What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bracketology 2013/2014

The PAC 12 is ridiculously underseeded in that bracket. UCLA may be playing the best basketball of any team in the country right now. I'd love to see ASU against any of those highly rated Big Ten teams. I'd really like to see Aaron Craft vs. Jahii Carson.

The PAC 12 is ridiculously underseeded in that bracket. UCLA may be playing the best basketball of any team in the country right now. I'd love to see ASU against any of those highly rated Big Ten teams. I'd really like to see Aaron Craft vs. Jahii Carson.
Craft would eat Jahii up.

Craft would eat Jahii up.

Learned a lot about Jahii last night. Mainly that everyone on ASU - including Sendek - apparently hates him. Thoroughly enjoyed watching Jahii and Sendek get in to a screaming match during the game while Jahii was trying to play defense. I also enjoyed Bachynski getting position on Josh and having Jahii completely ignore him. But mostly? Mostly I enjoyed watching someone on CU say something to Jahii, see him get pissed off and then decide to play ISO-ball. Yeah, he got his 18 points, but no one else really got involved (outside of Gilling's hot streak for 2 minutes).

Jahii's a headcase.

If we get to a 6 seed or better, I'll make the trip to wherever we play. Otherwise it will be a maybe, leaning towards yes.

So I looked at some RPI forecast tools and we really need Utah to beat ASU this weekend and actually they need to beat Colorado (or a bay area team) to stay in the top 100 RPI, if they lose to either us or ASU (I am assuming they lose both Bay area games) they finish outside of the top 100. This could turn out to be considered a bad loss for us.

Learned a lot about Jahii last night. Mainly that everyone on ASU - including Sendek - apparently hates him. Thoroughly enjoyed watching Jahii and Sendek get in to a screaming match during the game while Jahii was trying to play defense. I also enjoyed Bachynski getting position on Josh and having Jahii completely ignore him. But mostly? Mostly I enjoyed watching someone on CU say something to Jahii, see him get pissed off and then decide to play ISO-ball. Yeah, he got his 18 points, but no one else really got involved (outside of Gilling's hot streak for 2 minutes).

Jahii's a headcase.

It has plenty of similarities to Julius Hodge in his early NCSU years. Hodge grew up a bit, Jahii isn't going to

So I looked at some RPI forecast tools and we really need Utah to beat ASU this weekend and actually they need to beat Colorado (or a bay area team) to stay in the top 100 RPI, if they lose to either us or ASU (I am assuming they lose both Bay area games) they finish outside of the top 100. This could turn out to be considered a bad loss for us.

Confused by this, please help me out. #1 We haven't lost to Utah this season so what is being considered a bad loss?..#2 How would Utah beating Colorado be good for us? Are you a Utah fan? My head hurts.

In other words, we need 1 of 3 things to happen:

1. We beat Utah and they win some other games to stay Top 100 and make this a quality win for CU. (Ideal)
2. We beat Utah and they don't win enough other games to stay Top 100. (Acceptable)
3. We lose to Utah and they win enough of the rest of their games to avoid this being a bad loss. (Resume Saver)

In other words, we need 1 of 3 things to happen:

1. We beat Utah and they win some other games to stay Top 100 and make this a quality win for CU. (Ideal)
2. We beat Utah and they don't win enough other games to stay Top 100. (Acceptable)
3. We lose to Utah and they win enough of the rest of their games to avoid this being a bad loss. (Resume Saver)

I am very worried they are going to be around the 100-110 range, which is absolutely brutal in terms of our resume. Would definitely be our worst loss and only because they played such a bull**** schedule.

From ESPN
Colorado [20-7 (9-5), RPI: 24, SOS: 28] Spencer Dinwiddie's season-ending ACL tear in January could have ruined Colorado's season. Instead, the Buffaloes have gone on to a 9-5 Pac-12 record with four games to play, the first of which is Saturday's big home date against Arizona. From there, it's at Utah, at Stanford, and at Cal. If the Buffaloes go 0-4 in those four games, they might be in jeopardy. They could use a good road win or two. But those would hardly be four bad losses, either, and when you compare Colorado's tidy RPI and schedule numbers with the actual bubble, it's getting harder and harder to see how Tad Boyle's resilient team misses the tournament.
We're listed as "teams that should be in," sounds just right IMO.

Is it awful that I am torn between wanting to see this team in the NCAA's or the NIT? I know what a great accomplishment it will be to make 3 consecutive tourney's, however part of me thinks that we could get through a NIT bracket, and would just give this team more time to play together without the Mayor, more practices etc. We have no legitimate chance to get past the first weekend in the big dance.

Is it awful that I am torn between wanting to see this team in the NCAA's or the NIT? I know what a great accomplishment it will be to make 3 consecutive tourney's, however part of me thinks that we could get through a NIT bracket, and would just give this team more time to play together without the Mayor, more practices etc. We have no legitimate chance to get past the first weekend in the big dance.
There's no question IMO, I'd rather be in the Tourney any year. I don't want to be competing for #69, I want to be competing for #1. That's like saying you don't want to be in a major bowl because you can't win, but you'd rather be in a minor bowl because you have a great shot.

I see your point, still torn on it. Of course I want to see my team in the tournament, I think Saturday just left a sour taste in my mouth. I expected to win that game, not "hoping" we could win, I knew we were going to.

Someone brings this up every year and the answer is yes, it is awful and you're absolutely wrong. There are many reasons why keeping the streak of NCAA Tournaments going is imperative. The NIT is a loser tournament. Our freshmen need Dance experience, not playing Cleveland State at home in front of a crowd of 3k.

Someone brings this up every year and the answer is yes, it is awful and you're absolutely wrong. There are many reasons why keeping the streak of NCAA Tournaments going is imperative. The NIT is a loser tournament. Our freshmen need Dance experience, not playing Cleveland State at home in front of a crowd of 3k.

Also, it really hurts recruiting as well is buy-in from the fans.

I was at the NIT game in 2006 with the "one more year" chants for Roby (how silly does that look now?), attendance was under 2k.

Besides which the NIT mattered more in 2011 when we got screwed over and general lackluster play in the previous decade than it does now with three straight postseason appearances.

It shouldn't even be a thought right now. There's little to gain from the NIT and more to lose like getting embarrassed by a hungrier team.

No ****. This is no different than the the few dorks who wanted CU to go to the MWC to increase the number of wins.

For a school like CU, that has what I would consider to be "an established basketball program", I think it's better to be a one-and-done NCAA tourney team than an NIT champion.
In terms of recruiting and building national exposure, making the NCAA >>> winning the NIT.

For a school without an established basketball program (e.g. Virginia Tech), I think a deep run in the NIT to give players and coaches extra games and practice times is more important.

Given that this is one of those "situationally dependent" things, I don't feel your mindset is awful -- but, now, get on board, Buffs are going to Arlington!

Making the NIT isn't going to help continue the recruiting momentum. Actually baffled that people would think it's better to make the NIT than the Dance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a school like CU, that has what I would consider to be "an established basketball program", I think it's better to be a one-and-done NCAA tourney team than an NIT champion.
In terms of recruiting and building national exposure, making the NCAA >>> winning the NIT.

For a school without an established basketball program (e.g. Virginia Tech), I think a deep run in the NIT to give players and coaches extra games and practice times is more important.

Given that this is one of those "situationally dependent" things, I don't feel your mindset is awful -- but, now, get on board, Buffs are going to Arlington!
I think it's almost always better to make the 68 team Tourney even in lieu of a deep NIT run, but I think teams that haven't had recent success can gain from deep NIT runs. I don't feel that is as much the case with CU.

Back