What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Both Directv and Dish expexted to sign on day 1 for sec network

No. When I canceled they didn't offer. They only wanted to make sure I knew about the exciting SEC network.

A lot of the posters on this site called to complain and then bragged about getting free NFL Sunday. If those posters and others in the Pac-12 footprints actually cancelled maybe everyone would have PAC-12 by now.

I don't really care. I get Pac-12 network and super fast internet. **** Direct TV.

A lot of the posters on this site called to complain and then bragged about getting free NFL Sunday. If those posters and others in the Pac-12 footprints actually cancelled maybe everyone would have PAC-12 by now.

I don't really care. I get Pac-12 network and super fast internet. **** Direct TV.

If Scott's goal is/was to get the PAC on DTV, having the very fans who are on DTV cancel their DTV defeats the goal completely. To get PAC on DTV everyone who wants to watch it on DTV should cancel their DTV? Credit to everyone who called. That's the most any fan who wants it on DTV should do. Scott has misstepped. Unless, getting the PAC on DTV was not the goal.

I am continually baffled by the Larry Scott apologists.

I am continually baffled by the DTV obsession.

Look, DTV wanted to offer PAC12 less than the other conference networks. If Larry bends over like you want him to, it devalues our product and lets everyone know that we are a bargain. If people don't change over from DTV then that tells you there is not as much interest as we thought outside of our footprint. Which means the focus is to keep improving the conference. And guess what? It starts with CU and Cal. The quality of the conference play needs to increase interest outside of the footprint. Then, we have more negotiating power. I know many here are in love with DTV. However, the TV market is about to shift to online streaming. I am more interested in Scott making a deal with a certain computer company in the California bay area. Also with AT&T buying DTV, things will change too. Larry is looking at the future, not falling prey to a cr@ppy satellite provider.

I am continually baffled by the DTV obsession.

Look, DTV wanted to offer PAC12 less than the other conference networks. If Larry bends over like you want him to, it devalues our product and lets everyone know that we are a bargain. If people don't change over from DTV then that tells you there is not as much interest as we thought outside of our footprint. Which means the focus is to keep improving the conference. And guess what? It starts with CU and Cal. The quality of the conference play needs to increase interest outside of the footprint. Then, we have more negotiating power. I know many here are in love with DTV. However, the TV market is about to shift to online streaming. I am more interested in Scott making a deal with a certain computer company in the California bay area. Also with AT&T buying DTV, things will change too. Larry is looking at the future, not falling prey to a cr@ppy satellite provider.

Watching Colorado sports is an obsession. Watching Colorado Football is an obsession. DTV and Dish are the two rural providers. DTV has a lock on sports bars -going out to catch the game is not an option. Many people have DTV. There has been a dangling carrot of hope that there will be a DTV/PAC deal for two years. Changing carriers is a pain in the ass. Hoping one can watch Colorado Football in a bar and without having to change carriers for two years results in an obsession. However, I completely get your point that this site is no place for obsessing.

Last edited:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pac-12-networks-20140802-story.html#page=1

Got this link from a netbuffs poster. A few things that stand out:

"The Pac-12 has tried to compensate by asking for about 80 cents per subscriber, well below the reported rates of $1 for the Big Ten and $1.30 or more for the SEC." - Should we really be going lower than that? scr3w that!

"The SEC handed its channel over to ESPN in exchange for a massive rights fee and the Big Ten entered into a roughly 50-50 joint venture with Fox Cable Networks.The Pac-12 has maintained full ownership, creating and operating its networks." - PAC 12 owns its own network and keeps all the profits.You can talk about the discrepancy in numbers between conferences with regards to distribution but the PAC12 keeps the profits. They don't have to give half to FOX or all of it to ESPN.

"The Pac-12 has also been creative, securing a deal with AT&T U-verse by packaging its networks with exclusive telecommunication rights to the 12 member schools. As Scott said: "AT&T does a lot of business with our universities." Again, looking at the future here.

"In 2012-13, television money lifted the Pac-12 above the SEC and Big Ten with $334 million in annual revenue, nearly doubling the previous year's figures" If this is an epic failure then i don't know what to say.

Larry Scott preaches patience. "This is a 10 year plan." :sad2:

But when you read the article, it does make sense, if you buy into Scott's explanation. The Big 10 and SEC entered into joint ventures with Fox and ESPN. Therefore, they have to share the profits while giving up a lot of control in programming. The PAC is trying to have full control of both profit and programming. So, according to Scott, in the long run, the schools will profit much more than the Big 10 and SEC schools. We shall see. Hopefully this AT&T thing will break the logjam. Otherwise, I'll be about 70 when this gets done. :sad2:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pac-12-networks-20140802-story.html#page=1

Last edited:
Of course the PAC needs to be on DirecTV. Scott shares blame in not getting a deal done. But at what cost? At half the price every other MSO has already been paying? At setting precedent and allowing the PAC N to be a la carte? Neither option is acceptable. Yes, cancelling service over the last two years would have had an effect if enough people did it. DirecTV's stance has been PAC fans don't give enough a rip and you simply prove their point. They don't have the incentive to carry the network if they aren't losing any business.

Curious. What would you have the PAC do? Accept a deal with DirecTV and take in less gross revenue than they are now? Accept a deal with DirecTV and set precedence on RSN's be a la carte?

If the PAC took a misstep -- its Colorado, Utah, Cal and the others in the bottom half not moving the needle for DirecTV to see the value?

Of course the PAC needs to be on DirecTV. Scott shares blame in not getting a deal done. But at what cost? At half the price every other MSO has already been paying? At setting precedent and allowing the PAC N to be a la carte? Neither option is acceptable. Yes, cancelling service over the last two years would have had an effect if enough people did it. DirecTV's stance has been PAC fans don't give enough a rip and you simply prove their point. They don't have the incentive to carry the network if they aren't losing any business.

Curious. What would you have the PAC do? Accept a deal with DirecTV and take in less gross revenue than they are now? Accept a deal with DirecTV and set precedence on RSN's be a la carte?

If the PAC took a misstep -- its Colorado, Utah, Cal and the others in the bottom half not moving the needle for DirecTV to see the value?

I am hoping that eventually a deal is done to reach everyone. I just think the cost is too much right now and would set a bad precedent

I am hoping that eventually a deal is done to reach everyone.

Have to believe it will eventually. I hold no hope its going to happen this year, but maybe when we least expect it? PAC already has the least expensive carriage fee of the conference networks.

Of course the PAC needs to be on DirecTV. Scott shares blame in not getting a deal done. But at what cost? At half the price every other MSO has already been paying? At setting precedent and allowing the PAC N to be a la carte? Neither option is acceptable. Yes, cancelling service over the last two years would have had an effect if enough people did it. DirecTV's stance has been PAC fans don't give enough a rip and you simply prove their point.
I've proved their point by canceling my service?
They don't have the incentive to carry the network if they aren't losing any business.
They did lose my business.

In all of my limited responses to this debate, I have never attempted to have enough industry knowledge to offer up tactics. The only point I have ever hoped to get across is that if it was Scott's goal to get the PAC on DTV, he failed. Unfortunately, if DTV says the PAC is overvalued, then it is, because he over valued the network as it relates to DTV. I would like that not to be the case. I am in full support of Scott making the most possible money for the conference by all of the tools listed above.

From the PAC 10 perspective, definitely could be.

I just got off the phone with DirecTV and my contract won't expire until December 1st when college football season more or less is over.
I mentioned the Pac12 Network as my main issue. I've been with DirecTV since 2002 and really don't want to switch. My plan is to ride out my contract and see what happens with the AT&T Universal deal which when I asked the rep told me we should know more around January.
I can live without the Pac12 Net this fall since my parents have Dish and live 5 blocks from me.

If DirecTV doesn't have Pac12 this time next year I will make the switch.
At least I got 'The Redzone Channel' for free and all movie channels for free the next 3 months. It's the best I can do since I'm still under contract.

I missed you had cancelled and fair enough to the rest YellowShirt. If other's weren't paying the carriage fee and it weren't already the lowest priced conference network, I would be more inclined to blame the PAC vs. DirecTV. But as it is, most my blame and anger is directed at the 'Sports Leader'....

I missed you had cancelled and fair enough to the rest YellowShirt. If other's weren't paying the carriage fee and it weren't already the lowest priced conference network, I would be more inclined to blame the PAC vs. DirecTV. But as it is, most my blame and anger is directed at the 'Sports Leader'....

I missed that too, sorry Yellowshirt and others similarly effected.

I'm under contract. I'm done with them this time next year if no Pac12.

Meh, if your contact expires in December, your buyout is probably only like $50-$100. You'll save that in your first couple months with another carrier. Take one for the team!!

Just signed up with Dish. After all crap, $60 per month 1st year, $90 2nd. Average $75 for 2 years. Got the guy on the phone, blah blah blah hopper blah blah blah record stuff - PAC 12! Also Big 10 and sEC, yeah, whatever. A bunch of other - cbs sports, nbc sports, fox 1, nba, mlb, nfl, also NBA channel that shows all the games.

I went two months with rabbit ears, so I should probably get a medal.

The Pac-12 needs to understand the lack of demand for its product, and right now they're arguably 5th among the big 5 conferences in fan devotion. If they didn't know that before (and they should have) well they know it now. To put it in perspective, the P12 Network has been around for 2 years and still hasn't been able to cut a deal with DTV. Meanwhile the SEC Network was able to get a deal with DTV 10 days before the network even launched.

The Pac-12 needs to lower its demands and get their network on DTV, period. Otherwise conference exposure, national respect, and most importantly the fans will continue to suffer. It's past time for the alleged genius to get off his high horse and get this deal done.

Last edited:
I read enough posts on this forum conceding the SEC is clearly the best. From people who have access to all PAC-12 games. How does that change?

I read enough posts on this forum conceding the SEC is clearly the best. From people who have access to all PAC-12 games. How does that change?

I don't think you ever get to a point where the average Pac-12 fan cares as much about college football as the average SEC fan.

I don't think you ever get to a point where the average Pac-12 roster is as talented as the average SEC roster.

This is a geography and culture problem.

The solution, as folks don't want to admit, is to get into Oklahoma and Texas. If we're looking to land the biggest media deals and have the best teams in the nation, that's what it would take. The question is whether that is what we want.

For it to happen, it likely means that we go to a Pac-16 with Colorado on the side with Texas and the West being the original Pac-8 schools. Pod isn't likely to happen, so figure it's 7 games against the East and then playing 2 from the West every year. It would also mean, for basketball, home/home against the East for 14 games and then 1 game against each of the West teams and a 9- or 10-game OOC schedule.

That's the question facing the Pac-12. Do we want to be the richest and the best, or are we content being behind the SEC and B1G in money while no better than 2nd on talent?

On the field the P12 is right up there on paper heading into this season but the bottom line is this conference is an afterthought nationally. And why is that? Two big reasons - 1) they're at a timezone disadvantage, therefore stop playing so many late night games, and they've started to address that with an early kickoff every week; and 2) Get some national exposure, which means getting your network on the largest satellite provider.

I have been told more than once the SEC is clearly superior. Not all exposure driven. People love to buy into the SEC hype. Self-fulfilling prophecy. More exposure for the PAC-12 will not change that issue. The conference has no idea how to market football.

I have been told more than once the SEC is clearly superior. Not all exposure driven. People love to buy into the SEC hype. Self-fulfilling prophecy. More exposure for the PAC-12 will not change that issue. The conference has no idea how to market football.

I don't know that it's just marketing, Duff. The story of the South includes a lot of college football. Midwest is similar on that note. This is what's going to drive ratings and desire for the B1G and the SEC programming on the cultural front. The Pac-12 can certainly do a better job of marketing because if we're recognized for playing some of (if not the best) football, it would drive out-of-market interest from those football hotbeds. But no one in the Midwest or the South is dropping their television provider because PACN isn't part of the sports package. Mid-Atlantic and Northeast probably don't care enough either way. I'm not sure there's a solution outside TX/OK.

The Pac-12 needs to lower its demands and get their network on DTV, period. Otherwise conference exposure, national respect, and most importantly the fans will continue to suffer. It's past time for the alleged genius to get off his high horse and get this deal done.

Man, I just could not disagree more.

From phone

I'm not sure that Pac-12 really wants to market themselves as a football conference because of the perceived image it might project. :rolling_eyes: They seem much more comfortable and interested in promoting their olympic sports and academics. Newsflash to the Pac-12, those things don't bring ratings and interest.

As Nik said, the only way to change that is to bring Oklahoma and Texas football culture into this liberal conference.

I am perfectly fine not having the football is religion culture and that is never going to change. The PAC was widely recognized as the second best conference last season and had arguments for being the best top to bottom.

This season will only build on that. You don't devalue your own product by taking yourself out at the knees.

Read the times article, it's the long play.

From phone

I am not saying you make it all about football, but I think the conference does itself a disservice by almost letting football take care of itself.

Back