1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bronco Mendenhall?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffInDC, Nov 20, 2009.

1. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

Not sure if people here would be interested if Colorado hired him since hes a mormon, and pretty much looks to be at BYU for a long time.

Hes recruited well at BYU, he only has BCS experience with Oregon State in the 90's but hes able to recruit the West extremely well and has been able to specifically target the polynesian recruits out of Utah, California, and Hawaii. He also recruits a high level of student-athlete that you rarely see involved in any negative incidents.

In terms of coaching, Bronco has had BYU among the top offensive teams in the country for several years mixing a good passing game with a power running game.

What Bronco has done at BYU bringing the program back is far past the level of what Hawkins maintained at Boise State.

2. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

Im not even sure if he'd even listen to Bohn, he has come across as being extremely loyal to BYU for his opportunity and Im sure there are some huge perks being the HC at BYU.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

On the Mormon thing, I couldn't care less. If he wins, for all I care our next coach can be a Scientologist that makes out with Tom Cruise at midfield to celebrate victories.

Mendenhall would be awesome, but I'd be very surprised if he left BYU.

4. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Beach Bronco?

Bronco Buff?

Bronco Mendenhall?

5. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

:wow:
    Wouldn't you think that would hurt recruiting? Unless our next HC is Katie Holmes, now I would approve.:thumbsup:

Can BYU match any offer Bohn makes? I think they could.

But I dont think a coach has ever left BYU for another job, apparently LaVell Edwards turned down the Texas job in 84' but Im sure he probably got a lot of other big time offers.

6. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

I think CU would be hard pressed to pry him out of Provo. Bronco has a fantastic recruiting class coming in next season and as has been discussed I think BYU could match any offer he might get from CU.

7. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Good coach, less likely to come here than Shanny I think.

8. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

I think you are talking $2 million plus a season to get any of the Big 3 out of the MTN West right now (Mendenhall, Whittingham, Patterson). In fact, I think Patterson pulled in $1.8 million this season which I am pretty sure is tops in the league.

Honestly, I think CU is in a situation now, given how badly the Hawkins hiring has played out, they are going to have difficulty attracting one of those top-tier non-bcs coaches. Why leave a program like BYU, Utah, or TCU when you are annually in the BCS discussion to move to a conference where you are having to compete with Texas, OU, among others for resources and recruits? The BCS system has tilted the advantages so much in favor of the "power programs" it is getting harder and harder to compete.

I really think CU will be going the assistant route, either college or NFL.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

Good post.

10. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

I'd rather get Bronko Nagurski

11. IDBUFF

IDBUFF Active Member

A mormon coach in Boulder??? Heaven help that poor guy - no way he would take on that situation when among his homies in Provo.

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Sort of like a rabid evangelist right? No chance.

13. Razorbuff

Razorbuff Member

Don't think he is Mormon. He is originally an Oregon State guy.

14. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

Mendenhall is a mormom.

His sons have awesome names btw:Cutter,Breaker,and Raeder.

15. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Appears to be a good hire, but let's avoid people named Bronco because we have a track record of getting poor returns on our hires of guys with fitting Colorado-related names. See: Denver Johnson.

16. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i don't think he'd leave byu, but it isn't right to suggest that some of these better non-bcs coaches won't listen at least to CU.

the b12 north is crap. either the fuskers or the Buffs should own it, every year. this means that you are in the b12 championship game many years with a shot at a bcs bowl in each such year. and, if you catch a wave, you can win it all, which is nearly impossible at non-bcs schools.

17. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Dude - you have finally snapped.

18. BuffInDC

BuffInDC New Member

Its fair to suggest it, but you have to look at this situation he'd be coming into from what hes leaving along with the financial factors.

If our next coach's salary will start off at $2 Million per year, then it will definetly open up some doors we think are closed currently.