1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BlacknGold's OL Thoughts Thread - Fixed!

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BlackNGold, Sep 5, 2014.

1. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I went back and watched the CU CSU game on TV with an eye on breakdowning down the game.

I came away really impressed with what CSU was doing in their running game and offensive blocking schemes. i rewatched certain portions of game several times and I realized CSU is teaching an offensive scheme and blocking techniques that feed into the scheme. This is probably why Bibbs had such a great year last year. I am not saying their scheme is going to make them a national power but it is a scheme that is very effective against defenses that do not change it up much (CU).

They have designed blocking lanes (Gap Running) and are maintaining their blocks, the guard or the center gets out on the mlb and the backside tackle is working to cut off backside pursuit. The playside someone kicks out the DE. This is not rocket science - they just executed it very well against the Buffs. CUs defense hardly ever penetrated the LOS - there was one big run by Hart where an Olineman was 7 yards downfield and engaged on Gillam by the time the Hart was at the line of scrimmage. Tupou got put on the grown constantly - not a good performance at all. This scheme is very prevalent in the SEC so obviously the coach brought it with him from Bama.

On this clip Hart is 4 yards past the LOS and has not been touched, Gillam is being blockes and Hart goes for a big gain.

Hart-1.jpg

Looking at the CU offense I could not pick up a blocking scheme - it looked to me like a one on one blocking assignments for a play instead of schemes like gap blocking or zone blocking. If that is the case it is easy to see why our line is just so so - they are not working as a unit.

I came to the conclusion that CU is just too plain vanilla on both offense and defense. We rely on individual performance instead of unit scheme for success - Paul Richardson and Greg Henderson making big plays last year.

Many are high on Gillam but I feel a lot of his tackles are made on downfield pursuit instead of being a true disrupter to the offense like Matt Russell or Jordan Dizon...some of that may be scheme.

Anyway it was fun breaking down the film but miserable watching the game (it ended the same). It is now deleted from the DVR.

aik likes this.
  2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

3. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I have taken to calling our DC Vanilla Baer. It is basic read and react all the way. Rarely is there a wrinkle the O has to worry about.

4. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

I really didn't see much power to CU's blocking either, more screening and catching guys, like every play was a draw.

5. BlackNGold

This is neither one. It is not zone blocking which is almost dead now days, it would be closer to power blocking. Gap blocking still has individual assignments.

BUT my purpose was not to discuss the pros and cons of a scheme but rather to point out that CSU has a scheme they are teaching and executing whereas I am not seeing that at CU.

6. Darth Snow

I find your post unconvincing and factually inaccurate.

(This is where I was a bit of a dick, necessitating a thread split due to our zealous anti-dick policy around here. Sorry for my part, as this is a good discussion)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    absinthe likes this.
  7. BlackNGold

Good - to please you and flounder I won't post anymore. Tired of dickheads like you.

hokiehead likes this.
  8. Darth Snow

What the hell do you want? Sycophantic agreement? Fine, I will bite a bit.

Your comment about zone blocking being "almost dead" is pretty much the reverse of what is true, at this level and in the NFL. That's just one thing that's inaccurate.

And stating that "power" (1 on 1) blocking is not what we are running simply because we suck at it doesn't make sense to me either.

To sum up your entire OP: CSU did well with their scheme, so they have one. CU did poorly with theirs, so they obviously didn't have a scheme.

So your post was factually inaccurate and without any sort of conclusion I could agree with.

9. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

Most NFL teams have some zone blocking plays, but I don't know any that use it as a full time scheme. Not since Shanny was fired, anyway.

10. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I have no doubt what you are saying is true --

But can you explain why this has been going on for TEN YEARS now?

It's not like CU's offensive line (and rushing game) suddenly started sucking when MacIntyre and Bernardi showed up at CU. How do you explain the ****ty offensive line with Strausser, Grimes, Marshall and now Bernardi?? Has it been 10 years of terrible coaching?

11. Darth Snow

Agreed. Hell, even Auburn runs power schemes as well. Washington wasn't pure zone when Shanny was there either, iirc. Point being, zone blocking is alive and well, and even wide spread. Teams mix and match.

12. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

This is what I don't understand about CU. We have had amazing talent on the O line drafted the last several years and I can't think of a time in the last 8-10 years where the O line was ever considered a strength on the team.

This year several posters here are talking about Nembot getting drafted. If we have such talent why the hell can't we rush the ball for more than 3 yards a god damn muther****ing sonofabitch ass sucking play!

been holding that in since Friday night. **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!! ****!

13. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Soldier and Bahk were drafted on talent reasons. Miller was more on his measurables than his game footage. Nembot, if he gets drafted, will be 100% because of his measurables.

14. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I eagerly anticipate your next thread: breakdowning 2; electric boogaloo.

Heywood likes this.
  15. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

We did a lot more chop blocking, ineffectively at that, than I remember during the first viewing.

We did a lot more bringing in Frazier/Slavin in than I think we should. Those guys aren't very good, and Sean Irwin was not the blocker I thought he was, so I'd rather we just spread the other team out. At least McCulloch can block pretty well.

16. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Our coaches prefer a pass-first offense.

17. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

While choosing run plays 55-60% of the time.

18. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Unfortunately true.

Must develop a run first mentality. The passing game will be so much easier to work if there is a decent passing game.

This has gone on for decades it seems. I can't remember a single CU team worth a damn that didn't have an impressive running game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Darth Snow

just commit to something, cause right now we look half assed when forced to either run or pass.

20. Yung Buffalo

Yung Buffalo Club Member Club Member

Good ol' thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

Insightful.

22. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Yes.

23. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think they are committed to the pass game. But I question whether the desire to run is actually there. Just running the ball is not a true commitment to the run game. Running three times inside the 5-yard line is not a commitment to the run game.

24. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

That moment was the moment in that game. Was for me. Knew it right then. Goose cooked.

25. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

You could see it coming too, there are quite a few things we could of called on third down.