What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boycott the Denver Post

Denver_sc

Club Member
Club Member
I think we can all agree that the Denver Post (and specifically their sports coverage) has been going downhill for a long time. Last night was the final straw for me.

I will not link to it, but Mark Kiszla wrote a reductionist, simplified, and vile article about Rashaan Salaam and the end of his life. Not only is it highly insensitive to people with mental illness and those who have been impacted by suicide, but it commodifies Rashaan and uses him as an object to generate clicks and provoke reactions. I'm pretty sure that there is a nuanced, important discussion to be had about suicide that involves Rashaan, but I'm also pretty sure that a 1,000 word article from someone as ham-handed as Mark Kiszla is not the forum.

It is disgusting, and absolutely a bridge too far. I have let the Denver Post know that I will not buy another paper from them until the article is removed from their archives and Kiszla is gone. If you feel as strongly about this as I do, I would highly suggest you do the same.

I tend to not see what you have seen.
I read the article, and it seemed as if he was stating how good he was on the field, and that somewhere in life after football it's hard to adust.

We've seen this before, and right now NONE of us know what happened or why. It's possible he has issues as seen in the movie Concussion.
It's possible he didn't, but had other reasons to end his own life.

It appeared to me as if he was writing about the team he was recruited with and how awesome they all were, and he was the best of the bunch and
how most people do not, or cannot, understand why he took his life....but that's just me.

I thought the CTE speculation in the RS thread here on AB was more inappropriate than anything in that article. the DP piece wasn't notably different than other pieces.

Wierd headline though.

I've been boycotting them ever since they ruined the Rocky Mountain news. I've always despised the Denver post, even as a small kid. It's poorly organized, the writing generally sucked, the sports were always subpar as well. I also always hated the way it unfolded, i hated having to unfold the ****ing thing just to get to ****. F the Denver post, I only buy it when someone wins a championship ship and that's ONLY because I collect and frame the headlines.

I tend to not see what you have seen.
I read the article, and it seemed as if he was stating how good he was on the field, and that somewhere in life after football it's hard to adust.

We've seen this before, and right now NONE of us know what happened or why. It's possible he has issues as seen in the movie Concussion.
It's possible he didn't, but had other reasons to end his own life.

It appeared to me as if he was writing about the team he was recruited with and how awesome they all were, and he was the best of the bunch and
how most people do not, or cannot, understand why he took his life....but that's just me.

The fact that "right now NONE of us know what happened or why" is the point. Kiszla jumped to conclusions on what and why to run with a story angle. And then the horrible DP editors put a title to the column that was pure click bait/ search engine whoring.

What I do hope to read, since it will be well-written and come from relatable personal experience, would be if Woody decides to research and write a story about depression and how hard it can be (assuming that this was a suicide).

"Salaam got tired, let him sleep"

That's a terrible line...but he always is a terrible writer so it fits. I get the tone of the article and it isn't insanely disrespectful but it is poorly written and unnecessary.

I've been boycotting them ever since they ruined the Rocky Mountain news. I've always despised the Denver post, even as a small kid. It's poorly organized, the writing generally sucked, the sports were always subpar as well. I also always hated the way it unfolded, i hated having to unfold the ****ing thing just to get to ****. F the Denver post, I only buy it when someone wins a championship ship and that's ONLY because I collect and frame the headlines.
Also, the Rocky Mountain News's comics section >>>> the DP's.

Didn't read the article, but the Post is trash. I won't even buy it to start a fire in the fireplace.

The fact that "right now NONE of us know what happened or why" is the point. Kiszla jumped to conclusions on what and why to run with a story angle. And then the horrible DP editors put a title to the column that was pure click bait/ search engine whoring.

What I do hope to read, since it will be well-written and come from relatable personal experience, would be if Woody decides to research and write a story about depression and how hard it can be (assuming that this was a suicide).

Unfortunately Woody is gone and Kizla is still there. Says all you need to know about the current condition of the Post.

Back when papers were viable I was a fan of the Post, disliked the News. The Post had better writers and tended to be more balanced, now they either go for the cheap or the sensational, Kizla may be both.

Woody now writes for the Colorado Springs Gazette. I hope he does a column because he is an excellent writer, has personal experience with Rashaan, and has never been shy about addressing mental illness including his own experiences.

Sure, keep boycotting newspapers until we have none. Great plan.
WTF is the sarcasm font anyway? I hope that was it, but you get the point. You hate an article, you try to kill the entire paper.
When there is nothing but Fox News left, don't blame me. I will subscribe to the bitter end.

I thought the CTE speculation in the RS thread here on AB was more inappropriate than anything in that article. the DP piece wasn't notably different than other pieces.

Wierd headline though.
Why is CTE speculation inappropriate? It has been a factor in multiple suicides of former football players.

Writing an article speculating on why he'd commit suicide is in poor taste. To suggest it was the trophy, shows how incredibly misinformed or flat out ignorant the man is.
To show that ignorance, when the news is so fresh, is especially nauseating to me.

The headline was in poor taste (and click bait as 'Nik asserts), but it was almost lifted verbatim from the article. It was in fact the conclusion of the article. I don't blame anyone but Kizla.

So why would Salaam check out? We don’t get it. We seldom do, maybe because the last thing a football star ever wants to show is pain. You gotta play hurt, right?

The Heisman Trophy is cast in bronze, but the life of a man who wins it is not paved in gold. Salaam conquered the football world at age 20. That left a lifetime of mornings to wake up and not have 50,000 people cheering him on.
The Heisman weighs 25 pounds. Yes, it’s a big prize. And it can also be a heavy burden to carry.
Salaam got tired.
Let him sleep.

Sure, keep boycotting newspapers until we have none. Great plan.
WTF is the sarcasm font anyway? I hope that was it, but you get the point. You hate an article, you try to kill the entire paper.
When there is nothing but Fox News left, don't blame me. I will subscribe to the bitter end.

If it makes you feel better, I don't watch Fox News, either.

Crazy, I was a kid when this happened so I didn't see the stats really till now.

His 1994 season is one of the GREATEST athletic feats of all time. 6.90 yards per carry was only beat by Barry sanders and j.j Arrington, 171 yards per game is better than any average anyone the NFL has ever done (harder competition though no doubt) in a 2000 season.

Just pulling random names off a list. But comparatively Marcus Allen ran 135 MORE times in 1981 and only had 300 more yards.

All this and he had 24 touchdowns? I'm sure some of you realize this but I didn't even recognize how amazing a feat it truly was. 2000 yards in 298 carries? Wow

Writing an article speculating on why he'd commit suicide is in poor taste. To suggest it was the trophy, shows how incredibly misinformed or flat out ignorant the man is.
To show that ignorance, when the news is so fresh, is especially nauseating to me.

The headline was in poor taste (and click bait as 'Nik asserts), but it was almost lifted verbatim from the article. It was in fact the conclusion of the article. I don't blame anyone but Kizla.
Good post. Speculating in this type of situation is never good. In time we will find out what happened, then Kizla can speculate on the situation. It would take a lot for me to not punch him in the face if I was a family member or friend. The timing of the article is extremely insensitive, but not surprising from who came from.

I don't see what is wrong with Kiz's article. I know he has ticked off CU fans for years but isn't that why the DP retains him?

Back