What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buff Bus for sale - Absolutely Unique opportunity (from Rivals)

FWIW, he dropped it down to 15K and said he will consider any serious offers.

This is his challenge - limited Market for his vehicle. Someone would have to be a big Buff Fan, have a tailgating spot, and have the dough to plop down on buying and maintaining it. Getting down to a very small number of potential buyers.

can a stripper pole be added?

we need to answer this question before any purchase is made.

He's been with so many. All the faces look the same.

Semper Gumby

Ann Coulter, Sarah Jessica Parker, and a horse all wall into a bar....

....everybody knows the bartender is going to ask about the long faces.

Small market for this kind of thing like others have said, if CU were doing better in football I'm sure there would be more interest in it. If I had all the money in the world, I would be interested but I don't think too many can afford this luxury.

Small market for this kind of thing like others have said, if CU were doing better in football I'm sure there would be more interest in it. If I had all the money in the world, I would be interested but I don't think too many can afford this luxury.

The other difficult thing is that a vehicle like this is very personal. If I had the extra cash to justify a Buff tailgate vehicle, I'd also want to design & customize it rather than buying someone else's baby. Not everyone would be like me on that, but I think enough are to shrink an already miniscule market.

Good point. A friend at VT built a Hokie-themed Jeep Wrangler from the ground up (all orange and maroon and chrome, played the fight song when you honked, Hokie Bird decal on the hood). His pleasure was talking to people at the tailgates about the design, customization and the work itself, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun if all he had to say to other fans was "yeah, got it for $10k off a guy who had kids and let his family life interfere with sports".

The other difficult thing is that a vehicle like this is very personal. If I had the extra cash to justify a Buff tailgate vehicle, I'd also want to design & customize it rather than buying someone else's baby. Not everyone would be like me on that, but I think enough are to shrink an already miniscule market.

Good point. A friend at VT built a Hokie-themed Jeep Wrangler from the ground up (all orange and maroon and chrome, played the fight song when you honked, Hokie Bird decal on the hood). His pleasure was talking to people at the tailgates about the design, customization and the work itself, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun if all he had to say to other fans was "yeah, got it for $10k off a guy who had kids and let his family life interfere with sports".
A bit OT here, but how do you think the new AD will affect Beamer at VT?

carefully. second order of business is creating a succession plan for Beamer (first order is "fix the basketball problem"). Babcock needs to create the succession plan without pissing off Beamer and the current fan base which, in general, is very loyal to Frank. I think this is key for purposes of keeping booster donations coming in as well as for recruiting. I think FSU created the model for how to do it, although they definitely caused some booster anxiety over Bowden's perceived forced departure. I don't think Bud Foster is the next guy, which means it's a tougher situation for VT than the Seminole's transition from Bowden to Fisher.

Way off topic, but I'm not the biggest Frank Beamer fan in the world. I fully respect and appreciate that he took VT football from irrelevance (I moved to Blacksburg and started attending VT games in 1984) to conference championship winner and BCS championship contender. He did this without any major NCAA scandal and that shouldn't be underestimated -- huge f**king accomplishment. He recruited Michael Vick (yes, the assistants helped). He coached teams to four ACC championships and 3 Big East championships (the countless 10 win seasons built on weak non-conference schedules don't impress me any more than bowl appearances by 7-5 teams).

However, after reaching the BCSCG in 1999, VT never returned to anywhere near that level of prominence. For the last 12+ years, Beamer has been one of the top 10 paid coaches in the game but I don't feel he's done one of the top 10 jobs coaching in football, from either a recruiting, game planning or player development perspective. I'm not a believer in tenure as a principal and, from my uneducated "fan boy" perspective, he's been riding his laurels and overly dependent/loyal to his assistants. All of this is subjective and I don't pretend to be an expert in college football, but I offer VT's decline in special teams, once known as Beamer's calling card, as pretty fair evidence. That, and his bowl win record is miserable: Beamer made public comments in the past about how he felt that making it to a bowl was the team's reword -- I always felt the bowl system was being destroyed in part because of coaches with that attitude (I'm strongly opposed to the playoff system and have been referring to this past season as the 'last year before they ruined college football', but that's even further off topic).

more than you asked for, I'm sure. sorry for the rant, sorry for participating in the thread hijacking. 207 days until college football.

carefully. second order of business is creating a succession plan for Beamer (first order is "fix the basketball problem"). Babcock needs to create the succession plan without pissing off Beamer and the current fan base which, in general, is very loyal to Frank. I think this is key for purposes of keeping booster donations coming in as well as for recruiting. I think FSU created the model for how to do it, although they definitely caused some booster anxiety over Bowden's perceived forced departure. I don't think Bud Foster is the next guy, which means it's a tougher situation for VT than the Seminole's transition from Bowden to Fisher.

Way off topic, but I'm not the biggest Frank Beamer fan in the world. I fully respect and appreciate that he took VT football from irrelevance (I moved to Blacksburg and started attending VT games in 1984) to conference championship winner and BCS championship contender. He did this without any major NCAA scandal and that shouldn't be underestimated -- huge f**king accomplishment. He recruited Michael Vick (yes, the assistants helped). He coached teams to four ACC championships and 3 Big East championships (the countless 10 win seasons built on weak non-conference schedules don't impress me any more than bowl appearances by 7-5 teams).

However, after reaching the BCSCG in 1999, VT never returned to anywhere near that level of prominence. For the last 12+ years, Beamer has been one of the top 10 paid coaches in the game but I don't feel he's done one of the top 10 jobs coaching in football, from either a recruiting, game planning or player development perspective. I'm not a believer in tenure as a principal and, from my uneducated "fan boy" perspective, he's been riding his laurels and overly dependent/loyal to his assistants. All of this is subjective and I don't pretend to be an expert in college football, but I offer VT's decline in special teams, once known as Beamer's calling card, as pretty fair evidence. That, and his bowl win record is miserable: Beamer made public comments in the past about how he felt that making it to a bowl was the team's reword -- I always felt the bowl system was being destroyed in part because of coaches with that attitude (I'm strongly opposed to the playoff system and have been referring to this past season as the 'last year before they ruined college football', but that's even further off topic).

more than you asked for, I'm sure. sorry for the rant, sorry for participating in the thread hijacking. 207 days until college football.
Interesting perspective, certainly not the answer I was thinking I'd hear but nonetheless, quite refreshing to hear a different POV on Beamer. I'm a Terps fan so I noticed what you were talking about in terms of the "calling card" in that game. Obviously the biggest Terps win in a long time and I think it's fair to say even for this VT squad, was one of their worst games. I've always respected Beamer and what he means to VT and how he's built the program from close to nothing.

In general, I'm not a big fan of tenure also. I do think Beamer is a special case because of the aforementioned building that program up. In terms of the bowl record, sure you'd rather win than lose but other than the BCS CG, they're glorified exhibitions, but the BCS games and some others carry some prestige atleast. Personally, I don't like how many bowl games there are (a separate matter indeed) and while I'm in favor of the playoff, I don't want to see it further expanded. Best regular season in all of sports is cfb, last thing I want to see is teams with 3 losses (or more) playing for the NCG, even two is a bit much (but that's already happened)

I'd love to make it to Blacksburg one of theses days for a game. Enjoyed reading your thoughts.

This is exactly my thought.

Paint it red and sell it to a fusker for double the price. Use water soluble paint so that in the first rainstorm it reverts back to decency.

Maybe he sold it. The listing has been deleted. I was just getting ready to offer $12500! Dodged another bullet.

Yep, it's sold. We bought it from Marshall last weekend. The pictures of the inside were misleading as it's actually very clean and not beat up at all. I get the thoughts expressed that you'd rather start fresh and customize yourself, but we'd have done many of the same things that he did and would have spent more than we paid to do it (we didn't pay $15k). Now we can take what he started and put in additional customizations. Anyway, it's staying in the Buff family and you'll see it at every home game (and maybe a few road ones). We've been tailgating in a standard older RV for the last few years, so we're excited to be stepping it up to a dedicated vehicle.

Yep, it's sold. We bought it from Marshall last weekend. The pictures of the inside were misleading as it's actually very clean and not beat up at all. I get the thoughts expressed that you'd rather start fresh and customize yourself, but we'd have done many of the same things that he did and would have spent more than we paid to do it (we didn't pay $15k). Now we can take what he started and put in additional customizations. Anyway, it's staying in the Buff family and you'll see it at every home game (and maybe a few road ones). We've been tailgating in a standard older RV for the last few years, so we're excited to be stepping it up to a dedicated vehicle.

NOICE!

Good for you! enjoy the hell out of it.

entirely reppable.

Terrific news. Congratulations. It's a really cool ride. Too bad we'll miss it at our lot next year.

Hokie, I really respect your posts and insight, but I have to disagree with you here. I've been around since the start of Beamer and seen it all. Frank Beamer is Virginia Tech. He has put VT on the map in a way that was unfathomable. As you know, this was a Metro Conference school and it was only in 2000 that the Hokies were able to even get out of the Atlantic 10. Granted, football was Big East since 91 but Beamer is the reason VT is now on solid ground in the ACC instead of being another East Carolina or Colorado State. VT's incredible ascendance academically is due to Beamer putting the school on the map. Few outside of VA had even heard of the school. Landing Vick was the perfect storm, due in large part to UVA and UNC fighting for Ronald Curry (who was viewed as far better than Vick). Whether Beamer truly sensed what Vick would become, we'll never know, but even at that point a decade into his tenure he was still building and UVA was still the top dog in the state with very good teams under George Welsh.

Vick created the perception amongst Hokie fans that VT was due for a national championship. I just don't see that as reality. Vick was your chance and you came damn close, but didn't quite get it. Until another once in a lifetime QB comes to Blacksburg, that natty won't happen. Being a consistent top 20 program was the best to realistically hope for and he carried that out for over a decade post Vick and you were in the national title discussion into November multiple times. Virginia as a state produces a hell of a lot of talent, but VT has to share the spoils with UVA. If Virginia only had one major school like Louisiana or Arkansas you'd damn well better believe that school would be a top 10 program with a few national championships.

I know the last couple seasons have been frustrating by recent Hokie standards Beamer created himself, but be mighty careful what you wish for in accelerating his departure. Beamer isn't perfect and he's made his mistakes, but he'll go when the time is right. He's that personality. Beamer is Virginia Tech football and really is Virginia Tech as a whole. Whoever replaces him has some gigantic shoes to fill, and the day will inevitably come when Hokies are wishing for a textbook 10 win Beamer season that used to be complained about because a superior SEC school beat you OOC and FSU or Miami beat you in conference play. It's nearing the end of the Beamer era, enjoy every last second of it. I remember quite a few Hoos complaining about Welsh's 8 and 9 win seasons at the time who would give a whole lot to return to that sustained success, and the same goes for many seasons here at CU that we used to view as a bit disappointing not knowing how far you truly can slide into oblivion.

Back