What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn extended

Now, if you are talking about Athletic fundraising...

We're still in pretty good shape, IMO. Look, Bohn had to start from nothing, and he's managed to raise enough money to make renovations to the track complex, fund locker room renovations at Dal Ward, build the practice bubble and the basketball/volleyball practice facility. I'm not concerned with what other schools are doing because we started from so far behind. We're catching up fast. Seriously, of all the things to be critical of Bohn about, fundraising shouldn't be one of them. He's been pretty good. At the end of the day, we don't want a guy who does nothing but raise funds, either.

Be angry about the CSU contract. Be angry that D2 got a year (or more) than he should have. But to criticize him over fundraising is petty.

We're still in pretty good shape, IMO. Look, Bohn had to start from nothing, and he's managed to raise enough money to make renovations to the track complex, fund locker room renovations at Dal Ward, build the practice bubble and the basketball/volleyball practice facility. I'm not concerned with what other schools are doing because we started from so far behind. We're catching up fast. Seriously, of all the things to be critical of Bohn about, fundraising shouldn't be one of them. He's been pretty good. At the end of the day, we don't want a guy who does nothing but raise funds, either.

Be angry about the CSU contract. Be angry that D2 got a year (or more) than he should have. But to criticize him over fundraising is petty.

Thx for the info. I forgot that with Tharp we were still in the 70's. Hopefully the California buff club push bears oil fruit.

i finally got through this whole thread and what i get out of it is that a lot of people here have:
  • very short memories
  • very little patience

when bohn came into the department, we were on a steep downward spiral...not quite burned to the ground (sorry for the d2 metaphor...) but pretty dang crispy. bohn has made some mistakes along the way, and will likely make some more. but imo he has made significant progress with the resources he had available, and under a great deal of scrutiny.

i like the extension for the continuity it gives us moving into the new era. i'm ready to give him 5 years in the new conference, but i reserve the right to re-evaluate my opinion on an annual basis...

i finally got through this whole thread and what i get out of it is that a lot of people here have:

• very short memories
  • very little patience

when bohn came into the department, we were on a steep downward spiral...not quite burned to the ground (sorry for the d2 metaphor...) but pretty dang crispy. bohn has made some mistakes along the way, and will likely make some more. but imo he has made significant progress with the resources he had available, and under a great deal of scrutiny.

i like the extension for the continuity it gives us moving into the new era. i'm ready to give him 5 years in the new conference, but i reserve the right to re-evaluate my opinion on an annual basis...

Look. I understand things were bad with Tharp, but this shouldn't be the standard that we all compare MB to. CU has a golden opportunity to really get things going in this new conference. We really need to set the bar a little higher. I think some people here have accepted mediocrity.

Last edited:
Are you aware that CU is currently $900MM into a $1.5B capital fundraising campaign? That's NINE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS that they've raised. That's not for the AD, it's for the school.

I'm continually amazed when I hear people bemoan the fundraising efforts at CU. It's like you're not even paying attention.
We're talking about the athletic dept here. Try to pay attention. :lol:

Valdez, I'm honestly wondering what more you think Bohn could be doing in terms of fundraising. You don't just flip a switch and the money starts rolling in. It just doesn't work that way. I also wonder who you think would be better. Just because they raise more money someplace else does not mean that the AD at that school is better than Bohn. The situations are different. The donor base at CU hasn't been tapped since... well, forever.

Valdez, I'm honestly wondering what more you think Bohn could be doing in terms of fundraising. You don't just flip a switch and the money starts rolling in. It just doesn't work that way. I also wonder who you think would be better. Just because they raise more money someplace else does not mean that the AD at that school is better than Bohn. The situations are different. The donor base at CU hasn't been tapped since... well, forever.
So six years is just flipping a switch? :lol:

I know you'll never say a bad thing about Bohn. Even when he does something wrong, it's never his fault. And yes I know. He built this place from the ground up. CU never had donors. That's why Tharp built the suites on the east side. I believe it was his own money from Liquor Mart.

I guess I should just give up hope, CU will always suck because we've sucked since... well, forever. CU is no longer a destination, and going to the weedwacker bowl is a major accomplishment. Go Buffs.

You guys are really going to hate me!:lol:

I was just thinking that if things are really that bad (as some of you say) for the athletic department, why not take a cue from Vandy and just eliminate the whole department? We supposedly have never had the donors, and our alums are cheapskates who just bail out back to Cali after they graduate. I guess I've been wasting my time buying season tickets and joining the Buff Club. CU is, and always will be a average program.

You guys were right. :gobuffs:

A little dramatic? Maybe, but if this is how bad things are, then we may as well save ourselves $300,000+ and just shut down the AD. Wouldn't it be silly to keep an ADept around knowing they're never going to really get anything significant done? Everytime we need to hire a coach, we can just form a panel. No need for an AD.

Is it time to merge the seriously underfunded athletic dept into the University?

Vanderbilt eliminates athletic department

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Vanderbilt will eliminate its athletic department in a major shakeup designed to curb the ills of big-time college athletics.

Vanderbilt will continue playing intercollegiate sports, but the reorganization merges the departments that control varsity and intramural athletics, putting sports under the central university administration, the school said Tuesday.

"There is a wrong culture in athletics, and I'm declaring war on it," Vanderbilt Chancellor Gordon Gee said at a news conference.

No NCAA sports programs or jobs will be eliminated, but just about everything else will change at a school that has run one of the country's cleanest programs in the last half-century. That includes the elimination of the athletic director position, which Todd Turner has held for seven years.

Turner has been offered a job as special assistant to the chancellor for athletic and academic reform, a position in which he would advance "a national agenda for the reform of intercollegiate athletics."

"Let there be no misunderstanding of our intention: Vanderbilt is committed to competing at the highest levels in the Southeastern Conference and the NCAA, but we intend on competing consistent with the values of a world-class university," Gee said.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/510053194/Vanderbilt-eliminates-athletic-department.html?pg=1

Last edited:

I think you're missing the point trying to be made. It's not that Bohn sucks at fundraising, but he shouldn't be extended SOLELY due to his fundraising efforts, when one, they haven't been THAT amazing, and two, he's made a lot of other mistakes (KMac and D2). You keep lauding him for his fundraising - that's fine. He's done a commendable job compared to Tharp, but do you honestly feel that his fundraising was so spectacular that it overrides his mistakes, and then some? Outside of the bball/volleyball facility (which I credit a lot to Bz for putting it in his contract) and a bare minimum practice bubble (NOT an indoor facility), what great upgrades have been made? I understand that we've made some nominal improvements here and there elsewhere (weight room, T&F, etc), but I'm being serious, teach me if I'm in error - what would you consider a landmark fundraising achievement of Bohn if his fundraising warrants him getting an extension?

The best way to fundraise is to win. You get a winning football program and you'll see dollars come in - pretty simple. Bohn has done a very good job in spite of the football program, but he also hurt his own efforts by his own hire (and extension of D2). An AD's primary job is to get winning programs the NCAA-legal way in my opinion, and all else will take care of itself, including fundraising.

I think you're missing the point trying to be made. It's not that Bohn sucks at fundraising, but he shouldn't be extended SOLELY due to his fundraising efforts, when one, they haven't been THAT amazing, and two, he's made a lot of other mistakes (KMac and D2). You keep lauding him for his fundraising - that's fine. He's done a commendable job compared to Tharp, but do you honestly feel that his fundraising was so spectacular that it overrides his mistakes, and then some? Outside of the bball/volleyball facility (which I credit a lot to Bz for putting it in his contract) and a bare minimum practice bubble (NOT an indoor facility), what great upgrades have been made? I understand that we've made some nominal improvements here and there elsewhere (weight room, T&F, etc), but I'm being serious, teach me if I'm in error - what would you consider a landmark fundraising achievement of Bohn if his fundraising warrants him getting an extension?

The best way to fundraise is to win. You get a winning football program and you'll see dollars come in - pretty simple. Bohn has done a very good job in spite of the football program, but he also hurt his own efforts by his own hire (and extension of D2). An AD's primary job is to get winning programs the NCAA-legal way in my opinion, and all else will take care of itself, including fundraising.

the problem with your win=$$ theory is there is no evidence of that being the case as pointed out in relation to our national title and big-12 title seasons.

VJ- serious question i went looking for a post of mine that detailed what Bohn has done from a fundraising nd facility stand point. Although I couldn't find it, I found three other threads where all you say is there are better options, you also said that about replacing Bohn with Mac.

SO if there are all these great "other" options, who the hell are they?

VJ- serious question i went looking for a post of mine that detailed what Bohn has done from a fundraising nd facility stand point. Although I couldn't find it, I found three other threads where all you say is there are better options, you also said that about replacing Bohn with Mac.

SO if there are all these great "other" options, who the hell are they?

Valdez has applied for CU's AD position every year since 1989. FACT!

the problem with your win=$$ theory is there is no evidence of that being the case as pointed out in relation to our national title and big-12 title seasons.

...serious??!... ...

...Our winning in the late 80s definitely helped Dal Ward get built, which at the time was considered top-notch. I'm sure there are other things that were going AD activities going on at the time.

There are many examples of winning getting money to trickle in... ... ...

...serious??!... ...

...Our winning in the late 80s definitely helped Dal Ward get built, which at the time was considered top-notch. I'm sure there are other things that were going AD activities going on at the time.

I also think that the basketball program being relevant makes a huge difference. It keeps CU on peoples' minds and in the conversation an extra 3 months of the year. Winning does a lot for funding. The poor job of previous ADs at growing the Buff Club and building a solid foundation speaks to the mess that Bohn inherited. I don't buy the "that's just the way it is in Colorado" argument.

There is a challenge with Denver being an NFL town, but it's no different than Seattle and UDub which I think is the most similar program to CU in the Pac-12. Storied top 25 football history, not much basketball history (though they've been consistently good of late), beautiful campus with a stadium in the midst of great natural scenery, really good academics, and in-state recruiting resources that are middling at best (although they've got better basketball recruiting). Washington's got an in-state population of 6.7 million to our 5.0 million, so they have some advantages there. But they've also got another in-state BCS program, which we don't. Their enrollment is higher 42k vs 30k (undergrad + grad), but our enrollment is growing at a faster rate. Our state population is growing at a faster rate, too (1.8% per year vs 1.5% per year for Washington).

We were both also great at the same time and somewhere between awful and good in the years since.

Yet, Washington gets over 66k fans per game (#23 in the country) and pulls in donations of about $12 million per year while we're around 50k and $2 million.

Bohn had a huge hole to dig out of. And this is without going too deep into the fact that the MBB program hasn't been making any money in, well, ever.

...serious??!... ...

Coors gave $5 million to help fund the construction of Dal Ward. In exchange, CU named the basketball arena the "Coors Events Center."

The original price tag on Dal Ward was $8.9 million. The remaining $3.9 million came via private donations. (I believe the actual construction price tag came to $14 million when all was said and done.)

When was the last time CU athletics had a single $5 million donation?

CU ranked eighth among conference members in revenues with $49,859,693 (against $48,207,325 in expenses), topping only Baylor, Kansas State, Texas Tech and Iowa State.

• Baylor Athletic Facilities - I'd be pretty content if we had the facilities they have. They're baseball and indoor football facilities are pretty nice.
  • Kansas State Facilities - About the worst facilities in this group. I do think CU should do the same thing they did with their fieldhouse. Balch would be a great place for womens VBall. That is if we put some money in to upgrade it.
  • Texas Tech Athletics Facilities - Really nice facilities. The T&F program is really sweet.
  • Iowa State Facilities - They are now building their second indoor football facility. They originally practiced in Bergstrom, but they now are working on a new facility.
  • Colorado Facilities - They put Balch and a cross country course as a Facility. Oy.
I really don't want to look at the Pac 10 list. I'm sure were at the bottom there too.

Coors gave $5 million to help fund the construction of Dal Ward. In exchange, CU named the basketball arena the "Coors Events Center."

The original price tag on Dal Ward was $8.9 million. The remaining $3.9 million came via private donations. (I believe the actual construction price tag came to $14 million when all was said and done.)

When was the last time CU athletics had a single $5 million donation?

:huh:

It was called Coors Events center long before Dal Ward was even constructed

And the AD had a $5 million donation abotu 5 years ago, thats how they were able to get the bubble.

Last edited:
valdez = Trolling.
:lol: That's funny. When I agree with you, then I'm cool. FB buddies.

...Yet when I disagree with you on something, I'm a troll. :rofl:
images

Last edited:
:lol: That's funny. When I agree with you, then I'm cool. FB buddies.

...Yet when I disagree with you on something, I'm a troll. :rofl:
images

? You are weird man, weird. The get rid of the AD stuff is pure trolling, you are lookin for trouble, don't know why you are being all serial about it. You need to crawl out of your own ass every now and then :lol:

? You are weird man, weird. The get rid of the AD stuff is pure trolling, you are lookin for trouble, don't know why you are being all serial about it. You need to crawl out of your own ass every now and then :lol:
I think we can do better. It's just my opinion, if you don't like it I'm not sure what to tell you. I really don't think I've ever been accused of trolling by anyone in the time I've been on this site.

Am I trying to stir things up on a offseason thread? Sure, but just because you don't subscribe to my point of view doesn't mean I'm trolling. Whatever that is. I've laid out what I think of MB, and it never got personal. I have repeatedly said he's a great person. I just don't think he's a great AD.

This is an internet message board. Try not to take yourself so seriously all the time.

Last edited:
we'll try and get those recruiting forum posts back for you, sorry about the 30 day inactive auto archive/delete.
:lol:

I'm not sure you are informed about what happened. There's two sides to every story young man. :smile2: I've moved on. You should too. :thumbsup:

BTW, Let me say again that I really think BuffNik is doing a tremendous job. I have no issues with saying he's head and shoulders above me in the recruiting threads. He's taken it to another level. I think comments like Abs is doing here tries to cheapen my praise for Nik. I couldn't disagree more. I had a issue over two or three years ago. I've moved on, but it looks like your trying to beat a dead horse back to life.

At least I know your true colors. I bet you've been dying to throw that in my face for a couple years now. :lol:

Last edited:
I think we can do better. It's just my opinion, if you don't like it I'm not sure what to tell you. I really don't think I've ever been accused of trolling by anyone in the time I've been on this site.

Am I trying to stir things up on a offseason thread? Sure, but just because you don't subscribe to my point of view doesn't mean I'm trolling. Whatever that is. I've laid out what I think of MB, and it never got personal. I have repeatedly said he's a great person. I just don't think he's a great AD.

This is an internet message board. Try not to take yourself so seriously all the time.

You do realize I haven't argued with you in this thread right? And that I was against the Bohn extension? :doh: And yes, you were trolling with that nonsense. As you just admitted.

Back