What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: Without Winfree, Buffs offense looking to Fields and Bobo

RSSBot

News Junkie
BOULDER – With fall camp over and only four days until the annual Rocky Mountain Showdown, Mike MacIntyre and his Colorado Buffaloes are looking for wide receivers to step up in place of the injured Juwann Winfree.

Winfree, recent transfer from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College, will miss the upcoming 2016 season and undergo knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, an injury that occurred during practice earlier this month. Winfree was expected to be a huge contributor for the offense and was a prized recruit for the Buffs and position coach Darrin Chiaverini. Luckily for MacIntyre, Chiaverini, and Co-Offensive Coordinator Brian Lindgren, there are other names in the WR corps able to step up.

“What is great about the receiver group is that they are really close. It’s like family in that room and everybody feels for Juwann,” Chiaverini, who runs the offense with Lindgren, said. “We all know how hard he has worked but the whole group has worked hard and it’s on the group to pick him up and we are doing that.”

One of the names in that group is Bryce Bobo, who is looking to finally capitalize on the flashes of potential he’s shown throughout his career.

“Bobo has been having the best camp he’s ever had since I’ve been here,” MacIntyre said. “He is in better shape coming into camp. He is stronger and he’s more powerful.”

Bobo has scored three touchdowns and has caught 47 passes for 422 yards throughout his career at CU. However, those three touchdowns came from his redshirt freshman year in 2014. The coaches have seen a change in Bobo not only with his added strength but with his mentality and maturity.

“I really think it has just been his mindset,” Chiaverini described. “I don’t think it’s anything from a technique stand point. I think he has all the ability in the world but now he has the mindset that he wants to compete every day and when you have that mindset, good things are going to happen.”

Chiaverini recently mentioned that the Colorado Buffaloes always refer back to their core values, attitude and effort. That is why Bobo is looking to have a huge season in 2016. Despite switching between receiver and a temporary stretch practicing at defensive back, Bobo’s attitude has remained positive and, reportedly, he’s continued to show great effort during practices. His fellow teammates see it as well.

“I think he’s a great player and I think he is going to bring mismatches for the defense. I feel like Bryce will do well on the other side,” said junior Shay Fields, the team’s returning leader in catches and receiving yards.

Fields is working on being a number one receiver in his own right. Playing alongside Nelson Spruce last year he proved he was an efficient route runner. With Spruce making his way in the NFL, Fields is left with the pressure of taking on that role. A role that increased again when Winfree went down. Chiaverini believes Fields is capable of being a Pac-12 number one receiver.

“Shay has really turned the corner. He’s been a little bit inconsistent at times, but he’s got the ability to be a top-notch Pac-12 receiver. He’s taken the next step,” said Chiaverini, who won three bowl games as a wide receiver while at school in Boulder.

Fields believes that if other teams are putting that type of pressure on him, it will allow other players to make necessary plays for the Buffs.

“I feel like if they do put pressure or key in on me then other guys have room to make plays. Bryce on the other side, I trust him enough to make sure that he is going to make the play,” said Fields.

This trust and confidence in each other to execute plays and get things going should help the Buffs move forward throughout the season.

Although Bobo and Fields are looking to step up in the absence of Winfree and both have shown that they are more than capable of doing so, we will not know who will officially take those spots until game day later this week.

As MacIntyre has constantly said since the Buffs began camp earlier this month, it’s time for his team to prove what they’ve got when the lights are on.

Allie Monroy
Continue reading...

Back