What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn's Great Scheduling Revealed again.. game in Foco in 2020 is a One off for $1M

I guess you don't like games at Folsom and would rather have them at Hughes.
By the time the 2020 game comes along, we will have played 1 of the previous 26 games in the series at Hughes. I think it's OK if we play there every so often.

I kind of think we owe them a midfield flag-plant for 2009.

Bohn was brought to CU to do one thing: change the perception of post-scandal CU. That job was completed a few years ago. Now there's a new job, new skill set and we need a new leader.

The current situation is that CSU isn't making any money because it can't sell its ticket allotment and CU is not making enough extra to justify having this game at a neutral site in addition to a 9-game conference schedule (too little scheduling flexibility). This worked for CU when we had an 8-game conference schedule and it worked for CSU when attendance was over 70k as projected. With the low attendance, I think Mile High is struggling to make worthwhile money off the game also. Now, it's simply a bad deal all around.

But I am sure the Ewes have a feasibility study with projections of increased attendance and revenue streams for every year so you must be wrong!

JellyDerp

Bohn was brought to CU to do one thing: change the perception of post-scandal CU. That job was completed a few years ago. Now there's a new job, new skill set and we need a new leader.

Right, that's the only reason he was hired.

I'd say his directives were 1) keep program in the black every year and 2) avoid scandal.

I'd say his directives were 1) keep program in the black every year and 2) avoid scandal.

Both those directives are completed at this point. Now there's a new job, new skill set and we need a new leader.

But I am sure the Ewes have a feasibility study with projections of increased attendance and revenue streams for every year so you must be wrong!

JellyDerp

They do. Pretty much their entire feasibility plan for their stadium hinges on this game being moved to campus and CU agreeing to play every other year in FOCO.

Who's going to hire his replacement?
I think this question has to be answered by anyone who wants to get rid of Bohn. You are not allowed to advocate getting rid of the AD, unless you have thought about, and provided an answer to this question.

His directives make you wonder why we bother even having athletics at CU.

Bohn is clearly handcuffed by his superiors, but they can't possibly be micromanaging so much that they are forcing these awful scheduling decisions? I have yet to meet someone from the CU side that enjoys the CU/CSU series. We only have 3 OOC games now. Scheduling has become very important and it is clearly not Bohn's forte.

Last edited:
Mike Bohn is the only person in the country who can operate under current CU administration constraints. True story.

I think this question has to be answered by anyone who wants to get rid of Bohn. You are not allowed to advocate getting rid of the AD, unless you have thought about, and provided an answer to this question.

So you're the authority? CU shouldn't be afraid of changing because there is a possibility of failure. Sure, we'd all like a dynamic leader at the pres/chancellor position but that's not a reality at this point. Still you must allow the people you do have to make decisions, or else you languish. That mentality has turned CU into the "worst BCS Football team."

i don't love mike bohn and have received a few too many patronizing emails from "him" cloaked in the worst PR language i can imagine...but, he's a marketing perception first kind of guy....and the Hawkins hire is his albatross but you can't forget Boyle. where CU hoops is right now is unthinkable not THAT long ago.

Embree, we'll see. i think Mike deserves to ride this out. if he had the two directives, he did that. don't know how serious KU was about it...but they had interest. so, someone thinks he's doing something right.

Mike Bohn is the only person in the country who can operate under current CU administration constraints. True story.

Too bad we are the only school in the conference where the admin cares more about academics than football.

They do. Pretty much their entire feasibility plan for their stadium hinges on this game being moved to campus and CU agreeing to play every other year in FOCO.

I really want CSU to get the new stadium, but **** that noise. 2-for-1. That's it.

So you're the authority? CU shouldn't be afraid of changing because there is a possibility of failure. Sure, we'd all like a dynamic leader at the pres/chancellor position but that's not a reality at this point. Still you must allow the people you do have to make decisions, or else you languish. That mentality has turned CU into the "worst BCS Football team."

I don't think you fully understand. If you think Bohn should go, you have to take into consideration who is going to hire his replacement. If you think Bohn is bad, what makes you think the people who would be hiring his replacement would be able to find anybody better?

The people who hired him, like him. They think he's doing a good job (why else extend him last year?). If he leaves - those exact same people are going to try and find someone EXACTLY like him, because that is exactly what they want. This isn't rocket science...

Maybe I will try this another way: how about the old saying "change starts at the top?" Guess what? The AD is not the top (unless you're from the SEC). The AD answers to the President/Chancellor (not sure the exact order there - which is probably part of the problem, but I digress), who in turn answer to the Regents. All of those people are actually happy with the AD. So, they're not forcing him out, because they are happy with him. If he left on his own, they would seek to replace him with someone really similar - after all, they like him and the job he's doing. Bohn may or may not be the AD it takes to return our football team to the promised land, but unless the President, Chancellor AND Regents change, he is the type of AD that we are going to get, and keep on getting.

So yes, you do need to answer the question ("who is going to hire his replacement") if you advocate firing Bohn. If you are hiring the replacement - sign me up! But, I don't think it will be you. It will be the same people/process that hired him, and extended him, and are happy with him that hire his replacement. What's the Einstein quote about insanity again?

i'd rather keep bohn and fire any faculty or administrators who aren't supportive of athletics.

you know the old saying: the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

all kidding aside, there is only one realistic way out of this... we need to win big in football. soon. people talk about the environment that Mac had being more conducive to winning, and that is a fact, but think about Coach Mac. his outspoken beliefs, his methods, etc. he was everything that that the sports-haters in boulder detest. yet, because he won so many games by the time the program was rolling, he was virtually untouchable.

what we need is for embree to get this thing going big-time, quickly. if that happens, the sports-haters will fade into the woodwork and we'll get everything we need in terms of support.

like bear bryant once said (and i paraphrase slightly): is football important? well, 100,000 people don't fill up a stadium to watch a college math quiz.

GO BUFFS!

Back