What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boise State to discontinue the rivalry with Idaho

A Saturday in front of a half empty stadium?
Are you saying the game will be played at Hughes? Folosom is never half empty. Even when Montana St. and Eastern Washington came to town, Folsom topped 42,000...
At the end of the day CU gets everything out of the RMS. Unequal revenue sharing, television exposure, and an opponent that their program has every advantage over (i.e. money, recruits, and facilities).
It's easy to get a date with a homely girl too, that doesn't mean you want to....

So by that logic, doesn't that make CU the cougar 20+ years past her prime? No one wants to date her either.

Except the Pac 10....nice try. Two BCS conferences wanted the Buffs, even in the sorry state they are in now. CSU is still stuck in the WAC/Mtn. West or whatever it's called....

Denver is definitely a pro market, but playing CSU does nothing for CU, except, perhaps, a small monetary advantage. Nobody outside of CO watches this game with any interest. CSU doesn't bring anything recognition wise, CSU can't even fill it's stadium when Cal comes to Hughes for cryin out loud. Aside from making ~10% more in revenue, the game is a cluster for CU. Win: everyone yawns because CSU is a non-entity FB wise. Lose and it's Montana St. part two. I vote ****can the game and play a team from a BCS conference. I'd love to see CU play a ACC, Mack 10 OOC opponent every year. Maybe we could throw CSU a bone and rotate them every third year with New Mexico and Wyoming as the third OOC game.

:congrats:

I second that vote.

Denver is definitely a pro market, but playing CSU does nothing for CU, except, perhaps, a small monetary advantage. Nobody outside of CO watches this game with any interest. CSU doesn't bring anything recognition wise, CSU can't even fill it's stadium when Cal comes to Hughes for cryin out loud. Aside from making ~10% more in revenue, the game is a cluster for CU. Win: everyone yawns because CSU is a non-entity FB wise. Lose and it's Montana St. part two. I vote ****can the game and play a team from a BCS conference. I'd love to see CU play a ACC, Mack 10 OOC opponent every year. Maybe we could throw CSU a bone and rotate them every third year with New Mexico and Wyoming as the third OOC game.

Agree, but the pud-knockers in the State Legislature would never let it happen, which as I recall, is how the series came back to life.

Why are we not playing AFA and CSU on a rotation? AFA has been the best football program in the state for the last few years.

Except the Pac 10....nice try. Two BCS conferences wanted the Buffs, even in the sorry state they are in now. CSU is still stuck in the WAC/Mtn. West or whatever it's called....

These types of posts are simply another illustration as to why the superiority complex of some of CU's fan base has gone from annoying to just plain sad. Talking smack about a MWC conference CU may have been able to win once (2001) over the course of the last decade? Seriously, just let it go. The MWC is a BCS caliber conference with BCS caliber programs at its top. The remainder of the conference continues to come along each year with more exposure and better facilities.

Seriously, didn't CU just effectively trade in their rivalry with Nebraska, for a rivalry with a current (soon to be former) MWC program, Utah? This of course is the same Utah program that traditionally has not had near the success that its in-state rival and current MWC member, BYU, has had. And the same Utah program that, on any given Saturday, will be playing its games in front of 25,000 less fans than the MWC school down the road! In fact, there is a very plausible scenerio whereby CU could be playing its 'rivalry' game at Utah in front of 42,000 and CSU could be playing its conference game at BYU in front of 65,000 on the same Saturday! Yet somehow, the CSU program is only "legitimate" because of its game with the Buffs? Absurd.

Last edited:
Why are we not playing AFA and CSU on a rotation? AFA has been the best football program in the state for the last few years.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Although I think CU should make AFA an annual affair in addition to CSU.

These types of posts are simply another illustration as to why the superiority complex of some of CU's fan base has gone from annoying to just plain sad. Talking smack about a MWC conference CU may have been able to win once (2001) over the course of the last decade? Seriously, just let it go. The MWC is a BCS caliber conference with BCS caliber programs at its top. The remainder of the conference continues to come along each year with more exposure and better facilities.

Seriously, didn't CU just effectively trade in their rivalry with Nebraska, for a rivalry with a current MWC program, Utah? This of course is the same Utah program that traditionally has not had near the success that its in-state rival and current MWC member, BYU, has had. And the same Utah program that, on any given Saturday, will be playing its games in front of 25,000 less fans than the MWC school down the road! In fact, there is a very plausible scenerio whereby CU could be playing its 'rivalry' game at Utah in front of 42,000 and CSU could be playing its conference game against BYU in front of 65,000 on the same Saturday! Yet somehow, the CSU program is only "legitimate" because of its game with the Buffs? Absurd.

Is this Allbuffs or Allrams? I think you get my point. You came here to try and convince CU fans CSU is somehow on par with CU...it isn't. CSU is second tier. I couldn't care less about CSU and aside from the hundreds of Ram die hards, nobody else does either. The MWC isn't legit. If it were when a MWC team went undefeated they'd be in the title game. As soon as a MWC team gets some run, they leave (see Utah). Even though UU made it to the BCS, they still get a partial share of Pac 10 $$$ while CU pulls a full share. Add in that UU was a fall back position for the Pac 10 and the picture is even more clear. UU escaped the MWC only because UT, TT, aTM, OU and OSU took a pass on the Pac 16. Otherwise you'd still have your annual UU beatdown to look forward to, you should be thanking us for taking them off your schedule.

Seriously, you are just kidding yourself to say the MWC is BCS caliber.

Is this Allbuffs or Allrams? I think you get my point. You came here to try and convince CU fans CSU is somehow on par with CU...it isn't. CSU is second tier. I couldn't care less about CSU and aside from the hundreds of Ram die hards, nobody else does either. The MWC isn't legit. If it were when a MWC team went undefeated they'd be in the title game. As soon as a MWC team gets some run, they leave (see Utah). Even though UU made it to the BCS, they still get a partial share of Pac 10 $$$ while CU pulls a full share. Add in that UU was a fall back position for the Pac 10 and the picture is even more clear. UU escaped the MWC only because UT, TT, aTM, OU and OSU took a pass on the Pac 16. Otherwise you'd still have your annual UU beatdown to look forward to, you should be thanking us for taking them off your schedule.

Seriously, you are just kidding yourself to say the MWC is BCS caliber.

Actually, I don't get your point. I was trying to convince anyone of anything. In fact, I freely admit CSU has a lot of work to do in terms of fundraising, facilities, attendance....to even get close to CU's level. My original point was that the RMS is of benefit to both programs and I don't understand why a certain vocal segment of the CU fan base is so against the game. Especially when they are clearly in the minority at this point.

As far as the MWC goes - the only ones kidding themselves are those that think the MWC is not legitimate at this point. Most in the national media agree that the MWC is on par with the Big East and has been for some time now. Since the conference's inception over a decade ago, Utah is the first and only team to leave and it was premptively and effectively replaced with a Boise program that has had just as much recent success. Not even up for debate is the fact that the MWC remains well within striking distance of provisional BCS status. Only someone with their head in the sand could conclude that the MWC is somehow not legit at this point.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't get your point. I was trying to convince anyone of anything. In fact, I freely admit CSU has a lot of work to do in terms of fundraising, facilities, attendance....to even get close to CU's level. My original point was that the RMS is of benefit to both programs and I don't understand why a certain vocal segment of the CU fan base is so against the game.
As far as the MWC goes - the only ones kidding themselves are those that think the MWC is not legitimate at this point. Most in the national media agree that the MWC is on par with the Big East and has been for some time now. Since the conference's inception over a decade ago, Utah is the first and only team to leave and it was premptively and effectively replaced with a Boise program that has had just as much recent success. Not even up for debate is the fact that the MWC remains well within striking distance of provisional BCS status. Only someone with their head in the sand could conclude that the MWC is somehow not legit at this point.

I appreciate the point you are sticking up for your program. I am guessing yo are a CSU fan, at least it seems that way. My point is, as a CSU fan, coming over to a Buff site preaching the CSU/RMS gospel isn't going to get much traction.

Most CU fans just don't care about playing CSU. As myself and others have observed above, CU gets very little out of it, and whatever benefit may exist could easily be replaced by a game CU fans, and a potential national audience, would prefer. Historically, CU has dominated the series, even though it has been more of an even match over the last 10 or so. (CU has won 7 of the last 12). CU is in a BCS AQ conference and draws national TV games on a regular basis. CSU was nationally relevant for about three years in their entire history. The game just doesn't do anything for most Buff fans. I know CSU fans desperately want to believe the game is important...and it is but only to CSU fans.

If the MWC is on the brink of BCS AQ, why do UU and BYU want out so bad? Wouldn't they just hang around and bask in the glory of being the king of the MWC? Answer is they know getting to a real conference is the ticket. That is just the way it is.

Thats a good point, I think the MWC may be on par with the Big East. But the big east sucks - the reason it's a BCS conference is because of the television footprint. So until the MWC goes well above and beyond the Big East, they will be left out because no-one watches the games (because they are rarely broadcasted nationally, and the regional broadcasts don't draw big numbers).

The MWC is a conference with 2 recent BCS caliber programs at its top - but only because they play a ***tty schedule full of ***tty teams.
Saying the Mtn Worst is "BCS caliber" just because Utah and TCU have had some recent success is delusional at best.

I appreciate the point you are sticking up for your program. I am guessing yo are a CSU fan, at least it seems that way. My point is, as a CSU fan, coming over to a Buff site preaching the CSU/RMS gospel isn't going to get much traction.

Most CU fans just don't care about playing CSU. As myself and others have observed above, CU gets very little out of it, and whatever benefit may exist could easily be replaced by a game CU fans, and a potential national audience, would prefer. Historically, CU has dominated the series, even though it has been more of an even match over the last 10 or so. (CU has won 7 of the last 12). CU is in a BCS AQ conference and draws national TV games on a regular basis. CSU was nationally relevant for about three years in their entire history. The game just doesn't do anything for most Buff fans. I know CSU fans desperately want to believe the game is important...and it is but only to CSU fans.

If the MWC is on the brink of BCS AQ, why do UU and BYU want out so bad? Wouldn't they just hang around and bask in the glory of being the king of the MWC? Answer is they know getting to a real conference is the ticket. That is just the way it is.

I have been on this site for a while now and am not attempting to preach to Buff fans. Most people know I am here for a good debate. I am a CSU fan.

As far as the game only being important to CSU fans and not CU fans - I think that is a minority view and simply your own perception. A quick look at the most highly attended games in Folsom over the last 10 years shows otherwise:

2001-2002
Nebraska (53,790)

2002-2003
USC (NA)

2003-2004
Oklahoma (54,215)
Nebraska (53,434)

2004-2005
Colorado State (54,954)
Texas (51,751)

2005-2006
Colorado State (54,972)
Nebraska ( 54,831)

2006-2007
Arizona St. (47,723)

2007-2008
Florida State (52,951)
Oklahoma (50,003)

2008-2009
West Virginia (51,883)
Texas (53,927)

2009-2010
Colorado State (53,168)
Nebraska (52,817)

The games against CSU in Boulder in '04-05 to '05-06 were the highest attended games at Folsom over the last decade and the 2009-2010 game ranked in the Top 10. I think the game with CSU is clearly very important to a very large section of the CU fan base.

Last edited:
Saying the Mtn Worst is "BCS caliber" just because Utah and TCU have had some recent success is delusional at best.

Take it up with the people who constructed the BCS System then. Apparently, the conference is still within striking distance of gaining provisional BCS status even after losing Utah.

I have been on this site for a while now and am not attempting to preach to Buff fans. Most people know I am here for a good debate. I am a CSU fan.

As far as the game only being important to CSU fans and not CU fans - I think that is a minority view and simply your own perception. A quick look at the most highly attended games in Folsom over the last 10 years shows otherwise:

2001-2002
Nebraska (53,790)

2002-2003
USC (NA)

2003-2004
Oklahoma (54,215)
Nebraska (53,434)

2004-2005
Colorado State (54,954)
Texas (51,751)

2005-2006
Colorado State (54,972)
Nebraska ( 54,831)

2006-2007
Arizona St. (47,723)

2007-2008
Florida State (52,951)
Oklahoma (50,003)

2008-2009
West Virginia (51,883)
Texas (53,927)

2009-2010
Colorado State (53,168)
Nebraska (52,817)

The games against CSU in Boulder in '04-05 to '05-06 were the highest attended games at Folsom over the last decade and the 2009-2010 ranked in the Top 10. I think the game is clearly very important to a very large section of the CU fan base.

:bang::doh: DUH!

Of course it was important! It was in our HOME ****ING STADIUM and the FIRST F***ING GAME OF THE YEAR!
I bet my left nut those numbers you quote would be HIGHER if we were playing Georgia at Folsom for the first game this year rather than CSU.

:bang::doh: DUH!

Of course it was important! It was in our HOME ****ING STADIUM and the FIRST F***ING GAME OF THE YEAR!
I bet my left nut those numbers you quote would be HIGHER if we were playing Georgia at Folsom for the first game this year rather than CSU.

Two of those CSU games had better attendance than the Nebraska game of 2001-2002 - and that Nebraska game was possibly the biggest game in Folsom in a decade. Also - that doesn't explain the paltry 48,534 that showed up for the home opener against 24th Ranked UCLA in 2003-2004 when the Buffs were coming in 1-0 after the RMS in Denver? It also doesn't explain the 48,146 that showed the next week for the game between 2-0 CU and and then 17th Ranked Pac-10 foe Washington State. I thought those Pac-10 schools were going to pack Folsom every year! I mean those games are clearly more important to CU fans afterall.

Last edited:
Two of those CSU games had better attendance than the Nebraska game of 2001-2002 - and that Nebraska game was possibly the biggest game in Folsom in a decade. Right....how could I have been so foolish...the fans are only attending the CSU game because its "the opener." Please.

The nebraska game would draw more if it wasn't on black friday. I have a hard time getting to that game some years.

But CSU and Cu does bring a good amount of people to the stadiums but you will never see the game on ABC or any major network like the CU NU game.

The nebraska game would draw more if it wasn't on black friday. I have a hard time getting to that game some years.

But CSU and Cu does bring a good amount of people to the stadiums but you will never see the game on ABC or any major network like the CU NU game.

The game has been on national tv almost every season, including ABC!!

1999-2000 - FOX
2000-2001 - ESPN2
2001-2002 - ABC
2002-2003 - ESPN2
2003-2004 - ESPN
2005-2006 - TBS
2006-2007 -
2007-2008 - FOX
2008-2009 - FOX
2009-2010 - FOX

2006-2007 is the only time in a decade that the game has not been a national broadcast.

The game has been on national tv almost every season, including ABC!!

1999-2000 - FOX
2000-2001 - ESPN2
2001-2002 - ABC
2002-2003 - ESPN2
2003-2004 - ESPN
2005-2006 - TBS
2006-2007 -
2007-2008 - FOX
2008-2009 - FOX
2009-2010 - FOX

2006-2007 is the only time in a decade that the game has not been a national broadcast.

FSN isn't fox and espin 2 and tbs wasn't what I was talking about. Good call on the ABC though I go to the game so i don't really catch it on tv unless my DVR is set up. The game is a big draw for the locals but people don't really seem to care outside of Colorado. I have no problem playing the Rams occasionally I just don't like the 10 year contract and the fact it is played in a pro stadium.

And as for CU playing CSU and AFA the same season, I really didn't like playing CSU and Wyoming last year. I would prefer to get into other states for recruiting purposes. I would prefer like to play CSU and UCF or AFA and Rutgers.

BTW CC you have always been a great CSU fan and I appreciate your opinion. If there were more ram fans like yourself, the program in FOCO would be close to on par with CU.

Let CSU play AFA every year. As mentioned above, AFA doesn't get us into any addtional markets. We should make a point to play more southeast and west coast schools. This year, we are doing both, the athletic department has done a great job of scheduling lately. We always have the best non conference schedlue of any team in teh Big 12, and the best overall schedule of any team in the Big 12 north. Now we just need to win some more of these road games...

Let CSU play AFA every year. As mentioned above, AFA doesn't get us into any addtional markets. We should make a point to play more southeast and west coast schools. This year, we are doing both, the athletic department has done a great job of scheduling lately. We always have the best non conference schedlue of any team in teh Big 12, and the best overall schedule of any team in the Big 12 north. Now we just need to win some more of these road games...

It is still nice to play games instate. Those are nice short roadies where your fans can see an extra game in person and the team can be home that night. Its also nice to throw a bone to the littler schools. Ohio State plays youngstown every year.

I just don't playing the same instate team year after year.

Two of those CSU games had better attendance than the Nebraska game of 2001-2002 - and that Nebraska game was possibly the biggest game in Folsom in a decade. Also - that doesn't explain the paltry 48,534 that showed up for the home opener against 24th Ranked UCLA in 2003-2004 when the Buffs were coming in 1-0 after the RMS in Denver? It also doesn't explain the 48,146 that showed the next week for the game between 2-0 CU and and then 17th Ranked Pac-10 foe Washington State. I thought those Pac-10 schools were going to pack Folsom every year! I mean those games are clearly more important to CU fans afterall.

You average19-21 k per game, maybe you should worry about your weak ass attendance ....

You average19-21 k per game, maybe you should worry about your weak ass attendance ....

I am worried about our attendance. It is weak and needs to improve dramatically. However, I wasn't brining up attendance figures to claim that CU was having those type of issues. I don't believe CU has attendance issues. I was using the single-game attendance figures to show that the CSU game is much more important to Buff fans than many on these chat boards want to admit. In fact, a look at those figures shows that CSU has put more Buff fans in Folsom than any other team in the last decade, including USC (53,119) and UCLA (48,534). The claim that the game means more to CSU than it does to CU just isn't accurate.

I wish CSU would get it's act together from an athletics standpoint. We at CU often wonder if we're sufficiently committed to athletics. At CSU, they have no commitment whatsoever.

Believe it or not, I see a lot of potential at CSU. I see a 16-team Pac one day, and CSU could be part of that if they make the commitment. Better facilities, better attendance, better performance. Northern Colorado is where a lot of the growth in the State is going to happen, and CSU could capitalize on that if they wanted to.

I, for one, like the CSU game. It serves as a reminder to CU about how an undermanned team can jump up and bite you in the ass if you're not prepared. I'm not sure why we seem to have to re-learn that lesson every 3-4 years, but it seems that we do.

I was at the liquor store last night, and the clerk was wearing a CSU shirt, and I was wearing a CU hat. The dude starts mouthing off to me and talking smack. I didn't even really response because is just didn't CARE about CSU. Besides that, he was the guy working at the liquor store :lol:

This game is so, so tired. The Buffs should play CSU.... once every 3 years. Rotate kNU/UNC, AFA, and CSU.

Back