What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boyle to OU?

Wait. Wut?

Did you say there's a school with lower admission standards than OU?

Sorry drove 5 hours this morning to come home from vacation and have been drinking since 12:00. They are probably not that low.

RedDirt hit the nail on the head earlier; OU media types think very highly of that job. They were certain Bill Self would come "home" from Kansas to coach at OU the last time it was open. Of course, that's ridiculous on two levels - 1. He's not leaving Kansas; 2. An Oklahoma State grad isn't leaving Kansas for OU. So these people have a loony take on things when that job opens up.

Boyle would be a fool to take it. The program and AD has a lot of internal problems and the basketball program is an absolute afterthought there. They're probably averaging 4,500 people a game in recent years and Pastner get s17k at Memphis, so....

OU will end up with a Missouri Valley type guy, like the Wichita State coach or someone along those lines.

Despite what I think of the Bevo X Conference, the UT-Norman job is still a good one. Big salary, good tradition, and you can recruit there. They don't even mind if you run a dirty program as long as you win.

Tad Boyle gave up a six figure income to coach basketball for $25K. I think we need to realize that he marches to the beat of a different drummer. He isn't Jeff Bzdelic.

Last edited:
Nik, Mick, et al -- I'm not saying the boomer opening is a bad one. They certainly have some history with Tubbs and Sampson, and it's easy to forget that Capel had them in the elite-8 with Blake G (who Capel recruited). They have decent facilities and they have decent attendance when they're winning.

My point was about the perception. The local hacks and, to some extent, many of the fans believe the boomer BB program is much more than it really is. It's not. They've had pretty decent success since the 1980', ironically with 3 coaches who've attracted NCAA attention.

When the hacks talk about pulling a coach from the bigEast conference -- what? Not gonna happen. If, by some miracle, the boomers lure Buzz Williams from (the big least conference) Marquette -- the next time I'm around AllBuff members, I'll but every AB member a beer. In fact, the boomer soonermobile isn't even in the same class as Arizona -- 23 consecutive dance appearances, 2 championship games, and 1 trophy. The crimson-n-cream is a step below that.

It's all a matter of perception.

Another Okie Buff here...the OU job is a very good one and the Sooners are no strangers to good basketball. Yes they do have the facilities but the typical OU fan probably has no idea about CU's new practice facility being built. If they knew, they might have been less inclined to think they could get Boyle.

OU has to go big on this hire...Capel came from VCU and after the Blake Griffin years hasn't done much. OU fans won't accept another mid major hire...they will want a bigger name. The one person they might go after is Tubby Smith...he was well liked at Tulsa and I think he might want to get out of Minnesota since things haven't worked out there.

Bruce Pearl would be a name, but I doubt they would hire him after 1 coach removed from Sampson.

Tad Boyle understands that he can be the Bill McCartney of CU basketball. He has a chance to do something very special. He can create a legacy. He can etch his name in history in the State he loves. This thing is about to POP.

OU has to go big on this hire...Capel came from VCU and after the Blake Griffin years hasn't done much. OU fans won't accept another mid major hire...they will want a bigger name. The one person they might go after is Tubby Smith...he was well liked at Tulsa and I think he might want to get out of Minnesota since things haven't worked out there.

Bruce Pearl would be a name, but I doubt they would hire him after 1 coach removed from Sampson.

I get that sence too. I'm not sure the boomer faithful will be appeased with another "hot" young coach from a mid-major.

Tubby Smith is an interesting possibility (with local ties). Would not surprise me to see the AD go after him.

23 wins and playing in March. I kinda think these are the glory day S2S.
was a comment about the past. My point was Boyle is building something here. Not an every now and then in the dance kind of team. He is building a powerhouse from the ground up. He is building a basketball program, in a state that could care less, that has already set attendance records. He is here for the long haul and I dont think he will even think about leaving until he is done. You can just tell in how he carries himself on the court, how he admires the crowd after the game, how he speaks about the program. He cares, he wants to build something we have never seen, and he isnt going anywhere. I agree these are the glory days. I can't wait till we look back on these days as the days when CU basketball really began.

was a comment about the past. My point was Boyle is building something here. Not an every now and then in the dance kind of team. He is building a powerhouse from the ground up. He is building a basketball program, in a state that could care less, that has already set attendance records. He is here for the long haul and I dont think he will even think about leaving until he is done. You can just tell in how he carries himself on the court, how he admires the crowd after the game, how he speaks about the program. He cares, he wants to build something we have never seen, and he isnt going anywhere. I agree these are the glory days. I can't wait till we look back on these days as the days when CU basketball really began.

I don't disagree with you, at all.

I've seen the bad.

I've seen the glimpses of good. Imagine watching the Chauncy teams while going through a school in North Carolina.

I really like the direction this is heading. And I hope Tad stays for a while.

from my experience in Norman, briefly, and a step-dad who is a big OU hoops fan.....seems to me that the danger is the program is in a perilous position with 3-4 mediocre seasons in a row.....because then it becomes football season 365. i'd also be interested in what impact the NBA team has had on OU and OSU attendance. it's the shiny, new toy and they are winning.

i've seen games the last couple years on TV where GIA doesn't even look more than about 2/3 full. and OSU has typically drawn well at least since Eddie Sutton came back.

Everytime I open this board and see this thread title, I get pissed. But its good for Tad. The more your name is associated with other jobs, the more pressure for the admin to give you a raise and extension.

Tad Boyle gave up a six figure income to coach basketball for $25K. I think we need to realize that he marches to the beat of a different drummer. He isn't Jeff Bzdelic.

This is the point, Tad does what he does because he wants to, not for the money and attention. OU is a pretty good job but not a great one. They will pay well and they will support you as long as you are winning and they aren't overly worried about how you do it.

Tad is a guy who has proven that his values are more important that a bigger paycheck. He wants to live in Colorado, likes the challenge of building something that he can be responsible for, and is willing to work hard enough to make it happen.

Does this mean he won't leave, of course not. If Kansas came calling with a big contract or even one of the traditional powers like Arizona, UCLA, or the right Big East School he would certainly listen. He isn't leaving though for a school that has had a mixed history and where basketball will always be second to football in a place that isn't where he wants to live.

The NBA team has definitely stolen a lot of basketball interest away from both OU and OSU basketball.

OU was an elite 8 team during Blake Griffin's last year (2008-2009) so for OU to fire Capella now there had to be more to the story than just wins and losses. I wouldn't expect OU to go hard after Boyle. They might inquire about his interest but I doubt they do much more than that. I expect OU will go after a coach at a small college ala the guy at Marquette or something like that.

Capel got fired for two horrible seasons - just wins/losses. There isn't some Quinn Snyder conspiracy going on there.

Whoever mentioned Tubby - great thinking. I've always liked Tubby as a coach, and OU wants a big name. This will be interesting what develops, because I think the OU positions is a solid job for a good coach. Money is there, and OK does have some decent HS talent.

nice catch. I had to different thoughts going on at the same time. Was gonna say back to the glory days but... we havent really ever had that in basketball.

Nice catch? I had caught and posted about it 3 hours before philly!:wink2:

I know we're talking about OU, but should we be more worried about Mizzou making a run at him if Anderson heads to Arkansas?

I know we're talking about OU, but should we be more worried about Mizzou making a run at him if Anderson heads to Arkansas?

No Chance. If Tad is going to go somewhere, its going to be a major step up, not a small step or lateral. I believe he won't go anywhere unless Kansas or someone else at that level were to come calling. I.E. he won't be going to Tennessee either.

No Chance. If Tad is going to go somewhere, its going to be a major step up, not a small step or lateral. I believe he won't go anywhere unless Kansas or someone else at that level were to come calling. I.E. he won't be going to Tennessee either.

Much in the same way the head coach of Kansas isn't going to OU as he is also an OSU guy. Don't see a KU guy moving from a high D-I school to coach at Mizzou.

Back