1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonsu and Richter to redshirt... Simmons to play

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Bonsu's not quite 100% on that knee and the emergence of Obi and Goree (plus Kasa showing he can play inside) has made a redshirt possible.

Richter didn't crack the 2-deep and there was quite a bit of talk that he needs to work on technique and flexibility in the offseason.

Simmons didn't dress Saturday but it looks like he's going to play this season.

Here's what this does to the 2011 roster at WR, DT and OL (scholarship players):

Wide Receiver
    Seniors: Kyle Cefalo (assuming he's put on scholly), Kendrick Celestine, and Toney Clemons
    Juniors: Will Jefferson
    Sophomores: Jarrod Darden and Paul Richardson
    RS-Freshmen: Keenan Canty
    Freshmen: Donnie Duncan + New Recruits

Defensive Tackle
    Seniors: Curtis Cunningham, Eugene Goree, and Conrad Obi
    Juniors: Will Pericak
    Sophomores: Nate Bonsu
    RS-Freshmen: Dakota Poole and Kirk Poston
    Freshmen: New Recruits

Offensive Line
    Seniors: Ethan Adkins, Matt Bahr, Blake Behrens, Shawn Daniels, Mike Iltis, Ryan Miller, and Sione Tau
    Juniors: Ryan Dannewitz, Bryce Givens, Eric Richter, and Max Tuioti-Mariner
    Sophomores: David Bakhtiari, Gus Handler, Jack Harris, and Shaun Simon (if he signs)
    RS-Freshmen: Kaiwi Crabb and Daniel Munyer
    Freshmen: Alex Lewis + New Recruits

I've got to say that I love what this does for our class balance. I'd like to see 1 freshman and 1 juco WR (junior) to fill that out. We only need 1 DT this class. And OL could use 2 more freshmen, although 1 could work if we don't get blue chip guys (I'm still hoping we flip Austin off of Stanford).

buff190 likes this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Clemons is a junior, right? Travon Patterson is a senior.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Correct. Travon will be one-and-done for us.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

my bad...i just figured out that you were showing the 2011 roster. nevermind. and thanks for the info on plans for redshirts.

5. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Prolly a good move here - let big Nate get healthy.

Another good move, both for him and the team. He should be a beast next season.

Not sure what to think of this one. Since he didn't play, he may still get the r/s, so who knows.

Based on the list, I'd love to see the staff pull in one HS DT, and one JUCO DT, even if they both red shirt.

6. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Move USSERY back to WR, he's going to be wasted at safety.

7. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

I agree with the moves, but wouldn't mind Simmons redshirting as well (should have last year, I think).

For 2011, I think we absolutely need 2 DTs. We can't go into 2012 with only 2 upperclassmen and 2 backups at that position. Both Poole and Poston still have some weight/muscle/strength to build up before they can handle a full season in the trenches. It should take 2 years to build up a DT, we have been forced to play Cunningham and Pericak since they were young and we struggled while they have grown into the position, I'd rather not repeat that.

Maybe Nuckols as a Juco next year? haha

8. buffsyko

I agree but am not allowed to comment on DT's anymore....

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Comment, comment, I usually agree with you. Defenses start with the guys closest to the ball and you can't hide weakness at the DT positions as easily as you can at most other positions.

I like the idea of stretching Bonsu's eligibility out another year and of making sure that he can come back healthy and hopefully another year stronger.

College football ready DTs are rare and usually go to the higher profile schools, Colorado is going to be in a position of having to find and develop guys but we have had a few guys end up in the pros using this system.

I also like the idea of having multiple guys who can rotate in. This keeps them fresher throughout the game, gives the O-Lines more to prepare for, and means that you have guys with experience if somebody goes down.

10. buffsyko

I was one of the DT ready guys but as you stated, those guys go to higher profile schools and we have to try and develop guys who were DE's or in pericak's case,bigger LB's. Pericak and hypolite have worked out well. I like a rotation also, as you said, it keeps them fresh and have more energy in the 2nd half.