What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boy. There is a wide range of opinion about this years team!

Love the postive outlook, but his lack of fact or knowledge kind of discredits his opinion. Again...hope he is right, just sounds like he's trying too hard just to make the wildcard prediction so he can tell his D&D buddies "i told you so."

That pretty much sums it up. A+

Woah, hold on right there. You think we will beat Texas, but only win 7 games? Who will our 5 losses be against?

Ok. St? kNU (I hope not!!)? Kansas? K. State? Mizzery? W. Vag? You think we only win one of these games?

I'm not saying I'll be happy with us winning 7 games, but I think it could happen...Toledo & W. Vag will be harder games that most think - Toledo may be a small school in a weak conference, but they play big teams every year and we'll be coming in there confident (after a beat down of CSU) on a short week - I could see that game taking us by surprise. Next, I think W. Vag will have revenge on their minds - granted Pat White is gone, but that team is FAST and Morgantown is a tough place to play. Add in losses to Kansas, Mizzou and Okie Light, and unfortunately that adds up to 5 losses.

Personally, I would happily trade a gimme win like Toledo for a major upset at Texas - once agian, just my 2 cents...

Lastly, look who Texas plays the week after we visit them at home - OKALHOMA. Considering what happened between those 2 last year, can you really tell me that Texas is not going to be focused on the Red River shootout (which could again decide the national championship) - the way Texas sees us is just as a mid-tier Big XII team that didn't even make a bowl game last year...this game has potential upset written all over it!

Agreed, we just might be able to pull this one off. I know I would hate to see the Buffs play KSjuco the week before we play the Butthuskers.
Not that Texass would be overlooking us, but I can see most of their focus being on the Okee's.

Lastly, look who Texas plays the week after we visit them at home - OKALHOMA. Considering what happened between those 2 last year, can you really tell me that Texas is not going to be focused on the Red River shootout (which could again decide the national championship) - the way Texas sees us is just as a mid-tier Big XII team that didn't even make a bowl game last year...this game has potential upset written all over it!

Agreed, we just might be able to pull this one off. I know I would hate to see the Buffs play KSjuco the week before we play the Butthuskers.
Not that Texass would be overlooking us, but I can see most of their focus being on the Okee's.

That was my hoping about last years texas game. I wont be fooled this time. UT is gonna be mighty hard to bring down even if they are overlooking us.

Sorry but UT won't be over looking the Buffs when we roll in to Austin at 4 and 0! **** ya! Buffs WIN!

Take this for what it's worth from a neutral poster who bets on college football and will be betting on the Buffs this season. CU is much improved on the offensive line due to getting everyone back from injury. Their running backs are a year older and are very good. Against the majority of the teams out there this will be enough to win. The QB's are still subpar. Neither one of them can throw effectively and I think more than a few are still waiting for Cody to come of age. The passing game is going to be virtually nonexistant. The reason for this is both a lack of depth and experience. The only real threats you have (Geer and McKnight) are going to be blanketed by most defenses all game. Without someone stepping up, this is a problem.
Defensively, you have the LBers and secondary to keep your team in the game. The problem is the defensive front, which is entirely unproven. If they cannot handle their men, the LBers get swallowed up and teams with good running games will run all over them.

Bottom line: In order to take out good teams like UT and OSU, you have to be balanced. If they cannot establish a reliable passing game to go along with a good running attack they will lose. I see WV running all over the defense in a hostile environment. I see Nebraska being able to shut down the run and forcing them to pass which could go either way. CU will beat teams soundly that they are supposed to, namely, KSU, ISU, aTm, CSU, WYO, and Toledo. They should beat Mizzery with their completely rebuilt defense (especially the front). NU and KU are tossup games. UT and OSU are sure losses. Sorry, just reality. CU should have 7-8 wins with a bowl game this season. Hawk keeps his job for now, but REALLY needs to step up recruiting if he hopes to take CU to the next level. Just my .02.

Take this for what it's worth from a neutral poster who bets on college football and will be betting on the Buffs this season. CU is much improved on the offensive line due to getting everyone back from injury. Their running backs are a year older and are very good. Against the majority of the teams out there this will be enough to win. The QB's are still subpar. Neither one of them can throw effectively and I think more than a few are still waiting for Cody to come of age. The passing game is going to be virtually nonexistant. The reason for this is both a lack of depth and experience. The only real threats you have (Geer and McKnight) are going to be blanketed by most defenses all game. Without someone stepping up, this is a problem.
Defensively, you have the LBers and secondary to keep your team in the game. The problem is the defensive front, which is entirely unproven. If they cannot handle their men, the LBers get swallowed up and teams with good running games will run all over them.

Bottom line: In order to take out good teams like UT and OSU, you have to be balanced. If they cannot establish a reliable passing game to go along with a good running attack they will lose. I see WV running all over the defense in a hostile environment. I see Nebraska being able to shut down the run and forcing them to pass which could go either way. CU will beat teams soundly that they are supposed to, namely, KSU, ISU, aTm, CSU, WYO, and Toledo. They should beat Mizzery with their completely rebuilt defense (especially the front). NU and KU are tossup games. UT and OSU are sure losses. Sorry, just reality. CU should have 7-8 wins with a bowl game this season. Hawk keeps his job for now, but REALLY needs to step up recruiting if he hopes to take CU to the next level. Just my .02.

Sounds reasonable to me. I agree for the most part but I think we win the WVU game. I think their coach is a very nice guy but a complete moron.

i'm not a huge believer that UT will be overlooking us for OU and thereby vulnerable at home.

we beat OU in 07 but how many other times have OU or UT lost the week before the RRS in the last 10 years? not many. and they were both "looking ahead" then as well.

the thing interests me and i'm in the 7-9 win camp: i read a lot of other conference boards and no one among the other North teams seems to think we'll be in contention for the division title. that gives me some pause. what do they know? but, still....what do we know that they don't that's not homer stuff?

Sounds reasonable to me. I agree for the most part but I think we win the WVU game. I think their coach is a very nice guy but a complete moron.

I'm remain optimistic about our chances in Morganville. It's our unproven D-Line against their unproven O-Line.

I say it all of the time, but Toledo still scares me. They're bringing back most of the team that beat Michigan last season (nine starters and a quarterback on offense alone). They're a year more experienced, on their home turf and CU has almost no prep time.

The only real threats you have (Geer and McKnight) are going to be blanketed by most defenses all game. Without someone stepping up, this is a problem.

You don't think Simas, Simmons and Jefferson will help keep the defenses honest? I'm thinking that even their presence on the field and an occasional catch (although I'm expecting much more) will make sure that our slot receivers and TEs will get shots to make some plays

You don't think Simas, Simmons and Jefferson will help keep the defenses honest? I'm thinking that even their presence on the field and an occasional catch (although I'm expecting much more) will make sure that our slot receivers and TEs will get shots to make some plays

I'm with you here, but you must admit that we're placing a lot of value on dudes that have never played a down.

I'm with you here, but you must admit that we're placing a lot of value on dudes that have never played a down.
Absolutely. This is why you'll never hear me touting players who have never played a down of CFB. Some come in and excell, others take a long time to "get it". Who knows, maybe they'll come out blazing and prove me wrong, but most of the time they aren't superstars from the get go.

You make some valid points, yet my biggest concern with the Buffs this year is the play of special teams. A Goodman FG attempt cost us a game from close range last year including several missed PAT's and failed to keep us close in a couple of other games that could have been winnable.
I know........shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Absolutely. This is why you'll never hear me touting players who have never played a down of CFB. Some come in and excell, others take a long time to "get it". Who knows, maybe they'll come out blazing and prove me wrong, but most of the time they aren't superstars from the get go.

To a point. WR's are a different story. The WR position doesn't require a whole lot of preparation. It's mostly getting into a rythm with the QB and being on the same page. Simas has certainly gotten the chance to accomplish this. Simmons - not so much. But by the end of the year, both *should* be perfectly comfortable in the offense. Add in McKnight and Geer and we're in business for passing the ball. That's assuming Cody (or Hansen) can get them the ball. That's the x factor right there. It remains to be seen how well either of those guys will perform. I'm not terribly concerned about the WRs, but the QB situation is a definite concern.

You make some valid points, yet my biggest concern with the Buffs this year is the play of special teams. A Goodman FG attempt cost us a game from close range last year including several missed PAT's and failed to keep us close in a couple of other games that could have been winnable.
I know........shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Good point. When you are afraid to kick 35yd field goals, it puts you behind the eight ball in close games. We need a kicker to hit some stuff early so that we can have some confidence in that portion of our game.

I don't know, but all the little snippets I hear coming from various sources has be really encouraged. At the same time, I've heard positive stuff before only to be disappointed.

For instance:

I hear encouraging things about guys like Bonsu and others on the DLine that make me believe they may be much better than some expect.

I hear encouraging things about Hansen. That is is looking really good. So is Cody for that matter.

I hear encouraging things about Polk at safety.

I hear encouraging things about the way the team is practicing compared to past years.

Stuff like that.

COSker, good points, but I think our WR's are gonna be good and opposing defenses will have to be ready for big plays from the passing game. I know Simas and Simmons haven't played yet, but the chances at least one of them will be a threat if not both are a lot greater than they wont. As someone who has watched Simas in scrimmages, I am excited to see that kind of play in games. We will see.

I don't know, but all the little snippets I hear coming from various sources has be really encouraged. At the same time, I've heard positive stuff before only to be disappointed.

For instance:

I hear encouraging things about guys like Bonsu and others on the DLine that make me believe they may be much better than some expect.

I hear encouraging things about Hansen. That is is looking really good. So is Cody for that matter.

I hear encouraging things about Polk at safety.

I hear encouraging things about the way the team is practicing compared to past years.

Stuff like that.

We have heard this before I know, but I just feel this time it is for real.

Please make it for real.

To a point. WR's are a different story. The WR position doesn't require a whole lot of preparation. It's mostly getting into a rythm with the QB and being on the same page. Simas has certainly gotten the chance to accomplish this. Simmons - not so much. But by the end of the year, both *should* be perfectly comfortable in the offense. Add in McKnight and Geer and we're in business for passing the ball. That's assuming Cody (or Hansen) can get them the ball. That's the x factor right there. It remains to be seen how well either of those guys will perform. I'm not terribly concerned about the WRs, but the QB situation is a definite concern.
I was listening to Klatt and Kreckman talk CU a few weeks ago. Klatt expressed his concern in the passing game as well. He said that about 75% of the passes he threw in college he never saw his receiver. Said that he was throwing to a spot and trusting his guy to be there. His point was that the new receivers are going to have to develop that trust and chemistry with whoever the QB is very quickly or they will be in bad shape. I thought this was interesting coming from an ex QB.

I was listening to Klatt and Kreckman talk CU a few weeks ago. Klatt expressed his concern in the passing game as well. He said that about 75% of the passes he threw in college he never saw his receiver. Said that he was throwing to a spot and trusting his guy to be there. His point was that the new receivers are going to have to develop that trust and chemistry with whoever the QB is very quickly or they will be in bad shape. I thought this was interesting coming from an ex QB.
I think Joel is maybe stretching the truth just a tad. He "never saw the receiver?" Come on. You HAVE to be aware of where you are throwing and who is in that zone. Otherwise, you'd throw a ton of interceptions. Joel has a tendancy to kind of over embelish. But I will say this, you do throw to a spot. Timing between QB and WR is very important.

Back