What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Blog Exchange Better Off Red part 2 their answers to our questions:

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
Here are the historical questions we posed to Better Off Red:

1.) CU/NU has been played for a long time, talk about some of your first memories of the series?

2.) Most CU fans can call a single game that sticks out in their minds during this series for you as a Nebraska fan which would that be, and what about it sticks out?

3.) What are some NU traditions CU fans may not know about but would shed light on what this game means to your fans and your team?

4.) The Friday after Thanks Giving has been a great tradition for CU and NU and given us both a national platform to show case our teams, going forward in the Pac-12 it seems as though CU wont be continuing to play on this day, has Nebraska or the Big-10/12 had any discussions about playing a rivalry type game say NU/Iowa on black Friday?

5.) With us both moving to new conferences next year it is unlikely that we'll play each other much if at all in the future, the death of these long standing rivalries is really the only downside to conference re-alignment, what parts of our series will you miss the most?

And here are the replies we got from the guys at Better Off Red

AllBuffs.com: CU/NU has been played for a long time, talk about some of your first memories of the series?

[From BOR’s Seattlehusker] I’ve seen Nebraska play in person a dozen times but only once in Lincoln. In 1985 at the age of 12 my Dad drove me the 8hr drive from Scottsbluff to Lincoln to see the Buffs play the Huskers. I was excited because NU’s starting QB Travis Turner was a Scottsbluff HS grad. (Sidenote: For what little he played Travis Turner is still revered in his hometown for those few games of stardom.) Coming off a 1-10 season the year prior, CU walked into Lincoln to play the #5 ranked Huskers with a solid 5-1 record. Colorado was also a run dominated team at this point led by Craig Keenan. Nebraska boasted a backfield of Doug Dubose (still one of my favorite Huskers of all time) and Tom Rathman. Sending a message to the Huskers that they were on their way back, the Buffs scored from 2yds out on their first possession to take the 7point lead. Nebraska wasn’t able to match them until they finally put a drive together that ended with a 2yd plunge from Dubose. That was all the scoring in the first half. It wasn’t until late in the 3rd that Nebraska finally pulled ahead. While the TV’s were still at commercial (they didn’t stop the games back then for TV timeouts) Tom Rathman took a FB trap 84 yards for the go ahead TD. We were sitting in the endzone where Rathman was running right towards us. I remember seeing the hole open up, the CU LBs neglecting the FB as they raced outside to stop the option and Rathman rumbling through the hole with no safety in sight. The ‘skers added a FG in the 4th for the final difference in the 17-7 win. Though in the large scheme of things that game was meaningless because Nebraska would finish the season 9-3 ranked on the fringe of the top 10 it cemented the Husker love for this fan. Living in Seattle I attend every game the Huskers play out West and usually travel to Texas every other year to catch them there. I’ll miss CU because they were a strong rival during my formative Husker years.

AllBuffs.com Most CU fans can call a single game that sticks out in their minds during this series for you as a Nebraska fan which would that be, and what about it sticks out?

BOR: That’s easy –1992: Nebraska 52 Colorado 7. It was incredibly cathartic because of what had happened in the three years prior to that one.

First was the 27-21 loss in Boulder in 1989. We outgain the Buffs almost 2-1 but there was Flannigan's 70 yard run in the 1st quarter and two long punt returns by Jeff Campbell. And we recall the Buffs and their fans becoming cocky, loud and mouthy. A little hatred is definitely starting to simmer there...and not just because they are upsetting our comfortable little Big 8 pecking order.

Then came 1990. 27-12 on a rainy Halloween night. Eric Bienemy fumbles 5 times and loses 3 -- and then scores 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter. Other than letting Johnny Mitchell slip loose for a 46-yard TD, the Buffs defense is dominant. Players are yapping before, during and after. We hear the first references to the University of Miami at Boulder.
Next comes the snowball game, a 19-19 tie in 1991. No satisfaction there.

Then comes 1992. From the outset, we can just tell that this is going to be different. Maybe it's the way Koy Detmer flipped the ball over his shoulder to Travis Hill while fleeing from another furious rush – it didn’t exactly give off an aura of confidence. But probably the moment that announces that Colorado's run is over comes when Thorpe Award winner-to-be Deon Figures steams up to drop a freshman QB named Frazier flat on his ass...followed by Frazier bouncing right to his feet and jawing hard with Figures mask-to-mask. To say the crowd goes ballistic is an insult to the term "understatement".

And you know what? I miss it. I did not care for early 90's Colorado. And like us, CU fell off and it's just not the same. It's wonderful to love your team, but the REALLY big wins...you know - the drunk, screaming, crying, hugging other men, friend-shot-buying, same-replays-for-days-watching, sports page saving and brutally hungover the next day and smiling wins? Those only come when your hatred for them burns as strong as your love for yours.

AllBuffs.com: What are some NU traditions CU fans may not know about but would shed light on what this game means to your fans and your team?

BOR: There aren't any traditions specific for the yearly matchup of the Buffs and the Huskers. I know most Husker fans look forward to this game, though, because it's usually been one of the most intense we play all year.

The two traditions that most CU fans will witness during the game are the releasing of the balloons after our first score, which has been a tradition since 1967. The other one is the Blackshirts. As the defensive line coach (George Kelly) said the origin of the Blackshirts was just “an accident of availability.” Following the 1963 season the NCAA allowed football teams to install the two-platoon system, creating separate offensive and defensive units. After the ’64 opener, then-coach Bob Devaney decided he wanted to use the new system and tasked one of his assistants with buying a set of pullovers to help coaches distinguish who’s who on the list. Legend has it that the assistant purchased black shirts because they were hard to steal and he could get a good deal on them. The pullovers were originally handed out before practice to starters and then handed back at the end of the day in order to encourage competition.

AllBuffs.com: The Friday after Thanks Giving has been a great tradition for CU and NU and given us both a national platform to show case our teams, going forward in the Pac-12 it seems as though CU wont be continuing to play on this day, has Nebraska or the Big-10/12 had any discussions about playing a rivalry type game say NU/Iowa on black Friday?

BOR: For the 2011 and 2012 seasons, we play Iowa on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, rather than on Black Friday. I know that Wisconsin initially expressed interest in playing Nebraska on Black Friday, but that was before the divisions were formed and the permanent cross-division rivals were designated. At this point it's hard to say if the Friday football tradition will continue with our move to the Big Ten after the 2011-2012 seasons, but anything is possible.

AllBuffs.com: With us both moving to new conferences next year it is unlikely that we'll play each other much if at all in the future, the death of these long standing rivalries is really the only downside to conference re-alignment, what parts of our series will you miss the most?

BOR: When I look back at growing up in Nebraska, I usually use Nebraska football games as a sort of landmark for what year it was and what I was doing. And it is usually the Colorado games that supply those waypoints. Although Oklahoma holds a spot in my heart as the most hated rival, Kansas as my favorite road trip and Missouri as the most recent nemesis – it is the games against Colorado that supply the majority of my memories: Rathman rumbling, phantom fumbling, early 90s stumbling, Bienemy, Frazier, snow-ball interrupted tie games, 1994’s Epic, Crouch’s overtime run, the agony of 62-36, stands clearing and Henery’s kick. This series has been ridiculously competitive and memorable and I will be sad to see it go.

I will also miss the unique contrast of teams and cultures that existed between Lincoln and Boulder. The rest of the Big 8, and then the Big 12, were at least familiar to Nebraskans. With Colorado - the town, the fans, the culture, and the setting were completely different. As game day television cameras panned the playing field and surrounding areas - it became obvious that the opposing team had traveled to a very different place. There was something special when you blended these differences with the history, the time of year and the emotion.

It will take some time for both teams to build up these types of memories and traditions in our respective conferences. It would be great if we could renew our rivalry in Pasadena over the coming years.

And a second set of answers focused on the game this week:

AllBuffs.com: Historically the W/L of this series is pretty lopsided (as Buff fans have heard a lot this week). But the majority of recent games have been tight and since I've been actively involved in the rivalry it is something like 4-9 with very few blow-outs (01 and 05 excepted) what do you expect out of this week's game?

BOR:I have doubts of either team's offense putting up big numbers on Friday -- I think a low scoring close game is the best bet. First off, our offense is not going to blow anyone away Friday - it's either Cody Green or a one-legged Martinez, so zone read is out and straight ahead with Helu/Burkhead mixed with play action is in. Prognostication for this game is difficult given each team’s recent change in fortunes – the key will likely be turnovers. We love to lay it on the ground and if Cody is allowed more than four throws downfield, at least one will sail 10 yards over a receivers head for a pick. If these give Colorado a short field/defensive TD or two, this game gets real interesting, real quick.

However, this CU's only shot as their offense is going nowhere. Make fun of the Pelinis all you want, but they can coach and inspire a defense and they'll want a message sent Friday. Stewart may get a few yards here & there and McKnight can be a threat, but the Huskers have simply tortured QB's this year and even a rejuvenated Cody Hawkins is far from the best of those. I look for NU to grab an early lead against a Buffs D that ranks 84th nationally in scoring, protect the ball and bore the living crap out of everyone a la our 2009 offense.

Something like 20-10 sounds about right with a maybe a turnover or a 12-4 penalty ratio tossed in. And since this is Nebraska - Colorado, absolutely nothing will play out as predicted.

Allbuffs.com: The line opened on this game at 24 and last I checked this morning it was down to 17.5 no doubt much of that on the Martinez injury and the drama coming out of Lincoln after the A&M game, can you share a Nebraska fan insights into what all went down?

BOR:This has been an odd few days for the Nebraska football program. We did our best to cover it blow-by-blow, but here’s the Cliff’s Notes version: Martinez reinjures ankle vs. A&M; Martinez calls/texts dad from locker room; Bo berates Martinez for calling/texting dad; NU loses A&M game on phantom calls; Carl Pelini attacks photographer; Martinez skips practice; Martinez quits/doesn’t quit; Martinez is cut/isn’t cut; Chancellor Perlman speaks out against Bo’s antics; Martinez is “still on the team”; Bo apologizes, sort of; Carl apologizes, sort of; Osborne chastises Bo, sort of; Bo announces Cody Green will likely start; Niles Paul injures foot and will miss game. Exhale.

Allbuffs.com: Last time in Lincoln Roy Helu Jr killed us on the ground and he had a record game earlier this year, yet I am hearing a lot about Rex Burkhead this week – which is the real threat and which will CU see more of Friday?

BOR:They are both legit threats and hold my only sense of offensive hope for the rest of the year. Respecting their running threat will keep the passing game viable. Rex has great eyes and burst into the hole, not elite break-away speed but he will keep the sticks moving. Expect to see him out of the wildcat some. The running game has bogged down against fast defensive fronts. This current QB deficient offense, much like the NU offenses of old, will find its success in both phases through success in the run first.

Allbuffs.com: Is Martinez going to play? If so what do you think he’ll be capable of? or what should we expect from Green?

BOR:I don't expect Martinez to play. Not only did he reinjure his right foot on Saturday but he showed up to practice on Monday in a boot to his left foot (officially called a stubbed toe). Green has yet to show his recruiting promise...he shows flashes with arm, but hasn't shown himself to be the legit running threat (although he holds the fastest 10 yd dash record for any quarterback at Nebraska). For him it appears to be confidence and decision making that slow him down.

AllBuffs.com: Speaking of Martinez, I am no fan of the first initial partial last name trend of nick-naming (K-mart, T-mac, etc.) but “T-Magic” is taking it to a new, and not better level. Where did that come from and who thinks this is a good idea? Was Pelini yelling at him to get a new nickname on the sideline?

BOR:The nickname actually comes from the family. (The link to the complete story is http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...erback-taylor-martinez-has-magic-touch-101510.) The short version is that after dad's divorce, the family had hit rock bottom, moved into a tiny house and was close to broke as dad changed careers from teaching to real estate. The housing boom then took off, they struck it rich and Dad remarried and made "Martinez Magic" the family motto and nickname followed as Taylor's high school career took off. But agreed, it was a little difficult to stomach that nickname for a guy who had yet to play a down.

Allbuffs.com: This represents the last Big-12 game for both of us (you secretly know the refs are going to screw you) I can say with almost zero regret we are glad to be out of the old Big-12 (mack-10) conference and off to the Pac-12 south. How are Nebraska fans feeling about their successful move to the Big(10)12 or whatever they’ll call it? Any expectations or excitement? Any regrets over leaving?

BOR:To the first, feelings are mixed. Our history is directly tied with the old Big 8 schools and it's difficult to know that there are a lot of really familiar faces we won't be seeing any longer. However, it's been made crystal clear that the new Big 12 is concerned about schools north of Oklahoma only so far as filler to keep a conference alive. They are to toe the line and if they ever feel like that doesn't work, then Texas and company will be happy to leave them high & dry. Nebraska didn't see much of future in that and did what was best for Nebraska. I'm not sure how we fit philosophically with the Big 10, but there definitely seems to be more of team approach at the conference level. It also feels more secure to be in a conference with a real history as opposed to one that was thrown together for economic reasons.

To the second, there's always going to be excitement over something new. You know how everyone gets jazzed for that new non-con big name opponent? It's like we're getting 7 or 8 of them at once. Good times.

Personally, there aren’t many regrets. The Big 8 is dead. College football is a business and has been since the days of Red Grange and Slingin' Sammy. The Big 12 remnants are like slats across quicksand and there's a good chance that another go 'round of musical chairs will scatter our fellow northerners to the WAC, Conference USA, Big East, etc. before we're halfway through the new decade. Nebraska did what it had to do and it's almost time to move on. I'm sure Colorado can relate.

Back