What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bill Walton

How do you feel about Walton as an announcer?

• Love him

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Hate him

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • mmm funyuns

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
If you're watching the game on television, not listening to a radio broadcast, do you really need the announcers to tell you that someone just made a shot?

I don't. But truthfully in 54 years have never seen that before.

Poll question was do I like him as an announcer. I answered. Just as you did.

I don't. But truthfully in 54 years have never seen that before.

Poll question was do I like him as an announcer. I answered. Just as you did.

Yeah. I actually think it's group think that has the poll so lopsided. He's so different from the norm that people react to him one way or the other. It's the "indifferent" responses I don't quite get.

I love that "different".

Yeah. I actually think it's group think that has the poll so lopsided. He's so different from the norm that people react to him one way or the other. It's the "indifferent" responses I don't quite get.

I love that "different".

As an individual, I think he is an amazing guy. Athlete, ha, what can be said. And as an announcer, betcha more people love him than hate him, although I forgot to even look at the result...

I am such a hammer headed Buff fan, I would drop gloves at the wrong time which at my age is unwise :lol:. He has a thing for CU like Simms loves him some Donkeys...

Maybe it is the whole new to conference thing, kinda felt like last night he was trying to rationalize the stomping that Utah put on his beloved boys of Westwood (whose campus I lived close to and loved the area for a few years).

I am just really grateful we got the UCLA thing off our back before it got any bigger. Really hope we beat the FN tar out of Utah when they get to Boulder if we can get healthy.

Best thing is, I think Buff sports are on the rise and we get to say what we want, love or hate :nod:

Depends on who you pair him with. I think people don't like Walton because he takes over a telecast by talking about something that has very little to do with the game itself (like his constant references to Utah and their sweetgrass). Dave Pasch makes him effective-He'll let Bill be himself, but seems like he always reels him in just before Bill gets too out of control.

Let's say CU was still in the Big 12 and there was a former player doing commentary who was loved from his playing days. Someone who rambled during broadcasts and was all schtick but was clearly knowledgeable about basketball.

Now let's say that person won championships back in the day at Kansas and had a son who was also a good player who played several years ago at Texas. This former player turned analyst is still allowed to call games when these schools are playing and Colorado is the opponent. He is clearly a homer during these broadcasts and even compliments the two schools heavily during CU games featuring other opponents. Not cool, right?

I think we've softened on this because it's Bill Walton, and he is hilarious outside of doing CU games. But as a CU fan, there's no way I watch a game with sound when he is calling it. Gives us very little respect while pumping up his favorite schools, even when they're not one of the teams playing.

Last edited:
BW is a novelty, like an outing to the planetarium for a Laser Floyd show, or sex in a ski gondola.

His broadcast isn't what I'm in the mood to hear at eight pm on a work night.

It kind of pissed me off to hear multiple references to sweat grass ceremonies, mind washes, and the mystical powers of the Utah desert. Seeing that an Oregon WR is going to get suspended by the NCAA for smoking pot, is it too much to ask for Walton to take his Haight Asbury / New Age transcendental schtick down a notch when announcing a P12 event where Walton's favorite pipe filler remains against the rules?

Calls a good game when he actually talks about basketball. I think the rest of his crap is mostly crap though.

"In those four wins (against Arizona) the opposing team has stormed the court after a victory seven times"...

Bilas and that other clown, speaking as if to distance themselves from Walton.. make me sick.

Together, they'll never be half the man Bill is.

Bilas and that other clown, speaking as if to distance themselves from Walton.. make me sick.

Together, they'll never be half the man Bill is.

I dunno, Bilas is pretty tall as well.

Walton = Dick Vitale, IMO. They both know basketball, but their "flair" gets old after a few minutes.

I like him but was getting miffed tonight. Especially when the camera was on XJ and Josh but he was handing out cakes and presents to his fellow announcers. I didn't feel like they showed much respect to The Buffs.

People who don't like him are stupid. FACT.

I have to break my silence to respond to this thread, because I find it crazy that SOOOO many of you actually like Bill Walton. Yes, I do respect a lot of you in this thread in terms of bball knowledge, at least through your posts, and yes, I am an idiot, whichI have proven when I used to post consistently... ... ...BUT BILL WALTON SUCKS! I'll be honest, I haven't watched him do a lot of PAC12 games, specifically because he's doing them. Who knows, maybe he has improved as an announcer. When he was doing the NBA though, he proved to be an egomaniac that spewed drivel the entire telecast. If I'm a stupid idiot, which I am, those of you that love Bill Walton are morally destitute. FACT.

Gives a cake to Dave Pasch: " I'd have put candles on it, but unlike in Colorado, they don't let you spark up here."

Priceless

I laughed several times last night. I like that. I liked that I got it while learning why pulling Zeus out of the lane and having Wes make an entry pass to Dustin was misguided or insights into how the Buffs should have sagged the guards in on defense to prevent penetration and post entry & given the jump shot was our only chance - that UA would be cold - was our best shot while undermanned, among other things. It was a great basketball broadcast.

Gives a cake to Dave Pasch: " I'd have put candles on it, but unlike in Colorado, they don't let you spark up here."

Priceless

Or, "Shane Battier can get as high as he wants." I'm pretty over the mj association, but I get a kick out of Walton shoving it in ESPN's faces. It's almost like he's daring ESPN to fire him.

"In those four wins (against Arizona) the opposing team has stormed the court after a victory seven times"...
That made me laugh last night. So did his line after Dustin took it strong down the right side of the lane and made an easy lay up...something like, "Arizona would do well to remember that Dustin Thomas is right handed and will remain so, for the rest of tonight's game."

His hippy schtick can get old, but put me in the crowd that thinks he brings something of value to the broadcast as is one of the very few announcers that I enjoy listening to regardless of the teams who are playing.

That made me laugh last night. So did his line after Dustin took it strong down the right side of the lane and made an easy lay up...something like, "Arizona would do well to remember that Dustin Thomas is right handed and will remain so, for the rest of tonight's game."

That was funny. I also loved Jay Bilas' comment on his wearing of Bill's Grateful Dead t-shirt: "When in Rome, do as the Romanians do ... I learned that from a UCLA correspondence course I took once." :lol:

Or, "Shane Battier can get as high as he wants." I'm pretty over the mj association, but I get a kick out of Walton shoving it in ESPN's faces. It's almost like he's daring ESPN to fire him.

Oh, ESPN loves it. They wouldn't be sending Jay Bilas across the country to be a third announcer if they didn't know that Pasch and Walton are becoming stars.

Bill Walton is the BB announcer equivalent to Drops of Jupiter, by Train.

He doesn't hate CU. He just loves everyone else more.

Watching the Utah vs UA game and he's slobbering all over their dicks.

Love Walton. It's ok if there's one guy who, unlike every other shill on the air, doesn't toe the company line.

To be fair ... they are two pretty damn good teams.

Heh, meant Utah. He hasn't really said much about Arizona. That's what was surprising. Arizona is the belle of the Pac12, esp with a down UCLA team. It's just Utah, Utah, Utah. When I watched the Utah game I thought it was just because they were ranked top 10. Against Arizona it doesn't really feel like feels impartial.

I would just like to point out since he whine like a little girl last night that @phyltopia invented #BillWaltonBingo. This even though I found mention of it's usage saying back 10 years and AZ fans doing the same thing but he invented it and got screwed on credit from ESPN yesterday. #PhilInventedIt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back