storied basketball program is just thrilled with the idea of conference games against the likes of SMU, Navy, and East Carolina.

Is it really ethical for a catholic-only conference to be formed? How is that not considered discriminatory?

8. Medford M.

Medford M. Well-Known Member

Seems like religious freedom type of thing. I love this conference. I love everything about it, and I generally dislike all Catholic schools.

9. Buffnik

I don't see why it's an issue whether institutions decide to affiliate into a conference based on geography or being a land grant university or having a similar religious affiliation or some other thing.

If it makes anyone feel better who is worried about this, if the Big East goes to 12 at some point it will likely be through Dayton (Catholic) and VCU (not religious but a great media market they're not in).

"Meh" on that issue.

10. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Not only is this post monumentally stupid, its not even factually accurate. Butler isn't even a catholic university.

11. CVilleBuff

As I mentioned earlier, I have a hard time seeing why this conference would ever expand. I mean, Richmond is an okay media market, but it isn't NOVA/Washington DC. And anyone who thinks VCU somehow brings in a "Virginia" media market as a whole is kidding themselves. This is a UVA and VT state. Even when both programs suck and VCU is good. VCU is essentially a side blurb on the second page. However, the same can be said for many of these programs in this conference in their respective states. If VCU has another deep run this year, it'll become more and more enticing for them, probably. Although the reality is Richmond (while not Catholic) fits the private school feel of the league better, has a solid basketball tradition (Sweet 16 as recently as 2011).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  12. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Anybody else think this is the most confusing conference of all time. There is an old Big East conference and a new Big East conference, and as of right now they are both the Big East. Talk about stupid.

13. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

When my 89 year old mother told me Creighton was going to this league, I wondered if they had calculated their travel costs.

14. Buffnik

Makes me think they're going to 12 with Dayton and St. Louis after next year to fill out their midwest region.

15. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Could be that they swung a deal with the Big East like Maryland did with the Big Ten. Reportedly Maryland is getting $20-30 mil a year in travel costs.

16. CVilleBuff

Not sure the travel costs will be all that bad for Creighton given that it largely involves flying into places like Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC.

17. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

This is a pretty good point, it's not like West Virginia trying to get from Morgantown to Manhattan or Lubbock.

18. Buffnik

Only thing is that in the MVC Creighton was taking a lot of bus rides for travel. Airfare is going to be much more expensive than that. But I'd assume that the Big East media deal more than makes up for it.