1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boise state in ncaa trouble

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Liver, May 3, 2011.

1. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

2. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

This right here shows what a joke the NCAA is. Boise gets lack of institutional control, while the Sweater Vest can blatantly lie and cover up his team's violations for over a year and OSU gets off without the lack of institutional control.

3. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

much ado about nothing, particularly in comparison to some of the other allegations out there against other teams.

4. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

the whole system may be on the verge of an epic collapse.

you've got the ncaa and its spotty enforcement record and unpopular rules and dictatorial style.

you've the bcs which is under siege for antitrust violations.

and, you've got tv contracts going to monster levels.

something is going to give.

i think we are going to end up with superconferences and a playoff system where players are compensated at the end of this.

we'll see.

5. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think the contracts are going to hold us back from a playoff system because the system is evidently working well for the people making the $$. I do see super conferences, and I do see a major reform of the NCAA if not a new college governing body. The NCAA no longer has any legitimacy or authority. People have found the loopholes and exploit them at every chance they get. The next 10 years I think will prove to be a very unstable time in college athletics.

6. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

"permitting one to use the institution's tennis stringer to restring his racquet."

This has got to be 100 times worse than letting a walk on eat lunch at the training table. Boise athletics need to be fined huge sums of $. The NCAA could then give said $$ to the sweater vest along with their apology for bothering him this off season.

7. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

Seriously, WTF!?!? How do I get a job enforcing NCAA rules. There is probably some other bull**** violation like 'used swim team's inkjet printer to promote kegger'.

8. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I do agree that we will see a system with 4 (maybe 5) superconferences. If it is 4 the conferences will have 16 teams each, if 5 they will be 12-16 each. We then may see a limited playoff with 4-8 teams involved. I don't think it will be good for college football and I don't think it is a sure thing.

Players getting paid is a lot less likely. The problem is that under title 9 which isn't going anywhere soon, if you pay football players then you have to pay womens athletes as well which then leads to a countersuit that means all scholarship athletes get paid. I you pay them anything they then have to be paid at least minimum wage which based on the hours spent involved in sports leads to huge amounts of money.

What wouldn't surprise me is an eventual split of the big programs, mostly along the lines of who is in the BCS right now, into an entirely different organization than the NCAA with no revenue sharing with the NCAA and a different set of rules, enforcement structure, eligibility structure, etc. These schools have been chafing for years at the fact that they are subsidizing much of what happens at D2 and D3 and are not interested in sharing the pie with the mid-majors and FCS schools either.

The exceptions to the BCS split may come along demographic and revenue production lines. I could see some of the old Big XII north teams left out (ISU,KSU,KU,as well as Baylor, weaker schools in other conferences by revenue like Washington State), and a few higher revenue non-BCS schools let in that are in fast growing, high revenue areas.

9. Razorbuff

Razorbuff Member

Jerry Tarkanian once said the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it put Cleveland State on probation. Some things never change.