What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: Shay’s big day leads CU Buffs in win

RSSBot

News Junkie
BOULDER – Coming into Saturday only three Colorado Buffaloes receivers had ever grabbed three touchdown receptions in a game.

But on this sublime Saturday in Boulder, another receiver would join the list that Richard Johnson, Rae Carruth and Nelson Spruce were already on.

And he did it in one half.

During the Buffs’ clobbering of the Oregon State Beavers, Shay Fields would not only have three touchdown receptions but he added 169 receiving yards. His monster day earned him some national attention, but more importantly it proved Fields was next in line of the long lineage of Colorado receivers.

Despite the Colorado offense producing a sluggish start to that half with a three-and-out, the next three possessions were something else. Thanks to Fields.

“After the first drive we saw some things that we could take advantage of,” Fields said. “I talked to Coach Chiaverini, Coach Lindgren and we called some plays that worked.”

The Junior from Los Angeles started the scoring for the Buffaloes with a 51-yard touchdown reception. He broke free from Oregon State safety Devin Chappell with his swiftness and agility. Quarterback Steven Montez was able to throw a high-launching bullet right into the hands of Fields who came down with it and jogged the final ten yards into the end zone.

“The tempo,” Fields described. “The tempo that we practice is nothing that you can practice against our coaches say. We started off a little slow but once we got going, it really hard to stop the tempo, especially in altitude.”

After scoring on their second drive, the Buffs would score on each drive that followed in the first half, with four straight touchdowns. Three of which came from that Montez to Fields connection.

“It just came in the offseason,” remarks Fields. “We just worked different routes, different ways to get open, and different ways to disturb the defensive back’s mindset. It just happens with the play calling, I just happen to be open, and he gives me the ball.”

The Buffaloes we’re grooving after that first drive. A terrifying defense combined with an electric offense.

The highlight of the day came when Fields busted wide receiver screen for 63 yards. “Big Play Shay’s” speed and acceleration turned what was just a simple dumped ball from Montez into a touchdown. A key block from Devin Ross led Fields to daylight on the edge right in front of the Colorado sideline. No Oregon State Beaver had any chance of getting to Fields once he noticed the opening. Fields became the roadrunner and the Oregon State secondary would turn into Wile E. Coyotes. Colorado was up 20-3 at that point in the second quarter.

“It’s awesome,” mentioned Montez. “I just give him a decent ball and he just goes out there and makes amazing plays, all our receivers do. He goes absolutely loose on a little five-yard fish route, easy throw for me, and he just turned it into a highlight reel play.”

Fields, who is part of a receiving corps with plenty of depth, has taken the headline act this week. Showing that this high-octane offense has firepower from its wideouts on a weekly basis.

“Every game is gonna be somebody else’s turn,” Fields said. “Luckily it was my turn, maybe it’s Devin Ross’ turn next game.”

Drew Sharek
Continue reading...

Back