What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bob Diaco

Diaco is indeed a wonder. As an ND grad (and a CU grad) i am conflicted. He has created what I have been pining for for years, an effective ND defense. Now that it is here, I think Diaco is a big part of it although I must say Kelly has FINALLY been recruiting defensive players where Willingham and especially Weis just punted on that side of the ball. So while I would like to see the Buffs get an effective head coach, I am hoping Diaco is like Norm Chow and has found his true calling as a coordinator.

Why? 2 years as a RB coach at the major college level? No thanks.
3 years. He's young and he's winning at Western Kentucky. Those guys moved up to D1 in 2008 and won 2 games in their first two years. Their point differential per game in 2009 was -19.

Taggart comes in and only wins 2 games in 2010. But, the point differential dropped to -10. The next year? He won 7 games and took them to a bowl. This year? He's 6-2 with his first BCS win over Kentucky.

He coached with Harbaugh twice. He was co offensive coordinator with Jack Harbaugh at WKU at age 26. WKU won the D1AA championship that year. This guy can coach. And he's doing a great job at a school that had never competed at the D1 level (Boyle?). If any guy can elevate the roster he inherits then it's this guy. He's proven he can do so. He was also part of the rebuilding effort at Stanford.

Chip Kelly was hired from New Hampshire. Jim Harbaugh was hired from University of San Diego.

You don't need BCS experience to succeed here. You need to know how to do a lot with a little and Taggarts proving he can right now.

I liked Diaco. Then I read this:

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2011/08/10/the-zen-of-diaco/

“I mean, he’ll talk about turtles. He’ll talk about scorpions. I think he might have read a lot of books when he was younger or something like that. But he’s always got a story for something.”

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Whatever, his defenses ****ing produce. Hawk just said stupid **** constantly without ever backing it up. I'm still on the hire him now bandwagon.

3 years. He's young and he's winning at Western Kentucky. Those guys moved up to D1 in 2008 and won 2 games in their first two years. Their point differential per game in 2009 was -19.

Taggart comes in and only wins 2 games in 2010. But, the point differential dropped to -10. The next year? He won 7 games and took them to a bowl. This year? He's 6-2 with his first BCS win over Kentucky.

He coached with Harbaugh twice. He was co offensive coordinator with Jack Harbaugh at WKU at age 26. WKU won the D1AA championship that year. This guy can coach. And he's doing a great job at a school that had never competed at the D1 level (Boyle?). If any guy can elevate the roster he inherits then it's this guy. He's proven he can do so. He was also part of the rebuilding effort at Stanford.

Chip Kelly was hired from New Hampshire. Jim Harbaugh was hired from University of San Diego.

You don't need BCS experience to succeed here. You need to know how to do a lot with a little and Taggarts proving he can right now.

I don't believe CU can afford to take a risk and hope for a homerun hire. I want someone I don't have doubts about. Competence, even if we maybe don't get greatness. Give me a Frank Solich type this time. We can go dynamic with the one after that.

I don't believe CU can afford to take a risk and hope for a homerun hire. I want someone I don't have doubts about. Competence, even if we maybe don't get greatness. Give me a Frank Solich type this time. We can go dynamic with the one after that.
Get us a coach that can get this team running back at a 6-6 level/7-5 level with solid BCS depth and then start looking for the next star. We need someone that can lay a strong foundation first.

You make a good case for him, but it still sounds pretty risky. Not that any avenue we pursue isn't risky, but I'd just rather see us try the big time school coordinator route. I mean, are we sure this guy isn't Hawk? Or Turner Gill?

You make a good case for him, but it still sounds pretty risky. Not that any avenue we pursue isn't risky, but I'd just rather see us try the big time school coordinator route. I mean, are we sure this guy isn't Hawk? Or Turner Gill?

Hawk wasn't tutored/mentored by both Harbaughs and had no BCS experience. He has offensive coordinator experience, which one-ups this head coach and his assistants. Hawk also was handed a program that had already been built. He commands respect and gets it. He has recruited for Stanford in the California (Riverside County), Florida, Georgia, Kentucky areas. He only makes about 450000$ and his offense is fun to watch and effective and WKU leads in time of possession in 2012 and 2011, and is top five in 2010:

For Taggart, that starts with borrowing Harbaugh's offensive philosophy. At Western Kentucky, the offense relies heavily on fullbacks and tight ends to boost a power run game and led the nation in time of possession in 2011. Sound familiar? It should. Stanford led the nation in time of possession in 2010.http://www.ruleoftree.com/2012/9/20/3363630/jim-harbaughs-blueprint-how-coaches-are-copying-stanford

Hawk wasn't tutored/mentored by both Harbaughs and had no BCS experience. He has offensive coordinator experience, which one-ups this head coach and his assistants. Hawk also was handed a program that had already been built. He commands respect and gets it. He has recruited for Stanford in the California (Riverside County), Florida, Georgia, Kentucky areas. He only makes about 450000$ and his offense is fun to watch and effective and WKU leads in time of possession in 2012 and 2011, and is top five in 2010:

For Taggart, that starts with borrowing Harbaugh's offensive philosophy. At Western Kentucky, the offense relies heavily on fullbacks and tight ends to boost a power run game and led the nation in time of possession in 2011. Sound familiar? It should. Stanford led the nation in time of possession in 2010.http://www.ruleoftree.com/2012/9/20/3363630/jim-harbaughs-blueprint-how-coaches-are-copying-stanford

Yeah I've read his wikipedia page..

Look, he sounds like a good candidate. Likely not Hawk. But he's still pretty risky. He's a young guy that is at a smaller school, albeit D1 now at least.

I guess I'd be more in favor of the guy, but I don't care for a couple of things:

1. smash mouth pro style offense. We're currently failing hard at that one. I'm not a fan of the pro style offense in college football. I'd rather we look for a spread guy.
2. He recruits the south mostly.. that's not going to help us.
3. Time of possession is the most worthless statistic known to modern football.

Maybe he is the next Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh, who knows? I think those guys are some pretty rare examples, though. Why can't we, just once, take the route the rest of the college football world takes? Hire an up and coming coordinator from a powerhouse. We did it with Mac and it worked great. At some point it'd be nice if we attempted to abide by the law of averages.

Right now, he's a risk. But, when we're ready to hire a new coach in 1 to 2 years, his resume may look even better. But, in reality, which coach isn't a risk? BCS coordinators have failed. Up and comers have failed. Lifetime position coaches have failed. No matter what the guy's experience is, we need to find the right fit for us. Granted, peoples' opinion may differ on what we need.

I want a coach who can come in here and elevate the talent of the roster he inherits from day 1. I don't want to hear more excuses about how this program is burned to the ground. I don't want to hear our fans talk about how talent deficient we are.

All we need in year 1 is a guy to make us competitive. We don't need a bowl game. We just need to keep games close and steal a few. This is what Harbaugh did in year 1 at Stanford. This is what Taggart did in year 1 at Western Kentucky. This is what I think we need here to rebuild. I want to see a bowl game within 3 years, but we shouldn't be losing in blowout fashion in years 1 and 2 if we're not making bowl games.

Back to Taggart: He's proving he's a good coach on his own. So, ya, the Harbaugh experience is great, but I'm more focused on what he's doing now. He's a young guy winning at his alma mater, a school with no history winning at the D1 level. He's not used to walking on campus with a talent rich roster. That gives him relevant experience.

Keep in mind: I'm not arguing that this is the coach we should hire. But, this is the type of person we should be interviewing. He has everything I'd look for on a resume.

To White Rabbit: Another poster pointed out the differences between Hawkins and Taggart, but Turner Gill had one winning season at Buffalo and it came in year 3. He regressed in year 4 before Kansas hired him. Turner Gill is also 15 years older than Taggart. Gill was a lifetime position coach before Buffalo.

On Frank Solich, he's 68 years old right now. Is he up for another rebuilding job at that age?

Last edited:
The point about any coach being a risk is accurate. If there was ever a sure fire, can't lose coaching hire, it was when CU hired Chuck Fairbanks in 1978. There's no way of knowing for sure whether the guy you hire will work out or not.

On Frank Solich, he's 68 years old right now. Is he up for another rebuilding job at that age?

To clarify, I don't want Solich. I brought him up as a prototype for what I'm talking about. Solid, experienced football coach who we know will lay a foundation of solid football. I mean this versus a high risk / high reward type of coach (Neuheisel at the time we hired him would be the prototype for that).

A good example of a Solich type would be Troy Calhoun. You know he'd put us on a solid footing and get the most out of current talent (even if his press conferences put us to sleep).

A good example of a Neuheisel type would be Tosh Lupoi. Young, charismatic, great recruiter, fantastic network in the Pac-12... but only 30 years old and hasn't been more than a run game coordinator.

Back