What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffaloed...

Ordered the book on Amazon for $5 after hearing it mentioned on here a few times. While Plaskett may have some important points to make, his incessant need to make them in the same fashion has killed my excitement within the first 50 pages. I will slog through the rest in order to get the remainder of the details on the incident, but damn, he spends the majority of the book thumbing his nose at media personalities that he feels betrayed him. It's grating.

Ordered the book on Amazon for $5 after hearing it mentioned on here a few times. While Plaskett may have some important points to make, his incessant need to make them in the same fashion has killed my excitement within the first 50 pages. I will slog through the rest in order to get the remainder of the details on the incident, but damn, he spends the majority of the book thumbing his nose at media personalities that he feels betrayed him. It's grating.

Remember that Plaskett was forced to edit it himself as his publisher shied away after Keenan, Keer (and by proxy, Cindy Carlisle) threatened to sue the bejeezus out of the publisher if they published the book.

Ill find it, that way J and me won't have to deal with him mailing and my everything eating dog. Always looking for a good read. It'll probably pissed me off, it did at the time. I was the only voice in the 4 corners. I chewed out our local radio guy on the air, he didn't have much else to say but an email saying he didn't know the gist of it.

Remember that Plaskett was forced to edit it himself as his publisher shied away after Keenan, Keer (and by proxy, Cindy Carlisle) threatened to sue the bejeezus out of the publisher if they published the book.
It really surprises people when they find out how important good editors are, even for very talented writers. Often the difference between a good writer and a great writer is the skill of their editor, and a good editor can make a marginal author look good.

And when a good to average writer tries to perform without a net, well - Buffaloed is what you get.

It really surprises people when they find out how important good editors are, even for very talented writers. Often the difference between a good writer and a great writer is the skill of their editor, and a good editor can make a marginal author look good.

And when a good to average writer tries to perform without a net, well - Buffaloed is what you get.

Thanks guys, that puts things into perspective and makes a lot of sense. The narrative never really starts to flow due to Plaskett's insistence on circling back to the same points. To his credit, it does seem like Plaskett did a lot of research and was one of the few who actually took the time to get the football team's side of the scandal.

He tends to repeat himself over and over with slightly different wording for sure. CU had zero damage control, they should have hired their own PR firm like the Simpson team had and gone on the offensive to rebut the claims even with all the victim's advocate and NOW pressure on them. Instead, it was just either Hoffman's weak attempts or 'No Comment'.

I own the book and it is autographed by Gary Barnett. I have only read a little of the book. It pissed me off so much i had to stop.

just finished the book. capturing some quick thoughts.

• the comments about the book's poor editing are fair. I understand that Plasket didn't have professional editing resources, but dude really should've at least had a friend proof read it.
  • the writing style is reminiscent of a lot of journalists writing novels -- he bases the book around the sequence of the 2004 season, but jumps all over the place in time trying to report salient details of the scandal.
  • the part of the story about hiring of prostitutes was barely touched on, despite that being the only scandal-related charges that stuck.
  • reading references to games in the book that I've heard discussed on here was kind of neat, and me gave a better perspective in which to consider posts on those games and the scandal.
  • book gives a great perspective of how the CU administration had a knee-jerk reaction that would set the football program back a lot. I can't imagine the angst that a lot of you must have felt toward your alma mater with the series of bad decisions. and towards the city of Boulder and the media.
  • Plasket does a good job of highlighting the differences in coverage as the scandal progressed (dirty laundry gets front page headlines, DNA results exonerating players gets buried on the back of the sports section)
  • Plasket really had an axe to grind against his own profession -- you have to get past that to enjoy the book.
  • referring to Boulder as the "an unofficial underground mecca for the North American Man-Boy Love Association", without citing a reference, is a pretty tough allegation to throw out there. especially in a book whose central theme is about the media reporting unsubstantiated stories.
  • did the CUAD really distribute burnt orange pom-poms at Folsom before the home game vs Texas? how bitter were you guys that day?
  • the DA, Keenan, was really a piece of work. tangent, but in our system of checks and balances, whose supposed to over-seeing District Attorneys (somewhat embarrassed I don't know the answer)?
  • the conflict of interest regarding the regent who was married to Simson's lawyer was interesting -- surprised that didn't get more play

Every last one of them up there. Woody got in on the fun I'm pretty sure.

This and channel 9 was the worst. Quit watching 9News during the whole ordeal and have never gone back. It was awful across the board but they were relentless.

This and channel 9 was the worst. Quit watching 9News during the whole ordeal and have never gone back. It was awful across the board but they were relentless.

I was going to mention the TV dudes but I couldn't which was the worst. The whole thing produced the like Soicher, Lombardi and one other jackass whose name I can't remember. Also saw a lot of good sports casters become assholes too. I remember loving to watch Shapiro on Channel 4 when I was in school, and when I would come back to visit after the 'scandal" I couldn't stand him.

I was going to mention the TV dudes but I couldn't which was the worst. The whole thing produced the like Soicher, Lombardi and one other jackass whose name I can't remember. Also saw a lot of good sports casters become assholes too. I remember loving to watch Shapiro on Channel 4 when I was in school, and when I would come back to visit after the 'scandal" I couldn't stand him.
Driving me nuts. What was that douchebag's name? He was an "investigative reporter."

I read it when it came out. I had an e-mail exchange with Bruce afterwards. My take was a) he was disgusted by the witch hunt antics of his colleagues, leaving any integrity of their work at home as they rushed to, in his opinion, an unfair judgment and b) he was deeply offended at how his colleagues turned on him as one of the very few contrarians. That said, he needed an editor to help him avoid writing with so much personal angst.

EDIT: I still regard Bruce Plaskett as a great journalist, and one of the good guys.

Back from the dead

200.gif

Back