1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broncos impact on CU

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, May 12, 2012.

?

Broncos Impact on Buffs?

1. Better for Buffs if the Broncos contend

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Better for Buffs if the Broncos arent in the hunt

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Doesn't matter either way

53 vote(s)
    74.6%
  1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Do you think it's better for CU if the Broncos are a contender or if there's not much excitement around them? Or does it not matter?

Obviously, they dominate the sports media in the Denver metro regardless.

So is there a positive bump for CU when the Broncos are contenders and it makes the casual sports fans in the area more tuned into football?

Or does Broncos mania get to the point where it drowns out CU no matter how well we're doing?

Or, maybe, we're neither riding their coattails nor losing media attention... and we're separate animals entirely?

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

2. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

Would be nice for CU to produce the next Elway who leads the Broncos to multiple Superbowls. That would be the best for CU.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

If the Buffs were ever good when the Broncos were also sucking, then that would probably be a positive for CU

4. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Better for CU for CU to be good...

5. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

The lover affair with the Broncs is so strong in Denver there is no more love for the Buffs in either scenario. I agree with the rest I've read so far the Buffs need to be a sustained winner....the need to become a traditional power. They also they need to be promoted more effectively to potential fans

6. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

I love the Buffs on Saturday and watch the Broncos on SUnday.

At work, we talk college footaball and the Buffs all week. The Bronco hangover lasts one day ( Monday)

7. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

Doesn't matter either way. I love the Buffs and have always been a huge fan of the Broncos, but the reality is that no matter what, Broncos will always dominate the media coverage. If they stink, that's all that is talked about. If they are great, that's all that is talked about. Only way for CU to get more positive impact is to start winning big.

8. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The donks appeal to the Joe sixpack, the conservative farmer, plumber, and construction worker. The broncos also appeal to the corporate salesperson hoping to impress a client. The broncos appeal accross a broad ethnic demographic of North Denver, Aurora, Thornton, Brighton, and the southern metro suburbs of arapahoe and Douglas counties. High School dropouts, or people with only GEDs or high school diplomas or community college degrees find the Broncos accessible.

The city of Boulder is not readily accessible to the broad social fabric of the Denver metro area. Boulder has elite prices, attracts out of state affluent people, and displays progressive ideas that do not have universal appeal. The CU football team is a symbol of that exclusive club.

Of course there are exceptions when speaking so broadly. But CU football and Broncos football appeal to different fan bases on social perception.

The best way for CU to bridge that gap is by winning, because everyone likes to cheer on a winner.

9. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

:yeahthat: nailed it.

10. Buffnik

One thing your post brings to mind is how important amenities are to the stadium. Beyond winning, if the gameday atmosphere (scoreboards, sound system, seats with chairbacks & cup holders, decent food, nice bathrooms, etc.) is raised to a certain level, CU games become much more appropriate for bringing a business client. Right now, unless we're talking about a huge sports fan or you're springing for Club Level, what you're offering with the game experience is sitting on a bleacher seat with no access to alcohol and telling the person to pee in a troth... all to likely watch a loss.

This stadium improvement plan is so important. I just hope that it goes far enough.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Ding ding ding.

Give this man a prize!:wink2:

12. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I've noticed there's not a big overlap between NFL and NCAA football fans, at least in my little world. Nothing could make care about the NFL like I do college ball, and visa versa.

13. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Having seat backs with drink holders in sections 104 - 107 would likely be well received by the blue hairs, parents with young ones and the closterphobic.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to consider relooking at the spacing between seats as part of any expansion. Maybe pull a pair of seats out of each row to give some more elbow room.

I've brought some guests that didn't like the pressed flesh that is common on folsom bleachers around my seats. They ended up moving farther from the mosh.

Apparently the space allotted for each ticketholder doesn't comfortably accommodate a bunch of fat asses sitting in the same row.

14. Buffnik

It's not just the "blue hairs" in 4 sections of the stadium. Every single section would be a better experience and more valuable if there were chairbacks and cupholders. You don't lose much seating with the new designs either. I agree that you could narrow the aisles, too.

The only place I'd leave bleacher seating is the student section. Maybe GA for the upper decks too (for now).

15. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I think it's pretty much a wash, but I don't see how a successful Broncos team could be a negative for recruiting. Do we ever get pro athletes on the sidelines? Wouldn't that enhance recruitss and players' expereinces?

16. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Doesn't make a difference, unless we're talking moving the Broncos to another city out of state:devil:

17. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Buffs got a lot of coverage during the late 80's and mid 90's run.

18. RK

RK UBL Club Member

The new GB²= Go Buffs and Go Broncos

19. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

There is enough love in the heart of true football fans for both....I love Buffs and Broncos

20. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Doesn't matter how the Broncos do. Junc was actually right, the most important thing for CU is to start winning.

21. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Dude, I lived in Boulder, and up and down the Front Range. Boulder, and the majority of Colorado is built with so many different people from different places that any sense of a home grown culture has been diluted. CU football is a symbol of nothing to Boulder and the rest of the state of Colorado, except for the alumni that have remained in the state, and those like me who attended CU but are still fans although we now live out of state. The only way CU gets more attention is to win big, like back in the gravy Mac years.

22. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

This.

CFB tends to appeal to people with a local sense of pride whether they be alumni, related to alumni or people that enjoy a game they can afford over the NFL and their sterile stadiums. The NFL appeals to everyone because they are in major cities and are on local (non cable) tv. You can't watch the Buffs throughout local stations all throughout Colorado like you can the Broncos. A lot of the people I work with are die hard football fans. However, I've never really met anyone that's devoted to both college and the NFL. A lot of fans are die hards of one are casual fans of the other though.