What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bleach Report: Top 22 Pro-Style QB

Bleacher Report's CFB 250 is an annual ranking of the best players in college football, regardless of NFL potential. Brian Leigh and Kynon Codrington have studied, ranked and graded the top athletes in the country, narrowed that list down to a mere 250 and sorted by position. Today, we present the Top 22 Pro-Style Quarterbacks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2273883-br-cfb-250-top-22-pro-style-quarterbacks

Great stuff! I hope when they write next year's edition he is in the top 5!

I hate pro-style qbs in college (unless you're Alabama or 2011 Stanford)

I don't care if a kid is a "pro style", a "dual-threat," or any other designation. I just want a kid who helps us win.

A team is much better off having a guy who is highly effective, regardless of style. Current trend is to look for the guys who can give you a lot as runners but if that comes at the cost of a guy who is less effective as a passer which is often the case then I'd rather have the pass first guy.

Sefo isn't and isn't going to be a big running threat. He does have some passing skills that a lot of the dual threat guys don't have.

Critical for us is for two things to happen. One is to provide Sefo with more consistent quality protection, give him the time to get comfortable and make his reads and his throws.

Second is for Sefo to make a step forward in his decision making and eliminate those "big mistakes" that end up being the margin that cost us wins. Get rid of the paniced throws to the flat that end up as pick 6's.

I have no doubt in my mind that Sefo is a QB we can win with. The margin in his play between us winning and losing isn't that huge. It isn't a case of him not being able to do what is needed, he can. We just need him to step his game up to where he can play and hasn't been.

Last edited:
Yawn - talk to me when he goes through a conference game without having a back-breaking turnover.

Yawn - talk to me when he goes through a conference game without having a back-breaking turnover.

Not sure why you can't be happy for the starting QB of your team getting some recognition. I think it's great. Can Sefo make some improvements for next year, sure, and I fully expect that he will. Kid is a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders.

I'm sorry - you're right.

But, as great as his numbers were this year, he cost us games. Now, it could be argued (and you'd probably be right) that with any other QB on the roster, we wouldn't have been close enough to even point to one or two errors that cost us the game, but I don't think anyone who truly watched all of Sefo's game would think he's anywhere near the level that ranking says he is.

I'm sorry - you're right.

But, as great as his numbers were this year, he cost us games. Now, it could be argued (and you'd probably be right) that with any other QB on the roster, we wouldn't have been close enough to even point to one or two errors that cost us the game, but I don't think anyone who truly watched all of Sefo's game would think he's anywhere near the level that ranking says he is.

We ended up 2-10, that alone says that we aren't where we need to be at QB, even if you look at the failings of the defense and the OL.

Point is that Sefo has shown that he can make plays, our offense scored points against most of the defenses we faced.

Fix some things that can be fixed and Sefo is a QB we can win with. That is something a lot of teams don't have. Looking back I never had that sense with Cody, with Hansen, with Webb or with Wood, or with the others we have been running out there for a long time.

We ended up 2-10, that alone says that we aren't where we need to be at QB, even if you look at the failings of the defense and the OL.

Point is that Sefo has shown that he can make plays, our offense scored points against most of the defenses we faced.

Fix some things that can be fixed and Sefo is a QB we can win with. That is something a lot of teams don't have. Looking back I never had that sense with Cody, with Hansen, with Webb or with Wood, or with the others we have been running out there for a long time.

We talk a lot about ceilings that players have. Cody hit his ceiling during his freshman year. We didn't know it then, but really found out in year 2. I would say Tyler never hit his ceiling, as he was mis-managed. Webb and Wood hit their ceiling in HS, and unfortunately never developed much beyond that.

Sefo has improved from year 1 to year 2. I think we have been so snake bitten by QB's recently that we don't know if he will continue to develop.

We talk a lot about ceilings that players have. Cody hit his ceiling during his freshman year. We didn't know it then, but really found out in year 2. I would say Tyler never hit his ceiling, as he was mis-managed. Webb and Wood hit their ceiling in HS, and unfortunately never developed much beyond that.

Sefo has improved from year 1 to year 2. I think we have been so snake bitten by QB's recently that we don't know if he will continue to develop.

Good view of it.

I believe that Sefo has room to develop, no guarantee that he will but I think he will.

Let's hope.

That's what excites me so much about the Montez signing. He might have the highest ceiling we've had at QB in 15 years or more. Luckily, he won't be expected to come in and save the program right away. He gets to sit behind a smart guy with great leadership skills for two years and just soak it all in. Montez could be a star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last I check its a team sport, the difference between the following QBs is Team DEFENSE.

1. RS Jr. Jameis Winston: 65% comp, 24 TD, 17 INT
3. RS Jr. Cody Kesler: 70% comp; 36 TD, 4 INT
4. RS Sr. Garret Grayson:64% comp; 32 TD, 6 INT
5. RS Sr. Bryce Petty: 62% comp; 26 TD, 6 INT
7. RS Sr. Shane Carden: 65% comp; 28 TD, 8 INT
8. Fr. Brad Kaaya: 58% comp; 25 TD, 11 INT
9. So. Christian Hackenberg: 54% comp; 8 TD, 15 INT
10. RS Sr. Taylor Kelley: 57% comp; 20 TD, 5 INT

The following QB from the PAC 12 great #s but didn't win enough games or invited to a bowl.

2. So. Jared Goff: 62% comp; 35 TD, 7 INT
6. RS Sr. Connor Holiday: 67% comp; 32 TD, 11 INT
14. RS Sr. Sean Mannion: 62% comp; 15 TD, 8 INT
20. So. Sefo Liufau: 65% comp; 28 TD, 15 INT

This article recognized 6 QBs out of the PAC12; 6 out of 120+ D1 Colleges is not bad at all.

How did JW threw 17 INT and FSU go undefeated?
How about CH at #9 threw 8 TD, 15 INT and going to a bowl game?
One answer: DEFENSE.

Be thankful the article wasn't about attrition at QBs.

We need all three (Offense, Defense, Special Team) in order to win next year.

Last I check its a team sport, the difference between the following QBs is Team DEFENSE.

1. RS Jr. Jameis Winston: 65% comp, 24 TD, 17 INT
3. RS Jr. Cody Kesler: 70% comp; 36 TD, 4 INT
4. RS Sr. Garret Grayson:64% comp; 32 TD, 6 INT
5. RS Sr. Bryce Petty: 62% comp; 26 TD, 6 INT
7. RS Sr. Shane Carden: 65% comp; 28 TD, 8 INT
8. Fr. Brad Kaaya: 58% comp; 25 TD, 11 INT
9. So. Christian Hackenberg: 54% comp; 8 TD, 15 INT
10. RS Sr. Taylor Kelley: 57% comp; 20 TD, 5 INT

The following QB from the PAC 12 great #s but didn't win enough games or invited to a bowl.

2. So. Jared Goff: 62% comp; 35 TD, 7 INT
6. RS Sr. Connor Holiday: 67% comp; 32 TD, 11 INT
14. RS Sr. Sean Mannion: 62% comp; 15 TD, 8 INT
20. So. Sefo Liufau: 65% comp; 28 TD, 15 INT

This article recognized 6 QBs out of the PAC12; 6 out of 120+ D1 Colleges is not bad at all.

How did JW threw 17 INT and FSU go undefeated?
How about CH at #9 threw 8 TD, 15 INT and going to a bowl game?
One answer: DEFENSE.

Be thankful the article wasn't about attrition at QBs.

We need all three (Offense, Defense, Special Team) in order to win next year.

I think some of Sefo's INTs came from a general sense that the offense had to score a big number of points because the defense wasn't going to hold the opponent down.

When your opponent isn't scoring a lot it is much easier to just take the sack or to throw the ball away, and you aren't making as many risky throws to start with because you are more comfortable running the ball or using more conservative passes.

Back