What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bill McCartney diagnosed with late-onset dementia/Alzheimer's

Jens1893

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member

"We would like to share the news that our father, Coach Bill McCartney has been diagnosed with late-onset Dementia/Alzheimer's. We (his family) have been noticing memory issues for the past few years and he was recently diagnosed. He is receiving treatment and we are hoping this slows the progression of the disease. He is still the same Coach Mac – biking, golfing, supporting the Buffs and being an active member of his Church.

"We are making this public to ask for your understanding and patience as we know he frequently runs into fans, friends and former players. This is a frustrating and confusing disease, and if he appears disconnected or unknowing, please don't take it personally.

"Please keep Coach Mac in your thoughts and prayers as we navigate through this difficult time."
— The McCartney Family

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/8/...es-statement-on-health-of-bill-mccartney.aspx

Last edited:
The man lived a very full life with so many great accomplishment and he touched so many people. Obviously, made my 4 years at CU as well that of many other some of the best times in our lives.

I wish him and his family the best going forward in this difficult time.

We know when this disease hits, it moves fast and is devastating to see in action. I am so thankful Mac, through all of his controversies, chose to make Boulder his home after coaching and stay true to himself because he has willingly been the greatest ambassador for Buff football we could have had in the good times and the lean. So envious of those who got to see the fire and listen to the stories in person.

Thoughts and prayers to the McCartney family. Like many members here, I had 2 family members (both grandfathers) affected by this disease. Very rough to see the process play out. I thank God every day that I was able to be with them near the end but also when they still remembered me and the memories we shared when I was younger. Tearing up about it now.
Stay strong, Coach Mac and best wishes.

Praying for Coach Mac, his family and all those families that fight this disease every day.

Devistating news. God bless you Mac. Prayers to Mac and his family.

Although your memories may fade, your accomplishments will forever remain.

Mercy! Worst news I'll read today.

Prayers for peace, strength and grace to Bill and his loving family.

I'd be honored if Bill forgot my name.

Very sad news, but I am saying a prayer that he responds to treatment and is able to slow the progress of the disease enough that he can remain himself for longer. Obviously his family and his faith come first but it would be great if he was still here several years and able to give one of his pregame speaches to some of #therise recruits.

They've known about it for quite a while. They are just making it public. He's still pretty sharp but his short term memory is suffering.

Last edited:
Back