What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffalo Heart Proposal

Uncle Ken

Smoke Chedda tha Ass Getta
Club Member
First off, I don't want to disrespect the founders' intent for this award. I'm just throwing this out there as an idea, and if it's a bad one, I respect the feedback and will shamefully stand in the corner while you guys throw 96's at me, as necessary.

But...

What if the award was given to the entire senior class, and renamed the "Sefo Liufau Buffalo Heart Award"?

It makes sense to me.

Thoughts?

So, what was the history of the Buffalo Heart Award... I know it was started by a group seated behind the bench, but what year? Was Sal around then or had he already passed.

I wanted to acknowledge the class, because they committed to CU at a dark time, and stuck with it. And honestly when you have guys like Tedric, Awuzie...how do you decide? The accomplishment of this group is more about team, than individual contribution. Having said that, it's hard to ignore Sefo's toughness, commitment and leadership.

The 5th year seniors saw this program's darkest days in 2012 and stuck through it. UK's idea to award them is a good one for sure.

This class is special, but I think the award should remain as originally developed, to recognize grit, heart and toughness of a single player. I like that the award doesn't go to the best player on the team, or the guy most likely to do well in the NFL, but to the guy who shows the most heart. Like you said, tough not to reward the grit, heart and toughness that Sefo has shown this year (and frankly, his entire career with the Buffs). I used to think Moschetti was the toughest QB I had ever seen in black and gold, but Sefo has taken that to another level.

Well, I brought this consideration up in another thread. I do kind of like the idea of naming the award after Sefo. I believe he is the undisputed leader of a class and team that took CU from the depths of despair an on the path of long term success. His toughness from day one behind center to yesterday is unlike anything I have seen in a football uniform. If the award is for grit, determination and toughness, I see Sefo. (OBTW, I binged grit; determination and toughness and #13 was the first search result).

So, yeah, I think it would be appropriate to name the thing after Sefo. I however am quite a traditionalist, so would have no issue with leaving it just the way it is.

Perhaps there is a compromise though... The Buffalo Heart Award going to the Senior that displays the most grit, determination and toughness during the season... The Sefo Award going to the Senior that demonstrated the greatest grit, determination, toughness, perseverance, leadership, courage and commitment over his entire career. After all, that is what he has done and we will need others to strive to achieve those same qualities in the future.

How about the Allbuffs Iron Buffalo. Awarded to the fan favorite senior at the end of the season. Sefo has my vote

I wouldn't object to naming it for Sal but prefer that it simply remain the Buffalo Heart.

Sal died as a Buffalo so nobody is ever going to exceed that particular qualification.

Sefo may be the toughest individual we have seen as a Buff but remember that as stated in this thread some said that about Moschetti at one point. What happens if somebody comes along who somehow exceeds Sefo?

Respect to Unca Ken (is that even allowed?), but each winner of the BH award has had a unique set of conditions/circumstances which led to their being voted the award. I believe that naming the BH after a particular player - particularly a current player - is not appropriate.

Not to demean anything he has done, or in any way be critical of him, but Sefo is in such a good place with us right now, I think it skews our opinion of him. My vote would be to keep the award "nameless", and honor each new recipient in the same tradition as all of the great past winners.

How about the Allbuffs Iron Buffalo. Awarded to the fan favorite senior at the end of the season. Sefo has my vote

There's already an Iron Buffalo and quite a few other established awards. Many of them lapsed during the Water Bottle era, not sure if resurrected under MacIntyre.

History, fwiw.
http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_29116973/cu-football-spruce-takes-home-buffalo-heart-award
The Buffalo Heart Award was unearthed in 1998 by four friends and longtime Buffaloes fans (Pat Grimes, Craig Augustin, Thaddeus Cernac and Ashley Cernac). The group presented the initial award to former receiver Darrin Chiaverini.
Other former winners include safety Medford Moorer, linebacker Jordon Dizon and running backs Cortlen Johnson and Bobby Purify. Cornerback Greg Henderson won the award last season and safety Parker Orms in 2013. Players are able to take home the trophy representing the Buffalo Heart Award, because founders have assembled it for less than $75, which complies with NCAA rules.

I wouldn't object to naming it for Sal but prefer that it simply remain the Buffalo Heart.

Sal died as a Buffalo so nobody is ever going to exceed that particular qualification.

Sefo may be the toughest individual we have seen as a Buff but remember that as stated in this thread some said that about Moschetti at one point. What happens if somebody comes along who somehow exceeds Sefo?
Umm... Tiger.

Nobody has displayed the heart and toughness that Sefo has. Have to admit that when I watched Sefo go down with the lisfranc last year against the Trojans, I had two different thoughts--1) Better for the team, probably need a change at QB anyways, it'll give another QB (who's perhaps more suited for the role) to step up; 2) It would be one heck of a comeback if he came back from the injury and had time to reset. Dang I'm glad he proved my second thought true. That guy loves the Buffs man, loves football, and loves his teammates. If he doesn't win it, a superb rationale would be necessary for me to accept someone else as actually more deserving. No doubt this whole class deserves some love for sticking together through the past losing seasons, and each player's got his own story, but Sefo stands taller among them in this regard.

Back