What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Both Directv and Dish expexted to sign on day 1 for sec network

Charter, a company that the Pac 12 can't get a contract done with, just agreed with the SEC Network. So now I can get the Big Ten and the SEC Networks but can't get the Pac 12 Network with the company I am happy with overall. I really think the Pac 12 is making a mistake not getting contracts done with Direct TV and Charter

You could make the PAC Network free on basic cable for every MSO in the country and it probably barely moves the needle in viewership. Like you said, people watch their schools/conference.
They announced the PAC will be available in 60 million homes this season. So cox, Comcast, etc. are expanding their markets.
Not being in bars is the big problem for exposure. But the network is doing fine. Sales 101 says you don't devalue your product and cut your fee in half when every other customer thinks you set the market right. F8ck DirecTV.

From phone

No, Sales 101 says that when you're product isn't selling you lower the price. That's Common Sense 101.

Once again the Pac-12 Network has been around for 2 years and DTV still isn't interested. The SEC Network gets a deal with DTV 10 days before they even launch, and at a higher rate. That tells you everything you need to know about the marketability (or lack of it) of the Pac-12 Network.

No, Sales 101 says that when you're product isn't selling you lower the price. That's Common Sense 101.

Once again the Pac-12 Network has been around for 2 years and DTV still isn't interested. The SEC Network gets a deal with DTV 10 days before they even launch, and at a higher rate. That tells you everything you need to know about the marketability (or lack of it) of the Pac-12 Network.

From what we know of how the negotiations went, DirectTV being disinterested seems like much more of a pissing contest that a lack of interest in the product.

It has sold to most every MSO other than DirecTV. Your solution is to take DirecTV's offer which is rumored HALF of what everyone is already paying? Then the favored nation clauses kick in and everyone gets DirecTVs rate card? Nope. Not going to happen. Let DirecTV sit and spin for the next 10 years, I don't give a ****. You would have a point if Cox, Comcast, Brighthouse, Time Warner, Dish and ATT had not agreed to the rate card, but they have.

The SEC Network is an extension of ESPN. ESPN has decided to throw content that would otherwise air on ESPN or ESPN 2 throughout the season. We knew the SEC Network was going to get it done.

DirecTV has been saying sorry PAC, no one gives a rip about your programming and we aren't losing any business. We can get a deal done at 50 cents on the dollar or you can set precedence at going a la carte. Those are the terms. You are telling me you agree to those terms?

DTV is also one of the largest providers out there so they can demand a higher rate, especially for a less popular network. DTV is also what most sports bars and restaurants have.

It's a failure by LS, plain and simple. He overplayed his hand.

The PAC also needs to get creative on how to allow the rest of the country to see the product (both broadcasting issues and game times). The PAC will always be below the Big 10 and the SEC, but the margin doesn't have to be so wide. (I'm not talking about quality of teams; the PAC is very competitive with the rest).

Embracing the digital age and finding ways to get around the traditional bundled TV carrier model, could be a good way to go. Make the product affordable and easy to access and you will develop a larger market for your product.

This and this. Sums it up perfectly.

DTV is also one of the largest providers out there so they can demand a higher rate, especially for a less popular network. DTV is also what most sports bars and restaurants have.

Lets use very simplistic and inaccurate numbers.

Current deal.
Available in 60 million homes at a rate of .80/.10

Deal which includes DTV
Available in 80 million homes at a rate of .40/.05

Realistic deal after ATT buy out goes through in 2015
Available in 80 million homes at a rate of .80/.10

You would take deal #2?

Last edited:
you need to load the repositories, go to youtube they have step by step on the entire process
I saw that after my post. I even attempted to edit the XML file as directed by further research, but, of course I do not have a true XML editor and Word added a bunch of crap to it instead of saving it clean.

I will try again later.

Thanks for the tips. I plan to switch away from DirecTV after my contract expires Sept 10th as a matter of principal at this point, but it is still an interesting application.

Lets use very simplistic and inaccurate numbers.

Current deal.
Available in 60 million homes at a rate of .80/.10

Deal which includes DTV
Available in 80 million homes at a rate of .40/.05

Realistic deal after ATT buy out goes through in 2015
Available in 80 million homes at a rate of .80/.10

You would take deal #2?

Thank you! I agree 100%. Many here are just looking at the number of subscribers. The PAC12 OWNS their network 100%. The other conferences can't say that.

This is very interesting, and this take is exactly why Larry Scott made a huge mistake. the Pac may own their network, but they give away what could make them bigger

2. The football schedule is what matters most.
It makes sense that the SEC and the Big Ten would be the leaders in network subscribers, since those two have the biggest followings. But the Pac-12 Networks is also behind its brethren due to a major flaw: the Pac-12 is too scared to show its best games on its network.
The way DirecTV sees it, the best football games the Pac-12 offers are already available to its customers. That's because the conference lets ESPN and Fox cherry-pick the top games each week, often just six or 12 days before kickoff. [...]
"Even though it is unwilling to invest its best games into its own channel, the conference has still established a high price for Pac-12 Networks and refuses to compromise," DirecTV spokesman Thomas Tyrer said.
Why should providers or subscribers pay for a network that doesn't show anything interesting? Why should you drop DirecTV for not having the Pac-12 Networks when you can watch all the games you care about elsewhere, then just watch USC beat down Cal at the local bar?

Here is a link to the entire article
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/3-big-things-know-sec-134133434.html

But the Pac-12 Networks is also behind its brethren due to a major flaw: the Pac-12 is too scared to show its best games on its network.

"Too scared" ? My lord.

First, it was poorly worded. If the Northwestern student who wrote that article was inferring the B1G offers big game content on the B1G network, the kid is smoking the good stuff. The B1G Network is all Tier 3 content passed over by their media partners. That doesn't make the B1G scared, its how their TV contracts are written.

As for the PAC 12, the conference retained all media rights. The way we set a then record TV contract with ESPN/Fox was setting it up as follows:
1. Every season before the first game ESPN and Fox get to pull 4 games each from inventory. So ESPN can pull Notre Dame at USC and Fox can pull USC at Oregon, etc.
2. After those games are pulled, there is a weekly draft held to pick games. The PAC 12 Networks gets 1st pick twice and 2nd pick six times during the season.

While the PAC 12 Networks will probably never get USC vs. UCLA or one of the highest profile games, they retained the right to offer much better games than the B1G Network. Wasn't clear if the student understood that.

As for the SEC. They took a different model and we haven't a clue if ESPN offered something similar to the PAC. ESPN has chosen to offer Tier 1 content on the SEC-Network to drive the rate card and carriage. Content they already own the rights to, games that we would have seen last year on ESPN or ESPN 2 are scheduled to be aired on the SECN this year. It's been a great success pre-launch and will undoubtedly continue to be a great success. ESPN has basically created ESPN 4 as the SEC-N.

Again, we haven't a clue if the PAC passed on something similar. If we did, I would tend to agree that was a mistake, even without the benefit of hindsight.

But the PAC 12 Networks is far from a failure, regardless of all the media surrounding the SEC Network success at the moment. Just a few months ago there were a ton of articles being written what a failure the SEC Network was b/c they hadn't reached major carriage deals. In other words, the media for the most part is ****ing clueless.

The PAC 12 Networks will be available in 60 million homes this season. The SEC Network available in 87 million. We don't even know what the profit split ESPN and the SEC have agreed to. We do know the PAC 12 Networks are 100% conference owned. We are going to be just fine.

"Too scared" ? My lord.

First, it was poorly worded. If the Northwestern student who wrote that article was inferring the B1G offers big game content on the B1G network, the kid is smoking the good stuff. The B1G Network is all Tier 3 content passed over by their media partners. That doesn't make the B1G scared, its how their TV contracts are written.

As for the PAC 12, the conference retained all media rights. The way we set a then record TV contract with ESPN/Fox was setting it up as follows:
1. Every season before the first game ESPN and Fox get to pull 4 games each from inventory. So ESPN can pull Notre Dame at USC and Fox can pull USC at Oregon, etc.
2. After those games are pulled, there is a weekly draft held to pick games. The PAC 12 Networks gets 1st pick twice and 2nd pick six times during the season.

While the PAC 12 Networks will probably never get USC vs. UCLA or one of the highest profile games, they retained the right to offer much better games than the B1G Network. Wasn't clear if the student understood that.

As for the SEC. They took a different model and we haven't a clue if ESPN offered something similar to the PAC. ESPN has chosen to offer Tier 1 content on the SEC-Network to drive the rate card and carriage. Content they already own the rights to, games that we would have seen last year on ESPN or ESPN 2 are scheduled to be aired on the SECN this year. It's been a great success pre-launch and will undoubtedly continue to be a great success. ESPN has basically created ESPN 4 as the SEC-N.

Again, we haven't a clue if the PAC passed on something similar. If we did, I would tend to agree that was a mistake, even without the benefit of hindsight.

But the PAC 12 Networks is far from a failure, regardless of all the media surrounding the SEC Network success at the moment. Just a few months ago there were a ton of articles being written what a failure the SEC Network was b/c they hadn't reached major carriage deals. In other words, the media for the most part is ****ing clueless.

The PAC 12 Networks will be available in 60 million homes this season. The SEC Network available in 87 million. We don't even know what the profit split ESPN and the SEC have agreed to. We do know the PAC 12 Networks are 100% conference owned. We are going to be just fine.
YMSSR.

:asskicking:

"Too scared" ? My lord.

Good post.

Also, I'd add that Pac-12 is establishing a foothold that will help them in future negotiations for Tier 1 contracts. They can go back to ESPN/Fox (or whomever else) and say, "Our Tier 3 content was worth X amount per subscriber to all the carriers, so the Tier 1 content should be valued at Y multiple, so we'll start the bidding at Z for that content."

What we need to do is increase the product on the field. Larry Scott is playing this very well and anyone who thinks that they should bend over for DTV needs to buy themselves a calculator and figure out the financials. The SEC Network is not owned by the SEC. DirecTV Knows this and that is why they are offering so little to the PAC12 (a long with on field product). they thought that because the PAC can keep all profits that LS would give away the farm. They were wrong. LS is proving to be a great business man and until the numbers show otherwise, I will continue to see it that way.

Again its an interesting take, and I am most interested in the cost per subscriber for the product received. SD made some excellent points, and is probably more correct then the author. The problem is IMAGE, and all the Scott apologists can spin it any way they like but to Joe Blow that reads it, it reaffirms to him that his notion the PAC is one step above the MW is confirmed. Unfortunately those that see it that way are the majority.

How about getting some national top ten match ups in the Pac (BTW, autocorrect tried changing it to PAC) and only make them available on the Pac Network? Gutsy or stupid?

Yet a good portion of the country and most sports bars don't have the Pac-12 Network. Yea, sounds like a great deal, as long as you don't give a **** about the fans.

Yet a good portion of the country and most sports bars don't have the Pac-12 Network. Yea, sounds like a great deal, as long as you don't give a **** about the fans.

^^^^This.
I've also come to notice a good portion of the LS defenders around here reside in the Pac-12 footprint (i.e. Colorado, California, the outlier Washington, Oregon or Arizona) and continue to not give a **** about us fans/alumni that live outside the regional footprint as they tout LS as a "genius."

I get a definite "let them eat cake" attitude toward us alumni/fans who live outside the "holy land."

^^^^This.
I've also come to notice a good portion of the LS defenders around here reside in the Pac-12 footprint (i.e. Colorado, California, the outlier Washington, Oregon or Arizona) and continue to not give a **** about us fans/alumni that live outside the regional footprint as they tout LS as a "genius."

I get a definite "let them eat cake" attitude toward us alumni/fans who live outside the "holy land."

You guys didn't get games before if they weren't picked up as national broadcasts either, did you?

At least now you can order Dish and then watch online if it's not on PACN national. Heck, we had an issue at a watch party I was at and someone brought a flat screen and his laptop to feed the game in for everyone (person and place redacted in case that's illegal or something).

You guys didn't get games before if they weren't picked up as national broadcasts either, did you?

At least now you can order Dish and then watch online if it's not on PACN national. Heck, we had an issue at a watch party I was at and someone brought a flat screen and his laptop to feed the game in for everyone (person and place redacted in case that's illegal or something).

Wrong my friend - in the days before the vaunted P12N, I added the highest sports tier package and was able to watch every Buffs game (except a Montana State debacle) via the old FCS, Fox Sports then Root NW, RM, or AZ (believe it or not) and sometimes the Sunshine network.

Wrong my friend - in the days before the vaunted P12N, I added the highest sports tier package and was able to watch every Buffs game (except a Montana State debacle) via the old FCS, Fox Sports then Root NW, RM, or AZ (believe it or not) and sometimes the Sunshine network.

Exactly, I saw all our games except for a couple of FCS opponents before we joined Larry's empire.

Have you called your carrier if they are adding the PAC this season? The cable carriers are adding additional markets this year.

And even if I didn't have the PAC, I would order dish. And if unable to do that, I would stream the PAC Network via chromecast and it would be >>>> than the FCS broadcasts

From phone

Exactly, I saw all our games except for a couple of FCS opponents before we joined Larry's empire.
And I live in the same area of the country you do, and I've seen every game since we joined Larry's empire.

Get dish, it's what real fans do.

Your options are similar to us in the footprint. I am in the footprint and I still don't get the P12N if I have DTV. So I selected a carrier that does. Can you get Dish?
If the reason you refuse to change is Sunday Ticket then being here in the footprint would'nt change that. I am looking at this as a business. Not the emotional argument many are presenting. You talk about image? A better product on the field can accomplish that. The SEC is not exactly the poster child when it comes to image......unless it is football related. The PAC improves and wins national titles and then our image improves.
To increase distribution I would focus on digital stream deals.

Your options are similar to us in the footprint. I am in the footprint and I still don't get the P12N if I have DTV. So I selected a carrier that does. Can you get Dish?

Uh, no. I have a 400 year old tree blocking the signal.

Got a feeling the neighborhood civic league (= hoidy toidy old time HOA that claims they're not an HOA) would go all Auburn on my ass. Plus a semester of one of my kids' college is more important.

Fans shouldn't have to switch carriers to accommodate the network. Instead the P12 network should be doing all they can to get their network on all available carriers, especially when they're already at a timezone disadvantage. And P12 fans wonder why the nation's 3rd-leading rusher in a P5 conference didn't get an invitation to the Heisman ceremony in NYC and finished a distant 10th in the voting.

The so-called genius talked up his conference as wanting to be national and did a media tour in NYC, yet they still can't get their network on one of the biggest carriers and continue to schedule late-night games east-coast time. Yea, great way to make your conference nationally prominent.

Back