What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breakout player -- what guy's breakout would give the most upside?

I'd really like to see Bobo step up and take one of the outside WR positions. This would give the ability for CU to use Shay in the slot, which I think he is most deadly.

I will say Alex Kinney. I anticipate a lot of close games this year and most will come down to a 3 point here or there, as well as field position.

If Alex can be an AC type of kicker/punter, that might be the difference between 3 wins and 6 or 7.

Am I mis-remembering on this one (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)... but didn't Henington decide to become a vegetarian last year? It's damn near impossible to pack on muscle mass and bulk with a vegetarian diet. If I remember correctly, that's a big factor that played into him deciding to slim down to DE despite coaches' wishes that he play on the interior.

Based on that and his lingering injury issues (non-participant this spring after missing last season), I've got Henington pegged as a guy who will graduate and move on from college/football as soon as he can.

I didn't know that about him, that sucks I was obviously the one who mis-remembered

According to my other post I guess I should have said Shaver but I beli that for anyone in the 2nd or 3rd level of the defense to be better than good, the D line has to play at a higher level

According to my other post I guess I should have said Shaver but I beli that for anyone in the 2nd or 3rd level of the defense to be better than good, the D line has to play at a higher level

With Shaver making the move to LB, I guess he's in the Brady Daigh role this year. Very worrisome is that he could end up starting at ILB if Gillam isn't back to health.

Like what your saying here! What I'd like to add/switch:
#3 WR Walker/Keeney (don't seeing him gain enough weight to B TE) Thus Spruce position
TE would love for Center to solidify spot (remember MIAMI 'U' offered him based on his work out tape...
LB Shaver ILB,Falo & Gilliam OLB (3-3-5)
Safety Lagunda/Bell Seasoned crew W/ White, TT as backups
CB Whitherspoon,Awuzie nickle

Huh? TT was one of our best players all year and was just in his 2nd year.

It will be interesting to see who lost out regarding Center, Miami or us.

With Shaver making the move to LB, I guess he's in the Brady Daigh role this year. Very worrisome is that he could end up starting at ILB if Gillam isn't back to health.

He could end up starting at ILB if Gillam is back to health, I suspect they will be on the field at the same time in that case.

Last edited:
He could end up starting at ILB if Gillam isn't back to health, I suspect they will be on the field at the same time in that case.

I agree I'm not to worried about Shaver starting if the boys up front do their jobs there should be more than one guy making the tackle. Shaver is bigger than Gillam and looks like he can carry the weight all season. From what I've seen from HCMM I the best guy always plays that's all I want I don care who it is. I am guessing your right about Shaver in the Daigh roll so hopefully our DEs are so good Shaver had to move to sniff the field

Am I mis-remembering on this one (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)... but didn't Henington decide to become a vegetarian last year? It's damn near impossible to pack on muscle mass and bulk with a vegetarian diet. If I remember correctly, that's a big factor that played into him deciding to slim down to DE despite coaches' wishes that he play on the interior.

Based on that and his lingering injury issues (non-participant this spring after missing last season), I've got Henington pegged as a guy who will graduate and move on from college/football as soon as he can.

He lost a ton of weight for sure, but not certain. If he's vegetarian and not vegan, I can tell you that he can get every bit of protein and other dietary things he needs from being a vegetarian. Vegan is different. You can't eat anything that has been produced by an animal so eggs, dairy, etc. is off the tables. You get more from beans protein wise than you will of a gross slab of beef.

Daigh was a better player than Gillam last year. Only fault was he wasn't sideline to sideline. Gillam overpursued and got ate up in traffic.

He lost a ton of weight for sure, but not certain. If he's vegetarian and not vegan, I can tell you that he can get every bit of protein and other dietary things he needs from being a vegetarian. Vegan is different. You can't eat anything that has been produced by an animal so eggs, dairy, etc. is off the tables. You get more from beans protein wise than you will of a gross slab of beef.

Prince Fielder is the first 'big' vegetarian athlete that comes to my mind.

Prince Fielder is the first 'big' vegetarian athlete that comes to my mind.

Arian Foster was very outspoken about being a Vegan for a while. I think he has since said that he isn't strictly Vegan anymore, but that he does limit his intake of animal products.

There are plenty of ways to maintain and even gain good weight if you're a vegetarian. It's not the easiest thing in the world but it's all about when, what and how often you eat. Keep your diet high in protein (a lot of protein sources that don't include meat) and complex carbs, and eat large portions 5-6 times/day and it's not impossible.

With that said, it sounds awful!

I'm not knocking vegetarianism, but: False.

100 grams of lean beef has 36 grams of protein, whereas 100 grams of kidney beans (probably the bean with the most protein) only has 17 grams of protein.

100 grams of lean beef has 36 grams of protein, whereas 100 grams of kidney beans (probably the bean with the most protein) only has 17 grams of protein.

I think the point Digger was making is that you can still get the necessary protein to build and maintain muscle mass from a vegetarian diet. The actual amount of food intake may need to be increased (200 grams of kidney beans, instead of 100 grams of steak for example) to get the same amount, but it is very doable.

You chose one of least amount and cost of 100 g of protein compared to 100 grams of lean meat would make me say go beans. Farva beans, lentils and black beans all have 20-26.

I am not knocking meat either. I am a chicken/seafood guy that rarely eats cow/pork. Just other options outside of meat that I think people completely overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically what I'm hearing is that it can be done... if you spend a good portion of your day meal planning to get complete proteins and then constantly eating. Much more efficient to mix in some grilled chicken and a can of tuna. And we're just talking about protein. It's damn hard to get the fats you need in your diet for building mass. Much better to get the extra calories there than from carbs.

Basically what I'm hearing is that it can be done... if you spend a good portion of your day meal planning to get complete proteins and then constantly eating. Much more efficient to mix in some grilled chicken and a can of tuna. And we're just talking about protein. It's damn hard to get the fats you need in your diet for building mass. Much better to get the extra calories there than from carbs.

There are plenty of good options for calories. You can eat avocados, olive oil and dark chocolate. Nuts also are high in protein and calories. Don't have to constantly eat either.

You can put on mass quickly without eating things that don't provide additional benefits.

In regards to the topic, if Tedric Thompson and Jered Bell are healthy all season or most of it, we are going to be causing some fits and our team may just get to that double digit mark in INTs which would be the difference we need on defense with that pass rush and run stop. Okay everything needs to get better as pointed out from all of our arm chair insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You chose one of least amount and cost of 100 g of protein compared to 100 grams of lean meat would make me say go beans. Farva beans, lentils and black beans all have 20-26.

I am not knocking meat either. I am a chicken/seafood guy that rarely eats cow/pork. Just other options outside of meat that I think people completely overlook.

You don't dig on swine??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zJSgHDnpw

Last edited:

Wrong on so many levels! Humans are omnivores. Current vegetarian/vegan mindset comes from a hundred years of really bad dietary advice.

Beans can't provide the necessary saturated fats ahuman body demands for a full range of activities. You want early Alzheimers and bad joints? Ignore meat.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Buddhists, Hare Krishna and their ilk are veg-heads. Its because they couldn't/can't get meat historicall, or refuse to eat anything they think has a soul. They better ignore the science news, botanists have discovered plants move away from threatening features in their environment and cry out in their own way when in pain or suffering from attack---as aware beings, plants now shown to have "soul".

Guess its now down to mud, small rocks and naturally-dead sticks for true veg-heads.

Wrong on so many levels! Humans are omnivores. Current vegetarian/vegan mindset comes from a hundred years of really bad dietary advice.

Beans can't provide the necessary saturated fats ahuman body demands for a full range of activities. You want early Alzheimers and bad joints? Ignore meat.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Buddhists, Hare Krishna and their ilk are veg-heads. Its because they couldn't/can't get meat historicall, or refuse to eat anything they think has a soul. They better ignore the science news, botanists have discovered plants move away from threatening features in their environment and cry out in their own way when in pain or suffering from attack---as aware beings, plants now shown to have "soul".

Guess its now down to mud, small rocks and naturally-dead sticks for true veg-heads.
And tv personalities. And surveyor.

This is not the religion forum (fyi, you mischaracterized Buddhism in pretty much everything you posted). And while I agree with you about humans being omnivores and that being important during our growth years, once we've reached maturity it's very questionable that meat is necessary or desirable. Regarding Alzheimer's Disease, read this. There's some other literature about the need for some saturated fats in the diet, so mixing in a little dairy is important for a vegetarian. You don't want to go vegan. This also applies to joint diseases with the need for some saturated fats. There is also data showing that vegetarianism is better for your joint health (just get those omega-3s and other fatty acids).

If I was going to make a commitment to being as healthy as possible, I'd go back to being almost completely vegetarian, cut out all processed foods (especially processed carbs), mix in a serving of fish or omega-3 eggs about every day, and drink nothing but water or booze. The only thing that has ever been proved to correlate with longevity is a lower calorie diet and most health problems are associated with being overweight. However, that is not the diet that I would recommend for someone trying to be a 270-300 lb D1 defensive lineman.

Honestly, I just want the team to win. I don't really care who needs to breakout to do so. I will applaud them if and when their breakout performance is occurring. I know...Debbie Downer.

Oh yeah, and in the immortal words of John Travolta and BP - "Bacon tastes good."

Back