1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boyle's Success equals Embree's Dismissal?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Nov 20, 2012.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

I know some people think that Boyle's success may be buying Bohn and Embree some time b/c people are excited about hoops, etc.

But I am thinking that maybe his success means Embree's failure may not be acceptable. Here is why?

We are a traditional football school with minimal tradition or enthusiasm for hoops. In just a few year's time, Boyle has shown you can recruit lights out Colorado in a major sport that is not football, that you can win in the Pac 12 at Colorado AND that by putting a quality product on the court, fans will come.

We blew away the season ticket record for hoops this year while we are watching record lows in attendance at football. This means $ from attendance, TV revenues, alumni engagement and donations and building CU's national brand.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think Boyle's success supports Bohn's position while eroding Embree's position.

3. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

There's no question that Boyle is doing a terrific job. He's both a tremendous coach and recruiter. There's also no question that he inherited a far better situation than Embree. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Embree has done nearly well enough, but who did Embree inherit that's comparable to Alec Burks? You could argue P-rich, but it's far more difficult for P-rich to impact a game than it was for Burks.

4. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

chitownbuff likes this.
  5. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

How can two sports within the same athletic department be so completely different?

Boyle is gregarious, eager to meet with fans and alums, fiery and competitive, yet very supportive of his players. He has surrounded himself with good assistants. He recruits hard and coaches hard and the results are showing on the court.

Embree is moody, paranoid, completely shut off from fans and alums, looks like a fool on the sideline, and the rumors make it out like he is incredibly divisive in his own locker room. His recruiting is in the tank, it doesn't appear that his coaching is working at all - and the results are showing on the field.

It is like the two programs are in entirely different athletic departments.

6. boydbuff

Exactly-this is why I think Boyle's success is making JE look worse-Boyle is proving w/ the right attitude and competence success is possible at the highest level of a major sport at CU competing in the Pac 12.

7. boydbuff

Totally agree.

8. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

9. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I assume most folks got the joke, but were too afraid it may be a seriously considered option to comment on it.