What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boise State v. Lousiana Tech

I don't think anyone disagrees that they can beat a SEC team on any given weekend. Where people have a problem is that they dont think that they could go through a 8 game schedule (usually all in a row) in the SEC and be undefeated. ****, we beat an SEC team this year, and we suck. That can happen on any given weekend, but not on every given weekend.

I have no idea why I am so fired up about this, I think I blame Boise for Hawk. :gun:

Right now every given weekend Boise plays a BCS team they beat them.

What is really going to be unfair is if TCU ends up playing Boise in another BCS game this year because the big guys are too scared to play them.

I get it, but that is two weekends a year, and one of those teams turned around and lost to JMU. Not the strongest argument.

Yeah the JMU stunt is bad, but they are ranked again, and if Nevada and VT hold serve they'll have beaten two top 20 teams and a third ranked club in a year, not bad at all.

Yeah the JMU stunt is bad, but they are ranked again, and if Nevada and VT hold serve they'll have beaten two top 20 teams and a third ranked club in a year, not bad at all.
Better than Nebraska has done since 2001.

Actually looking at what is the Mountain Wennie Conf. they be semi for real going forward: AirForce BSU, TCU, Nevada, Fresno those are all schools that have played well and played BCS schools tough over the past 10 years. If they could just pick up another legit team and drop one of the jokes they could really push for AQ status.

That's definitely the issue. There aren't many teams Boise isn't capable of defeating in a bowl game, but there's no doubt that a 8 or 9 game schedule in one of the top 3 or 4 conferences would take its toll on them. However, I think those that claim Boise would be mediocre ~.500 in league play in the SEC, Pac12, Big 12 are wrong. In its best years (such as this one), Boise would probably go 6-2. -- i.e. good for being a Top 20 team and a 10 win season, but not one of the truly elite college football teams. While the MWC isn't exactly the toughest around, BSU will slip up more often and disappear from nat'l championship discussion. Boise's WAC dynasty is their niche and their best chance to play for a national championship as it's the only way they're going undefeated.
Everybody and their grandmother was saying the same thing about Rutgers, and this year they got beat by TULANE.

I get it, but that is two weekends a year, and one of those teams turned around and lost to JMU. Not the strongest argument.

I think you really underestimate what kind of talent they have. Small school, yes. Crappy conference, yes. They have size, speed, and are well coached. They would be a handfull for anyone on any weekend.

I think you really underestimate what kind of talent they have. Small school, yes. Crappy conference, yes. They have size, speed, and are well coached. They would be a handfull for anyone on any weekend.

But that's not the point. The point is, playing a B12/SEC/B10/P10 schedule week in and week out is mentally and physically draining. There are very few, if any, off weeks. BSU gets lots of them playing in the WAC.

I'm not saying BSU would be a .500 team in a big conference. I think they're better than that. But I do think they would drop 2-3 games every year playing in a big boy conference. Utah will be interesting to watch next year, because I expect them to drop a couple conference games.

In the major conferences, just about anyone can beat anyone else (just ask UT after last weekend). La Tech had zero shot vs. BSU. Same goes for several other teams in that conference.

There's alot of big dogs who would be delighted to play them provided they are the visiting team. You can't blame them - what's the $ going to be playing on that $hitty, blue puke carpet in a 33,000 seat match box small time stadium. As always it's about the money - I'm sure if they want to make some money themselves alot of larger schools would love to play them provided it's not in a 33,000 seat stadium - maybe the KickOff Classic at the Georgia Dome.

Winning at Tennessee is a lot different than winning at NMSU. You don't have 100k people against you. LSU's win at Tennessee is more impressive than a lot of teams. Last year Bama needed a blocked fg at the end to win there and they won the MNC.

Winning at Tennessee is a lot different than winning at NMSU. You don't have 100k people against you. LSU's win at Tennessee is more impressive than a lot of teams. Last year Bama needed a blocked fg at the end to win there and they won the MNC.

LSU didnt win at Tennessee, they won at home. If they get in the title game, you might be surprised what happens. SEC teams dont have more talent, starting wise. They have more depth.

But that's not the point. The point is, playing a B12/SEC/B10/P10 schedule week in and week out is mentally and physically draining. There are very few, if any, off weeks. BSU gets lots of them playing in the WAC.

I'm not saying BSU would be a .500 team in a big conference. I think they're better than that. But I do think they would drop 2-3 games every year playing in a big boy conference. Utah will be interesting to watch next year, because I expect them to drop a couple conference games.

In the major conferences, just about anyone can beat anyone else (just ask UT after last weekend). La Tech had zero shot vs. BSU. Same goes for several other teams in that conference.

Football is football, no matter where or who you play it with or against. Ive been around football since birth pretty much, im not saying I know everything. Im just saying they can play with anyone, they have ability, make no mistake.

LSU didnt win at Tennessee, they won at home. If they get in the title game, you might be surprised what happens. SEC teams dont have more talent, starting wise. They have more depth.

First, you are proving what everyone else is saying. The lack of depth is what would kill them in a big conference. They would get exposed.

Second, that is a silly statement. The top SEC teams have more starting talent and more depth. Lets look at who is playing in the NFL next year from Alabama vs. Boise State. What Boise State does have, is top tier coaching, preparation and a great system.

Football is football, no matter where or who you play it with or against. Ive been around football since birth pretty much, im not saying I know everything. Im just saying they can play with anyone, they have ability, make no mistake.

I never said they don't have ability. I'm saying there is a big difference between playing NU/MU/Okie St/KjSU and La Tech/Utah St/Idaho/San Jose St. There is no room for 'off' weeks when you play a much tougher schedule. When you're off in the B12, you lose. When you're off vs. Utah St, you likely still win, just not as convincingly.

First, you are proving what everyone else is saying. The lack of depth is what would kill them in a big conference. They would get exposed.

The other thing that has been glossed over here is injuries. When you're thrashing someone by 5 TDs, you can rest your starters and minimize the risk of getting them hurt.

Second, that is a silly statement. The top SEC teams have more starting talent and more depth. Lets look at who is playing in the NFL next year from Alabama vs. Boise State. What Boise State does have, is top tier coaching, preparation and a great system.

No, Im not proving what everyone else is saying unless they are pussy. Money? Like LSU, Florida, Texas, etc need it. Depth wouldnt kill them for one game. Whether it is at the first of the season or at the end. Have u actually watched them? They execute better than any team in football, including the SEC.

No, Im not proving what everyone else is saying unless they are pussy. Money? Like LSU, Florida, Texas, etc need it. Depth wouldnt kill them for one game. Whether it is at the first of the season or at the end. Have u actually watched them? They execute better than any team in football, including the SEC.

Depth would kill them trying to play a B12/SEC schedule.

You are proving my point for me. You actually think Boise couldnt recruit and grow in a big conference? They can beat the big boys now. I dont care who they are playing, I can see how good they are.

I never said they don't have ability. I'm saying there is a big difference between playing NU/MU/Okie St/KjSU and La Tech/Utah St/Idaho/San Jose St. There is no room for 'off' weeks when you play a much tougher schedule. When you're off in the B12, you lose. When you're off vs. Utah St, you likely still win, just not as convincingly.

So which of their wins have been unconvincing, in your estimation.

So which of their wins have been unconvincing, in your estimation.

Last night. I would give you details, but Mtn said it better:

Mtn Buff said:
The final score looked like they killed Louisiana Tech, in fact Tech had at least two drives die on fourth downs in the red zone and Boise scored on two broken plays where they fumbled and recovered, one in the end zone, the other a fumbled pitch that threw the D off.

Had Boise played anything like this against an actual, real BCS caliber team their undefeated season would have been over. Trouble is with the creampuffs they play they can blunder their way through the schedule only having to really prepare and get up for 3-4 games all year. In the mean time the schools in the real conferences are beating each other up every week.

Boise supporters always give us the "any given week they could beat anyone" arguement and that is true. The trouble is you don't deserve a shot at the NC based on one week. buffarino is completely correct in stating that a significant number of their games are essentially a bye. They could play their worst game and still get a win just based on talent differential, coaching, and system.

This gives them a huge advantage in that they have multiple weeks to prepare for each of the few decent teams they play. As Buffarino also stated they don't get as worn down by injuries and in addition they can develop their back-ups into the system more because they have garbage time to play them in on almost a weekly basis. How many games does a team in the SEC get to play most of their back-ups for over a quarter of the game. Instead games are going down to the end and starters have to play risking injury, getting worn out and beat up, and meaning that the back-ups have less experience even though they are more talented than Boises depth.

It still comes down to the level of competition, you can execute wonderfully when there are no athletes on the opposing team to challenge you.

I think Klatt has been reading Allbuffs. He just repeated my entire argument vs. Boise. And he hates the blue turf, too. :lol:

Boise supporters always give us the "any given week they could beat anyone" arguement and that is true. The trouble is you don't deserve a shot at the NC based on one week. buffarino is completely correct in stating that a significant number of their games are essentially a bye. They could play their worst game and still get a win just based on talent differential, coaching, and system.

This gives them a huge advantage in that they have multiple weeks to prepare for each of the few decent teams they play. As Buffarino also stated they don't get as worn down by injuries and in addition they can develop their back-ups into the system more because they have garbage time to play them in on almost a weekly basis. How many games does a team in the SEC get to play most of their back-ups for over a quarter of the game. Instead games are going down to the end and starters have to play risking injury, getting worn out and beat up, and meaning that the back-ups have less experience even though they are more talented than Boises depth.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to that, and I used to think that way as well, and still do about a lot of teams. I guess I don't mind Boise because they are well coached, and have proven enough times (to me at least) to be able to get up for the good teams, even if it's only a few times a year. And I like the fact that their success gets so many people in a tizzy.

Someone said they need to stop complaining. Show me where they have complained? I saw an interview with CCP where he said he has no problem with the current system, and understands it when undefeated BCS schools leapfrog them in the standings. The only thing I see on here, after every Boise game, is people rushing to their keyboards to trash them, which seems pretty hypocritical to me. If you don't like it, then change the system. You can't set up a system based on having "have" and "have-not" conferences, then complain when one team happens to rise up and dominate the have-not realm.

If you don't like it, then change the system. You can't set up a system based on having "have" and "have-not" conferences, then complain when one team happens to rise up and dominate the have-not realm.

I would love a playoff and would have no problem giving an undefeated Boise a spot in an 8-12 team playoff. There's not much I can do to change the system, however.

I think UTAH 2011 will provide some good fodder one way or the other on this issue. They're killing it in an ok conference. If they come in and dominate PAC12 teams week after week, we'll know that football is football.

If they come in and lose 3-4 games (including 1-2 they "shouldn't") after pasting their OOC foes, we'll know that the wear and tear of playing BCS competition week in and week out does effect a team.

Until then......

Back