1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bohn Throwing up Smoke Screens - Good or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Darth Snow, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Is Bohn's "Smoke Screen" approach a good idea?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. He's not doing a smoke screen approach you Idot!

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Those of you who are as addicted to this process as I am know that every single person with an "inside" source is hearing something different. It seems pretty obvious right now that Bohn is throwing up smoke screens and/or sending up trial balloons as a conscious strategy.

Now, when you are trying to keep the outside world in the dark about what you are trying to do, there are only a few options: Option 1 is to run a tight ship and not let anything leak. Option 2 is to throw out a million false leads so that no one knows which one is actually true. Option 3 is to not try and be secretive and make the process open.

Now, given that evidence suggests Bohn CAN do Option 1 successfully (see: Pac 12 move), is his approach to this coaching search a good idea? It can lead to divisiveness and anger among supporters (I've been used!), but it can lead to good feedback on certain individuals.

What is interesting to me is to compare what he's done here compared to the MBB hire. He was very open with that, had a series of interviews, found a guy he liked, and hired him.

Why all the xtra drama?

2. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Why does it need to be a secret? Just drop 3 million on Mac and EB and lets get this party started.

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Yes. The more no one knows the more pub CU gets on the airwaves. More CU talk the better in my book (even if some of the idiots bash CU, I'm writing about you Vic!).

4. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

Smoke screen didn't work re: Hawk getting fired as the beans were spilled before the players were informed.

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Drives traffic on Allbuffs... thanks Mike!

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Actually I think there were quite a few smoke screens. There was a lot of chatter that Hawkins was going to be fired at the conclusion of the year, and not sooner. Then there was chatter that Bohn wouldn't fire Hawkins until we were - for sure - eliminated from bowl contention (i.e. after 7 losses).

While we all WANTED the Hawkins firing, I think Bohn played it pretty close to the vest. We didn't get any type of "real" confirmation until about 24 hours before the guy was fired. That's pretty good.

7. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

I don't think Bohn planned on firing DH before the season is over. But after the KU debacle and the formation of a lynch mob which would protest outside Folsom for the ISU game, I think he felt he had no choice. That's why he waited until Tuesday b/c by then it was apparent that Boulder would explode if something was not done. If DH wins at KU, and God only knows how/why we didn't, DH stays until the end.

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Hawkins was fired Sunday, FYI. Staff informed Monday, players and press officially Tuesday.

9. MrFrumpylane

MrFrumpylane Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but DiStefano was also out of town on business that weekend. Maybe Bohn waited for him to return to finalize the firing for whatever reasons.

10. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

There is a reason why trial balloons exist. They are used to gauge interest in one of a few different options. This is a good thing. If Coach A is rumored/planted in the papers, and there is a large backlash among the fans, that is very telling.

11. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

IMO, it seems to be MB's style. It appears he frequently floats trial balloons to see the reaction when he doesn't have a definite plan. The HC search would be one of those instances, not that he doesn't have a plan necessarily, just that he is leaving his options open until he HAS to make the decision. Nothing wrong with that approach, I remain guardedly apprehensive about his choice. MB doesn't exactly have a very good record of major coach hires.

12. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

He doesn't need to throw up smoke screens to get a feel for what people think...we already know he's "spying" on AllBuffs and looking @ all those polls quite intently :smile2:

13. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

hope he's not looking at my poll. NTTIAWWT

14. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

Why the heck not