What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl projections

and in that scenario, if UW wins the P12CG but misses the playoffs, and then gets the Rose Bowl, wouldn't Colorado (assuming we're the South champs), most likely get invited to the Alamo?

Not necessarily. Could drop behind others. Depends on rank. USC, Utah, Stanford & WSU all have paths to pass CU if things break wrong.

I think Bufffan68 was assuming an 12-1 UW team would still be ranked higher than an 11-2 CU team.

Right. So if CU won the P12C, UW could still get picked over CU for the playoff. But CU would have earned being the PAC-12's Rose Bowl representative unless the CFP committee poached CU for the playoff.

UW wouldn't be #1 in the Pac 12 at that point... CU would be with the head to head tie breaker.
No because in that scenario, CU is 11-2 and UW is 12-1. Meaning CU beat them in the P12CG and would hold the head to head tiebreaker.
CCG champion goes to the Rose Bowl unless invited to the playoff. If the CCG champion goes to the playoff, then it is the next highest ranked team, not the next highest team in the standings.

This thing is going to be in question right to the bitter end.

If we win out, we're going to the Rose Bowl. If we win out the regular season but lose to an unbeaten UW in a respectable fashion, we'll probably still go.

Any other scenario has us at the Alamo Bowl at best - but I'd prefer the Holiday to the Alamo Bowl, personally.

CCG champion goes to the Rose Bowl unless invited to the playoff. If the CCG champion goes to the playoff, then it is the next highest ranked team, not the next highest team in the standings.

This thing is going to be in question right to the bitter end.
Do you have a source for that? Everything I have seen says that bowl selection is done in order of conference record where the bowl selecting is allowed to choose the team with the best conference record and those within 1-loss of that record. I haven't seen anything that says the CFP rankings enter into the Pac-12 bowl selections.

Do you have a source for that? Everything I have seen says that bowl selection is done in order of conference record where the bowl selecting is allowed to choose the team with the best conference record and those within 1-loss of that record. I haven't seen anything that says the CFP rankings enter into the Pac-12 bowl selections.

The 103rd Rose Bowl Game will be held on January 2, 2017 at the Rose Bowl Stadium. The game will feature the champion of the Pac-12 and Big Ten Conference. If the Conference champion is selected to participate in the College Football Playoff Semifinal, the Rose Bowl Game will select the next best team in the conference. The Rose Bowl Game will host a College Football Playoff Semifinal in 2018.

-https://www.tournamentofroses.com/rose-bowl

"By contract with our Pac-12 and Big Ten Conference partners, each of their conference football champions will play in the Rose Bowl Game this year. In the event that either such champion is ranked in the top four in the final CFP ranking, we will then release that team to play in the CFP semi-final game, and the Tournament of Roses will select a replacement team from that conference. The strong presumption is that we will select the next highest CFP ranked team in that conference. Only in extraordinary situations will we deviate from that presumption."

-Scott Jenkins, Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair LINK

In 2016 Iowa and Ohio State were both 1 loss teams in the Big 10. The Rose Bowl committee selected Iowa because they were ranked higher in the final CFP Ranking, so there is precedent.

I think Bufffan68 was assuming an 12-1 UW team would still be ranked higher than an 11-2 CU team.
I was thinking we'd be PAC12 champs but still a game behind UW. So I was thinking #1 in the PAC would be the one w the best record, but Nik said the Rose Bowl goes to the winner of the PAC CG...if not selected for the playoffs.

A little tedious but it's sooooo much fun talking about CU in good bowl games

Thanks to S2S for posting it. I've posted it twice in the last 3 weeks or so, so I got lazy and didn't do it again. Not that I expect everyone to hang on every word posted on here, but that was why I didn't link the source.

If we win out, we're going to the Rose Bowl. If we win out the regular season but lose to an unbeaten UW in a respectable fashion, we'll probably still go.

Any other scenario has us at the Alamo Bowl at best - but I'd prefer the Holiday to the Alamo Bowl, personally.
It's hard for me to find a scenario where CU wins out, UW wins out, CU loses to UW and doesn't go to the Rose Bowl. The only teams we probably need to worry about being higher ranked than CU would be WSU, Utah, and (due to name) USC. In that scenario:
  • Utah would be 9-3 (at best) with a loss to Washington and a late-season loss to Colorado
  • WSU would be 8-4 (at best) with a loss to Colorado and a late-season loss to UW
  • USC would be 8-4 (at best)
Although wackier things have happened, it would be hard to imagine for me that a 10-3 CU team would drop below any of those teams after a loss to a UW team that would be going into the playoffs, especially considering that UU and WSU would have come off of losses as well.

That said, the nightmare scenario is for any of those teams to beat UW and CU go to (and lose) the P12 CG. It would definitely open the door for the winner of the P12CG (UW or WSU) to miss the playoffs, which would slot them into the Rose Bowl, and who knows how far CU would fall.

It's hard for me to find a scenario where CU wins out, UW wins out, CU loses to UW and doesn't go to the Rose Bowl. The only teams we probably need to worry about being higher ranked than CU would be WSU, Utah, and (due to name) USC. In that scenario:
  • Utah would be 9-3 (at best) with a loss to Washington and a late-season loss to Colorado
  • WSU would be 8-4 (at best) with a loss to Colorado and a late-season loss to UW
  • USC would be 8-4 (at best)
Although wackier things have happened, it would be hard to imagine for me that a 10-3 CU team would drop below any of those teams after a loss to a UW team that would be going into the playoffs, especially considering that UU and WSU would have come off of losses as well.

That said, the nightmare scenario is for any of those teams to beat UW and CU go to (and lose) the P12 CG. It would definitely open the door for the winner of the P12CG (UW or WSU) to miss the playoffs, which would slot them into the Rose Bowl, and who knows how far CU would fall.
Until Dec 5th, we are all massive UW fans.

Actually, I was more thinking of running out the back door, out where the horses were tied

Apologies for getting too far ahead in this saga. One thing you should know about Rosa's back door; once you exit, you'll by dying to get back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for getting to far ahead in this saga. One thing you should know about Rosa's back door; once you exit, you'll by dying to get back in.
From out of nowhere Felina has found me
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for
One little kiss and Felina, goodbye

This isn't hard people:

The winner of the Pac-12 Championship Game becomes the Pac-12 Champion <<full stop>>.

Ranking doesn't matter,
record doesn't matter,
there is no "tie breaker" other than the score in the game.
The winner of the game is the champion, period.

The Pac-12 Champion plays in the Rose Bowl, unless they are selected for the playoff.

If the Pac-12 champion is selected for the playoff, then the Rose Bowl has said that unless there is strong reason reason not to, they will select the next highest ranking Pac-12 team in the playoff rankings (not the AP poll, not the coaches' poll; the playoff rankings).

The highest ranking team may or may not be the loser of the Pac-12 Championship Game.

Bottom line:
If CU wins out, including the championship game, CU will be the Pac-12 Champions, and will either play in the Rose Bowl or the playoff. No other option is possible if CU wins out.

The only other route to the Rose Bowl requires the championship game winner to be selected for the playoff, and for CU to be the highest ranking team left in the Pac.

was it one of the rare occasions that Bobby got the lyrics right? "I picked a good one, it looked like he could run" vs "I picked a good one, it looked like a good one"

I think that Bobby got distracted at times....

Jeez...I just got my email for bowl tix as well... Okay, one thing I hadn't considered and I don't think has been discussed is the Cotton Bowl. They take 2 at large bids and historically have had top 10 to top 15 programs in the game. Since it showed up on the reservation form, I assume it's a possibility as well. How realistic is that? Can a PAC-12 program get an at large to the Cotton and take it instead of the Chicken Farm Bowl, let's say? (These bowl names are hysterical, but that's another thread discussion...)

Back