What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn To Be On 1510 AM This Afternoon On Klatt's Show

Oh, sorry I skimmed over some previous posts and thought you guys were disagreeing whether or not negative recruiting happens.

Scott transferring definitely doesn't help us in recruiting that's for sure. Maybe it doesn't matter, though. Purify was a 2*, Speedy is a 2*, Charles was a 2*. Chris Brown was somewhat higher rated if I recall. at least a 3* if not a 4* out of JC.

I thought Chris Brown transfered from NW when Barnett came.

My gut feel tells me Hawkins is probably gone no matter what. I am not so sure winning out saves his job.

To much hurt and pain between him and the boosters at this point.

I think if he were to win out or even win 3 of 4, that might be enough to save his job. Hopefully I'm wrong, that's just my thought. :huh:

I'd have to agree, unless Hawk sneaks in 4 straight wins he's pretty much gone. What's interesting is, what if he wins against A&M, ISU and then the big one against Nebraska? Not too sure he'd get fired after that. It'll be seen as a turnaround and reason to give him another year.

Bohn really is limited in what he can say. He isn't a fan, at least not in the sense that we are. He very may well love CU football, but he runs the athletic department and it is part of his job to be both positive and professional. I am as anti-Hawkins as anyone on this board and have been since I started posting here last year.

Hawkins was the correct hire four years ago. He had all the extra crap that you want out of football coach and the record to, seemingly, back it up. The enthusiasm. The charisma. All of that. If he wasn't hired here he would have gotten a job of this stature, I have no doubt. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and it is now time for him to go.

Losing Bohn as an AD would be a loss, in my opinion. His coaching hires have not worked out, but his job really is much larger. I really love everything he does here except for his hires.

I think it would be wise to hire some sort of consultant or consulting firm - I am sure that they must exist in this business - to select Hawkins' successor. Someone different than who we used last time. Just because his hires haven't worked out doesn't mean he isn't great at every other part of the job; the solution is, rather than letting go of Bohn, to put this particular task in someone else's hand.

My gut feel tells me Hawkins is probably gone no matter what. I am not so sure winning out saves his job.

To much hurt and pain between him and the boosters at this point.

Given all the outside complications to making a move this year, I really think winning out probably would save his job. It would mean a .500 season, bowl eligibility (whether there was an actual bowl slot for them or not) and a season closing win over the evul red. I think that would be enough for Bohn and his superiors to feel they can reasonably sell the idea that things still can work out with Hawk...

When I come to that conclusion, I can understand where the "rooting for a loss" folks are coming from, even if I could never do it.... :huh:

I'd have to agree, unless Hawk sneaks in 4 straight wins he's pretty much gone. What's interesting is, what if he wins against A&M, ISU and then the big one against Nebraska? Not too sure he'd get fired after that. It'll be seen as a turnaround and reason to give him another year.

I think enough of the booster want him gone regardless. I don't think winning will patch things over for him.

Came across to me that A) We have a really good AD B) I wish there were more people going to games C) Hawk's gone.

I think enough of the booster want him gone regardless. I don't think winning will patch things over for him.

I got the impression that Bohn was going to be spending a lot of him time the next few weeks trying to keep the bosters on board.

College career

Brown attended Fort Scott, Kansas Junior College as a freshman and impressed then-Northwestern University head coach Gary Barnett enough to be offered a scholarship there as a running back. But soon Barnett left Northwestern for the University of Colorado, and incoming Northwestern coaches felt Brown was best suited as a receiver. He then transferred to Colorado, where Barnett provided him an opportunity to become one of the school's all-time leading rushers.

I wasn't that far off!

I got the impression that Bohn was going to be spending a lot of him time the next few weeks trying to keep the bosters on board.

I think a lot of his time is always spent doing that.

In the next few weeks it's likely to be an outrageous percentage of his time....

Yeah, you are right. He did talk about getting everyone back on board, and that he needed to do better job of keeping the fan base focused.

I guess I won't be suprised if he is let go. I will always wish he would have gotten a year 5 to see what would have happened. But I just don't see how he can overcome all the hate that is out there right now. Even if he wins.

All and all I don't get the impression that Bohn is committed to Hawkins. I'm under the impression that if we can win 3 of 4 Hawk will be back. Anything short of that I didn't hear any strong endorsement of Hawk.

He clearly said that at the time of the hire Hawkins was a home run, CU landed him after he had turned down other coaching opportunities. Bohn admitted that the on-field sucess is not where he expects it. Bohn said he expects CU to be top half of the Big 12 every season, and consistantly be in bowls, with BCS chances every so often.
:nod:

and he also said it looks very unlikely(or difficult) that Hawk can meet those standards.

Coaches can agree not to negatively recruit.

But what closet do people live in to believe HS prospects ONLY hear from coaches?!!

Jeepers... they have pals, their pals have fathers, brothers, there are uncles, cousins around. There are 'fans in the stands', guys in parking lots, alleys, etc.

Coaches don't have to negatively recruit one bit - every school has opponents, all of those opponents have just as many fans.

I think it would be wise to hire some sort of consultant or consulting firm - I am sure that they must exist in this business - to select Hawkins' successor. Someone different than who we used last time. Just because his hires haven't worked out doesn't mean he isn't great at every other part of the job; the solution is, rather than letting go of Bohn, to put this particular task in someone else's hand.

Yep. Been there done that already. Bohn brought on Chuck Neinas to help find Hawkins. :sad2:

Question should be, do we go down that road again?

Going Sinker...

If Neinas can talk Patterson or Kelly to come here, then great. If we have to go the smaller name route, I think Bohn should compile a lengthy list and do some research on his own. Interview the top 5 candidates he comes up with and make a choice.

Yeah, you are right. He did talk about getting everyone back on board, and that he needed to do better job of keeping the fan base focused.

I guess I won't be suprised if he is let go. I will always wish he would have gotten a year 5 to see what would have happened. But I just don't see how he can overcome all the hate that is out there right now. Even if he wins.

Yeah but like Bohn said winning solves many issues. Look how pleasant this place was after the KU win. The only thing we had to bitch about was DBT, and hell we would do that if we were playing in a BCS bowl right now.

I want Hawk gone, but getting 4 wins to close out the season can/would change a lot of opinions. Especially if they are good quality wins (ie no last second FG to beat ISU etc.).

IF CU were to close out the regular season 6-6 get invited to a bowl and say beat NU by 30 what could anyone say.

Closing out the season with wins - or at least great play over all four quarters - would be a step up. I remember the end of Barnett's last season.

I figure, I want him gone right now. However, if he runs off 4 straight to end the season, I'd definitely wonder if we had to fire him. If I still thought he'd do that, I'd still be supporting him.

Yeah but like Bohn said winning solves many issues. Look how pleasant this place was after the KU win. The only thing we had to bitch about was DBT, and hell we would do that if we were playing in a BCS bowl right now.

I want Hawk gone, but getting 4 wins to close out the season can/would change a lot of opinions. Especially if they are good quality wins (ie no last second FG to beat ISU etc.).

IF CU were to close out the regular season 6-6 get invited to a bowl and say beat NU by 30 what could anyone say.

So what does that say about us as fans then? Shouldn't we have showed more patience and waited for the season to be over before we started calling for his head? If we can admit that a 6-6 season with bowl game saves his job, seems to me we could have saved, us, the players, and the coaching staff a whole **** load of grief by waiting for the season to playout and made sure they knew we were behind them 100% until the end of the season.

bohn talking about how hawk WAS a home run. still feels that way, however that was 4 years ago and we're 2-6. not bowl eligible which is our goal, lofty.. he wants to be in the top half of the big 12.

bohn realizes a lot of chatter is going on, then backs of and says there isn't that much. win over Kansas was a beautiful day at colorado. urges fan base to keep focus so we can recruit good people. he's going to spend his time working on fixing the negative chatter i guess?
All of Hawkins recruiting classes except for Scott's class have been mediocre at best. Bohn knows he's got a no win situation now with Hawkins. He's just dodging bullets while he tries to figure out what to do with Hawkins. If he keeps him, Bohn is no fool - he knows it could mean his job.

So what does that say about us as fans then? Shouldn't we have showed more patience and waited for the season to be over before we started calling for his head? If we can admit that a 6-6 season with bowl game saves his job, seems to me we could have saved, us, the players, and the coaching staff a whole **** load of grief by waiting for the season to playout and made sure they knew we were behind them 100% until the end of the season.

It's been 3+ years. I think the fans have been pretty patient with Hawkins.

Well, then my point stands. If the fan base has been patient enough with him, how can winning out save his job?

Either the boosters want him gone or they don't. If the end of the season can save his job then we should have waited to judge this season after it was completed. Then started all the mud-flinging.

The talk of winning out is hilarious. Put A&M and ISU aside for the second. We are going to win @OSU and then beat Nebraska at home? Laughable...

As fans we are not required to show any patience. I'm pretty sure it is in the fine print on the ticket stub.:lol:

Start of the season my expectation was 7 wins and a bowl. Yes, while technically we can still meet a bowl game and have 7 total wins, how we lose games not give me any hope of that happening.

If we were losing games close, playing competative, mistake free football Hawk would not be in the hot water he is. The problem, and why people including myself have given up on Hawk is the team does not play inspired, they do not play mistake free, and they have not been competative in the majority of the games this year.

It is one thing if you lose a game 24-21 and fight the entire game, it is another when you are down 33-0 before halftime and it does not look like anyone on the sidelines noticed the game had already started.

It is one thing if you lose a game 24-21 and fight the entire game, it is another when you are down 33-0 before halftime and it does not look like anyone on the sidelines noticed the game had already started.

Bingo.. It would be one thing that if we could look realistically at the game and say 2 or 3 plays could have changed the game..

Talkins is getting consistently blown out in his losses and he's in his fourth year..

This team played harder for him the first year with players he didn't even recruit..

Which is why I'm so much in favor of relieving him now.. I don't want Talkins to fall into 3 wins and everyone at the powers to be to say "See we just needed a little time, the team didn't quit on him, the battled back from the valley of death, blah,blah,blah".

Back