1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bohn speaks to Woody Paige

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Jens1893, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

"We competed as hard as any school could (to get Jones). We made a compelling, competitive offer that was extremely well thought out. He and his people were very receptive to everything we did, and both sides were candid throughout the process."

"It was so extremely close. We thought we were really in a good position to get the deal until early (Wednesday) night. Then there was a whole new development."

"When it came down to it, he just couldn't do it, couldn't make the final decision to come to Colorado. ... There are a lot of things I can't go into now. But, they should be clear in the next day or so."

"We've been working on a Plan B in the past week, and we're sure we will get a coach everybody will be proud of."

2. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

In other words, "we had him until he saw a bigger bag of money in Knoxville. He'll be coaching at UT by noon Friday."

3. JWP303

JWP303 Active Member

We'll never know, but I'd love to find out when UT first contacted BJ and how much that weighed on his mind even early in the process... You've got to believe they reached out to gauge his interest much earlier than Wednesday, and that explains why he was dragging his feet.

4. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Given the fact he'd shopped himself to Kentucky (and accepted their offer) and then Purdue (who knows if he accepted an offer from them or not) and Colorado (again accepted offers, multiple times) --- it seems like he was stretching the whole process out as long as he possibly could, just to see which offer would get him the biggest payday.

5. dinger

dinger New Member

Agree 100%. I bet they met him in Charlotte. He was supposed to come back to Cincy in the afternoon, but was still there well into the evening.

6. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I look forward to those things becoming clear in the next day or two.

7. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

Good riddance bj. Was never impressed and I'm glad he didn't accept. I still think we will come out of this with a great coach. As I said earlier and read this somewhere. Butch jones is maintainer not a builder. We need a builder. Our guy is still out there. Mike Bohn still has my full support. Go Buffs!!!

8. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Butch Jones seems like a decent coach. Not great, but solid. I would have been ok with him. Not shedding a tear that he is headed elsewhere. Good luck to him.

9. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Hey, Shane Dillon could be player coach and we would probably still be better off than last year. :huh:

10. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

i remember there were early reports jones took the job at purdue too... am i mistaken here?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  11. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Seemed decent, but I can't really get with the way he carried himself in this process.

12. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

I don't fault Bohn for going for his top guy.

13. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

Shut up Bohn...

I don't blame him for not being able to hire Jones. I blame him for making Jones our top choice

14. kalbuff

kalbuff New Member

Can't blame him one bit if he is getting an offer from Tennessee. That's one of those two dozen schools coaches really desire. And they won't be down for long, I bet. But if not it is a black eye for CU.

15. Creebuzz

Nobody really knows how he handled it. The guy is definitely shopping offers. He has that right. I think the prevailing sentiment from the CU community is "meh, whatever".

16. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I'm not to keen on him publicly saying "..... plan B". Cudda said something like, "we've been working on other options this past week". Not sure I'd like to be known as somebody's plan b.

17. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Agree. **** BJ. He will be a long term fail wherever he ends up. Mike? Get this **** figured out. Now.

18. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

So now the new coach will know he is "Plan B" in Bohn's words, awesome

19. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Considering the fact that everybody on Earth knew they had an offer out to Jones while they were talking to these guys, I doubt any of them are too shocked...

20. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

At least it's a step up from announcing how much you're willing to spend prior to the start of negotiations.

21. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

I don't have a problem with him shopping.

But he shouldn't be ACCEPTING offers if he is shopping still.

22. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

What else is he supposed to say? It was pretty clear that Butch Jones was the #1 candidate. His picture was all over the papers.

23. Creebuzz

No, he shouldn't. It happens all the time, though, in all lines of work. Again, I think the reaction from the community is a collective yawn. He was a solid choice, but not a can't miss coach.

24. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Butch Jones is not a man of his word. Your word is all you have and Butch has sold his. Glad he's not here.

25. Mb2658

Mb2658 Well-Known Member

Maybe they are talking about over the counter emergency contraception. Maybe they really did pull out all of the stops trying to get Jones. Was that really just Jones behind the food cart or were there some ladies hiding with him?

26. CrosbysLeg

CrosbysLeg New Member

Jones must be pretty well regarded amongst professional evaluators if he elicited interest from two SEC programs, a Big Ten, and PAC12 school. I think he'll succeed wherever he goes. He and his representatives certainly didn't handle this situation well, but I don't think you can use that to predict how he'll perform as a coach.

27. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

Yes, **** Bohn for trying to get a coach UCLA, Purdue, Tennessee and possibly some others are hot after :rolling_eyes:

28. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I really hate the way everyone at CU seems to use the word competed. We competed for a coach! Competed is just another word for loss around these parts.

29. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Bohn did everything he could to sign that paranoid little redneck. I'm glad he got away.

Lt.Col.FrankSlade likes this.
  30. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Yes. Very well stated.