What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn: we're not about to give up on Dan Hawkins

The team QUIT on him. The defense came out and didn't care. Period. The offense didn't kick in until Toledo went to prevent defense and the O realized they were being EMBARASSED BY ****ING TOLEDO. Except for a player or two, these guys have lost the faith. No reason to keep a coach that has had his team quit on him.

He KNOWS it. I can't forget how he looked last night. It was awful, he looked like he was about to puke from the first drive on. He has lost faith in HIMSELF.

These are the statements that I keep reading on this board that make no sense to me. Have things ALWAYS gone the way you planned them in your choice of professions? When they didn't did you think walking away and giving up was the way to show your manhood? Did you walk into your bosses office and say "Well I really ****ed this up so I am out of here" I think we both understand that **** happens and when it does, you dig deep and do everything you can to get it turned around. You don't admit defeat and walk away, which is what it appears you are asking Hawkins to do.

My boss hires me with the understanding that I am to turn around the marketing department which has fallen on very hard times. Knowing how difficult the task at hand is, my boss is patient in waiting for returns. After 3 years of hardwork without much visible result to show for all my work, I come in at the begining of my 4th year puffing my chest out and proclaiming to my boss that the marketing department is ready to post its best numbers in the history of the company.
Unfortunately, not only does that prediction not come to pass but it actually ends up being one of the worst years in the history of the company.

Now, do I do the honorable thing and resign before my boss fires me for failure to meet basic goals? Conceding incompetence is totally different from proving one's manhood.

Chilly- this has nothing to do with manhood. It has do with integrity. This man has failed to accomplish his own stated goals. Thus far, his on field management of this team makes the term "incompetence" look brilliant. When Hawkins told those parents to have their kids go play intramurals if they could not stand the heat in the kitchen, he was questioning their "manhood." I prefer not to descend to his level.
Cheers.

Last edited:
So he is guilty of being overly positive? I could give two ****s about what statements he made to provide motivation for his team.

Please tell me there is more substance to the FIRE HAWK NOW camp than just the fact that he set high expectations for this team at the beginning of the season.

Was he really suppose to tell his team and the fans, yep .500 is what we expect this year. Really of all the things to point to and rip him for, this seems the weakest by far.

Maybe you should start giving a **** about the statements he makes to provide motivation. Whatever he is doing/has done is NOT WORKING. If you cannot get your team properly motivated, you're wasting everyone's time.

As far as high expectations, it might sound crazy, but people sometimes actually expect you to meet the high standards you set. Talking a big game and falling flat on your face should not be commended.

We are a top 25 team in college football history, the 90's were not our only good time. We were very good in the late 60's all the way to the late 70's.

Which is exactly my point!!! We have surges. This has never been a program that has put together 20+ winning season in a row like some of the "big time programs" We are a top 25 team who has achieved its success by having periods of good and bad years. That is CU football, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I won't apologize for how CU has achieved it's overall win./loss record over the years, but I am also not going to pretend that the Late 60' and early 90's are the standard.

there is no way the players beleive in the coahces at this point

we used to run the Houston Veer un HS and everyone knew how to stop it in the gaps. we don't scare anyone with our "Boise Playbook" or Smashmouth O.

Maybe you should start giving a **** about the statements he makes to provide motivation. Whatever he is doing/has done is NOT WORKING. If you cannot get your team properly motivated, you're wasting everyone's time.

As far as high expectations, it might sound crazy, but people sometimes actually expect you to meet the high standards you set. Talking a big game and falling flat on your face should not be commended.

And sometimes people should be able to recognize the difference in giving a motivational speech that is designed to get people fired up for the season and real expectations for a team full of underclassmen.

And sometimes people should be able to recognize the difference in giving a motivational speech that is designed to get people fired up for the season and real expectations for a team full of underclassmen.
This team has plenty of experience. I don't think the underclassmen excuse works anymore.

I wasn't expecting 10 wins, but I was expecting this team to handle CSU and Toledo. I don't care how young we are, we should always be expected to handle teams like that. No?

Which is exactly my point!!! We have surges. This has never been a program that has put together 20+ winning season in a row like some of the "big time programs" We are a top 25 team who has achieved its success by having periods of good and bad years. That is CU football, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I won't apologize for how CU has achieved it's overall win./loss record over the years, but I am also not going to pretend that the Late 60' and early 90's are the standard.

There are some top teams who have had their share of bad years as well.

Texas and Oklahoma were both down for about 10 years.
Nebraska was down for about 8 years
USC was down for a while
Miami was nothing before the 80's
Michigan is in their down time the last couple years

This team has plenty of experience. I don't think the underclassmen excuse works anymore.

I wasn't expecting 10 wins, but I was expecting this team to handle CSU and Toledo. I don't care how young we are, we should always be expected to handle teams like that. No?

I agree with that

USC was down for a while
Difference is all those teams can fire their coaches at any point, or at any cost. Boosters will step up and cover it.

CU on the other hand.....:huh:

I know that, thats what drives me crazy!
It's not just you. :lol:

I don't know what to think. A part of me says maybe Hawk will turn this around.

Another part says the performance by the team reflects the attitude and leadership of the coaching staff. Maybe we need to make a move now.

I'd really hate to be Mike Bohn right now. :huh:

where? Not on the DL.. Not on the OL.. Not at safety..
Why are you even trying to compare this team to top 25 programs. Come on.

I could also list through the PT experience this team has. It might not be the best, but this is Hawkins' fourth year. If we are still hurting experience-wise it's on Danny.

Why are you even trying to compare this team to top 25 programs. Come on.

I could also list through the PT experience this team has. It might not be the best, but this is Hawkins' fourth year. If we are still hurting experience-wise it's on Danny.

You are aware that the 2004 thru 2006 recruiting classes were basically a joke, thanks to Barnett.. That's one of the reasons why there's so many holes on this team.

Hawk needed to bat about 1000 on his first recruiting classes just to make up for Barnett's ineptitude and lack of recruiting his final years..

That void has basically caught up with us along with some mistakes Hawk has made on the recruiting trail and its made the season into a clusterf$$k..

Its caught me off guard, but looking at it now its not surprising we are on the brink this year.

So he is guilty of being overly positive? I could give two ****s about what statements he made to provide motivation for his team.

Please tell me there is more substance to the FIRE HAWK NOW camp than just the fact that he set high expectations for this team at the beginning of the season.

Was he really suppose to tell his team and the fans, yep .500 is what we expect this year. Really of all the things to point to and rip him for, this seems the weakest by far.

No substance to the "fire hawk camp?" Have you even been watching the games? Toledo was a pathetic 3 win team last year, their head coach is in his first year as HC, and they absolutely dominated CU. Their QB who is hardly a burner, ran for a 61 yard TD, untouched by CU's defense.

After poor tackling against CSU, CU's tackling and the angles defensive players were taking were even worse than the previous week.

Hawkins mantra was 10 wins, no excuses. You and he both need to quit making excuses, and he needs to start delivering some wins.

Your inexplicably want to give Hawkins another year because a handful of coaches turned programs around in five years. Yet, you cannot point to anything that Hawkins has done on the field to warrant confidence, you think four highly ranked recruits in four years is demonstrative "good recruiting (Newsflash: Toledo has a better WR corps than CU, that only happens when you're not doing a good job of recruiting), and are clinging to some vague delusion that Hawkins is doing things "right" because of a comment made about practice.

The only one making an argument without substance is you.

So, has anyone heard what Bohn really thinks privately? There is as much pressure on Mike as anyone. He's responsible for the success or failure of his department. Rah rah only gets you so far.

yes we should and I am NOT defending the loses to them. I am not trying to convince people that we are performing up to expectations. All I am trying to say is that calling for Hawkins head right now is premature in my mind.

yes we should and I am NOT defending the loses to them. I am not trying to convince people that we are performing up to expectations. All I am trying to say is that calling for Hawkins head right now is premature in my mind.
So, are you saying we have premature Hawkulation?

Round and round we go.

Fact:(and this is all that matters) Our four year coach at a big 12 school with 3 1/2 recruiting classes loses badly to a mwc 2nd year coach and a mac 1st year coach. We are not even competitive. Coaching, experience, talent, whatever it is it isn't working. Hawk has the rest of this year (because I don't think our boosters or ad has the balls to pull the trigger) to turn this team into something that resembles a div 1 football team.

Chilly I would like to give you props for being the most positive fan and supporter I have come across. Keep posting you tend to bring me back down to earth whether I agree with you or not. :thumbsup:

I understand you think Hawk deserves five years to turn this thing around. What is it that you think is going to turn around between now and the end of 2010 that is going to lead to a bowl game and the start of a CU resurgence? Is it getting more talent into the program, or are we still just too young to win and another season will let this talent win? Or are the coaches maybe going to improve and start getting more out of the talent on hand? I don't mean that sarcastically or as an attack, I'm really curious exactly where you would be looking for the improvement to come from...

If.

If.

If. [deep_breath]

If. We lose. To. Wyoming. In Boulder. [deep_breath] Then I think Bohn needs to make a change.

And the way this team is playing I think thats a serious possibility. And Texas is not exactly dominating Wyoming at the half (13 - 10).

We have to face up to the fact that we fired Gary Barnett for losing to Texas 70-3. For Fielding a winning team. For being good enough to back into the Big 12 championship. Oh how times have changed.

What then do we do with the first coach since the 1980s to start out 0-3 or worse?

I guess I look at the schedule for 2010 and do not see how everything is suddenly going to click next year.

We're losing next week. Maybe Bohn hasn't given up on Hawk, but I've given up on both of these ass clowns.

Texas and Oklahoma took less than making excuses about 4 years. They also BOTH won the MNC in the last decade.

referring to the 90's ain't making cake Mike/Dan/Neill Woelk.

Last edited:

USC was down for a while

And Texas, OU, Michigan and kNU all had 20+ if not 30+ years of winning before they had a down turn. CU has never put together 20+ years of winning. This doesn't mean we aren't a good program. CU has a lot of tradition associated with its football program, alot of great tradition. All I am saying is that we shouldn't pretend like we are competing as one of the big boys. We are what we are. That is a solid program that is in the top 25 for all time wins in college football. That is some pretty good company to be in by it's own right.

I don't consider Miami a top 10 all time program.

Last edited:
I understand you think Hawk deserves five years to turn this thing around. What is it that you think is going to turn around between now and the end of 2010 that is going to lead to a bowl game and the start of a CU resurgence? Is it getting more talent into the program, or are we still just too young to win and another season will let this talent win? Or are the coaches maybe going to improve and start getting more out of the talent on hand? I don't mean that sarcastically or as an attack, I'm really curious exactly where you would be looking for the improvement to come from...

I really think experience is going to play a huge roll in year 5. I think there is a big difference between a line that has 3 people starting for the first time and a 4th person coming off a lost season due to a broken leg and an OL that will have 4 people who have played together for 1 full season.

I think there is a big difference in having a WR corp made up of 2 walk-ons, several talented freshman, and 1 Juco who joined with the team late and having a WR corp that has some talented Sophmores and a talented JUCO who has spent an entire time in a system.

I really think this team will grow up this year before our eyes and is going to be ready to do some really good things next year.

This team is not that different from last year. The last 4 years of recruiting has been about getting back the spacings and depth between classes. that is why I think it is important for TH to redshirt this year. We are going to need this guy next year. My understanding is that he made some big strides between last year and this year. I am fully expecting him to take the next step and beat out Cody for the starting QB position.

How many teams have you seen at CU that have been this young at SO many positions? I can't really think of any. How many WR do you recall who came into CU and made an impact their Freshman year? Our best OL have always had a surplus of upperclassman starting.

I am not claiming I have some crystal ball and that this is how things will play out. It is just my personal take on the where we are right now. If we want to call them excuses fine. But I never bought into the 10 win hype for this year. I saw this team finishing somewhere around 7-6 this year with a lower tier bowl.

I will fully admit I did not expect a loss to Toledo, but this game scared me the second we took it. CSU scares me every year anymore. We can talk all we want about them not deserving to be in this game, but the last 10 years this series has been very very good between the schools. What funny is that way we talk about CSU reminds me so much of the kNU fans talk about us. They fail to admit that the last 20 years has produced some great football between our two school. The same goes for the series with CSU.

I also think you have to take Hawkins overall record into account. Not just at CU but also in his previous two coaching stints. Look football is football. I don't care what division you play in. The only difference between Big12 football and WAC football is the overall talent pool top to bottom. But you don't leave coach 2 different programs in 10 years and put together a cumulative record of 92-23-1 without know a little bit about what you are doing. It' s not like Hawkins only had a few good years prior to coming to CU. The guy has been a solid winner every where is was. I don't think you just stop forgetting how to win. If Hawkins had stepped into the CU job with a more suspect resume, I would be a lot less likely to be this patient.

Last edited:
We have to face up to the fact that we fired Gary Barnett for losing to Texas 70-3. For Fielding a winning team. For being good enough to back into the Big 12 championship. Oh how times have changed.

What then do we do with the first coach since the 1980s to start out 0-3 or worse?

This is not why GB was fired. It was a great out for CU, but it is not the reason he was let go.

Back