1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boise State legit financial powerhouse?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ScottyBuff, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Boise State Turns Into Licensing Gold

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39042050

Wow. That really sucks for us.

CU gear seems to have always been a hot commodity, but like in all other things, not anymore.

Chalk up those missed $$$ as another notch in the Admin's lack of attention to the athletic department (football specifically).

This move to the Pac-12 creates a TON of opportunity to reverse these trends, I sure hope that Bohn and Co. are given full support to take advantage of that opportunity to put us back on the map.

2. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Wow. Not good company to be with.

3. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

Black and Gold is a great color combo and it is very popular all over the place. And since CU's logo is so unique and cool, Buff stuff should sell higher. But this kind of stuff is tied into winning, which CU hasn't done in what feels like a decade. Once CU gets back to mattering again that number will go up.

4. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Problem is they turned the Gold into some sort of piss/**** brown and put maxi pads on our shoulders. Too bad we dont see more of the gold that looks like a yellow. Then there is the whole winning issue. No one wants to wear a loser's gear.

5. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

yeah... its the piss yellow... of course...:rolling_eyes:

6. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Funny thing what winning will do.

7. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

I've never really been impressed with the selection of CU gear and apparel that's out there...I'm always underwhelmed by the choices and I wish there was a lot more variety out there...

8. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

The Gold is a tough color to cheaply or easily duplicate, but so's a good football program. I'm not so sure about the changing conference affiliations as being the Cure-All for marketing campaigns. I have a feeling most of the country has heard of "Colorado" already, and mere conference affiliation isn't what suddenly drives kids to head to the mall to get the latest Coach Hawkins-like gear. Or maybe it's Cody that will be the big draw?

The "more choices of product" is my wish, too.

if the Chicago Cubs started winning championships, what effect do you think this would have on product sales? Honestly, they've sold tons of stuff over the last few decades simply by being "loveable losers". If they made that change, would it create a schism between Old Fans and Newbies? "I was a fan long before they were winning, therefore I'm the better fan and I won't buy any new fangled gear" - would this be an effect?

I'm not suggesting that CU's storming to endless Pac-10 championships will be nearly that degree of turnaround, of course, but I'd bet that, if CU was the Pac-10's constant loser, they would NOT achieve Cub-esque fandom around the country. I'd be surprised if royalty sales during this year isn't far below it was, say, before any 70-3 conference championship seasons.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010