What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs complete 2015, 2016 schedules

So, you agree that our basketball recruiting has improved? Just want to make sure. Cause' yeah, Dom is a pretty good player.

I'm still not 100% sold on the 2013 class, though. I have high hopes that they'll all take a big step up this year. Maybe being on a team where they weren't asked to do too much kept them from showing a lot. I don't know. But we definitely need Fletcher, Hopkins and Thomas to step up big time. I still scratch my head on signing King. I don't know what Tad's thought process on that was.

He's a very raw but very athletic player with upside. He showed flashes earlier in the year.

So, you agree that our basketball recruiting has improved? Just want to make sure. Cause' yeah, Dom is a pretty good player.

I'm still not 100% sold on the 2013 class, though. I have high hopes that they'll all take a big step up this year. Maybe being on a team where they weren't asked to do too much kept them from showing a lot. I don't know. But we definitely need Fletcher, Hopkins and Thomas to step up big time. I still scratch my head on signing King. I don't know what Tad's thought process on that was.

Is 2 top 100 players not better than 1 in your wrld?

Is 2 top 100 players not better than 1 in your wrld?

Out of a class of 5 players versus a class of 2. Hard to say.

That 2012 class was damn good. 2 guys in the Top 100 and 1 in the Top 150 (Gordon).

Coming in for 2014, we've got a Top 100 and a Top 150 for a 2-person class.

The real question is whether the 2013 class was good enough. We had Fletch and J-Hop right around 100 with Dustin a guy who seemed to be a late find with other major programs after him. King absolutely blew up at the end of his AAU traveling opportunities and academically qualified late. Hard to know whether that was a risk worth taking. Definitely an athletic class. I just don't know if they're a class of nice role players or if any can step up and be "go to" guys.

Anyway, I'd say that our recruiting has reached a certain level and maintained it. We now need to keep that tourney streak alive and start making some noise in the Dance if we want to take it to the next level.

That 2012 class was damn good. 2 guys in the Top 100 and 1 in the Top 150 (Gordon).

The real question is whether the 2013 class was good enough. We had Fletch and J-Hop right around 100 with Dustin a guy who seemed to be a late find with other major programs after him. King absolutely blew up at the end of his AAU traveling opportunities and academically qualified late. Hard to know whether that was a risk worth taking. Definitely an athletic class. I just don't know if they're a class of nice role players or if any can step up and be "go to" guys.

Anyway, I'd say that our recruiting has reached a certain level and maintained it. We now need to keep that tourney streak alive and start making some noise in the Dance if we want to take it to the next level.

I think the judgement for the 2013 class comes this year....with inexperience, injury to Fletcher and the complications that came with Dinwiddie's injury it was hard to judge.....they need to improve and make impacts on this year's team so that the feeling for '15-16 will be on the up rise. Too many questions right now with the chance Scott goes pro.

My concern is the time span here...

Well, it took Bill M. several years post a winless season to get it done so I expect it will be a 4-5 year process starting this year. Get beyond a losing record for a couple of years in a row and things will be rolling upwards. Keep scheduling like we have been, and it is going to be more losing. Bottom line, we need to start by getting to a few bowl games and building a rep of annual success. Anyone who thinks this will be back to late 80's or the 90's in 2 years has lost it.

Here is my point. I don't think that anyone would argue that 2012 wasn't Tads best class. He did that after one dance, so what did repeat trips do for recruiting? Status quo at best and most likely worse than the 2012 class.

So back to the original question. Do repeated trips to the postseason help recruiting? I just dont see the evidence that shows it helped.

Here is my point. I don't think that anyone would argue that 2012 wasn't Tads best class. He did that after one dance, so what did repeat trips do for recruiting? Status quo at best and most likely worse than the 2012 class.

So back to the original question. Do repeated trips to the postseason help recruiting? I just dont see the evidence that shows it helped.

What would those classes look like if we weren't Dancing?

Maintaining results on the court has allowed Tad to maintain results in recruiting. That should turn into a better and deeper roster the next 2 years. Which should allow him to take it to the next level and hopefully maintain that.

I think as fans we sometime lose sight of how big the gap is between "good" and "elite".

In football, as good as we think Alabama or Ohio State or Oregon are... they're better. Target on the back every single week and they still rarely lose. Same goes for basketball with programs like Duke or Kentucky or Michigan State.

Spencer going down really hurt 2015 recruiting and the momentum, but saying that dancing doesn't help recruiting is absurd.

What would those classes look like if we weren't Dancing?

Maintaining results on the court has allowed Tad to maintain results in recruiting. That should turn into a better and deeper roster the next 2 years. Which should allow him to take it to the next level and hopefully maintain that.

I think as fans we sometime lose sight of how big the gap is between "good" and "elite".

In football, as good as we think Alabama or Ohio State or Oregon are... they're better. Target on the back every single week and they still rarely lose. Same goes for basketball with programs like Duke or Kentucky or Michigan State.

Well his third class looked like his first and that one was after a postseason stretch.

By first i mean his class (spencer, ski and cain)

Last edited:
"Recruit above your record"-Tad Boyle. That's how he said he turned around CU. But let's remember, that must only apply for basketball

Well his third class looked like his first and that one was after a postseason stretch.

By first i mean his class (spencer, ski and cain)

Regarding that class, there were 2 special things that year: NBA lottery pick and entering the Pac-12. We got a bump from that, for sure. Plus new facilities and a coach that had won right away.

And it wasn't a great class on paper.

I would say that having a guy go in the Lottery makes a big difference. Even a 1st round selection helps, so we need that tonight.

Regarding that class, there were 2 special things that year: NBA lottery pick and entering the Pac-12. We got a bump from that, for sure. Plus new facilities and a coach that had won right away.

And it wasn't a great class on paper.

I would say that having a guy go in the Lottery makes a big difference. Even a 1st round selection helps, so we need that tonight.

Didn't the lottery pick happen after they signed. And wasnt the Spencer, Ski and Cain class ranked about the same as Fletch, J hop and Thomas?

Didn't the lottery pick happen after they signed. And wasnt the Spencer, Ski and Cain class ranked about the same as Fletch, J hop and Thomas?

No. Alec went Lottery after Tad's first year while he was scrambling to find a front court in the late signing period (Dre & Mills - not bad, plus the Carlon transfer). The next season was the Dance & Pac-12 title year, but Spencer, Cain and Ski were all early period signees before that even happened iirc. I think Adams was in that group, too. Maybe Chen as a walk-on transfer.

The bump for our first Dance in over a decade was the class you singled out (Scott, XJ, Gordon, Jenkins, Talton, Stalzer). All early period except Stalzer. Following that was J-Hop, Dustin and Fletch plus King in the late period after Dre declared. Followed by Dom and Miller as our 2014 class before last season started.

No. Alec went Lottery after Tad's first year while he was scrambling to find a front court in the late signing period (Dre & Mills - not bad, plus the Carlon transfer). The next season was the Dance & Pac-12 title year, but Spencer, Cain and Ski were all early period signees before that even happened iirc. I think Adams was in that group, too. Maybe Chen as a walk-on transfer.

The bump for our first Dance in over a decade was the class you singled out (Scott, XJ, Gordon, Jenkins, Talton, Stalzer). All early period except Stalzer. Following that was J-Hop, Dustin and Fletch plus King in the late period after Dre declared. Followed by Dom and Miller as our 2014 class before last season started.

I think your dates are wrong. Spencer and ski were part of the pac 12 tourney win which means that they signed during Burks soph season and before he was drafted.

I think your dates are wrong. Spencer and ski were part of the pac 12 tourney win which means that they signed during Burks soph season and before he was drafted.

Let me try again.

Dre signed late and was with Alec 1 year. Carlon transfers in and sits during Alec's last year.

Mayor class signs in Fall.

Buffs make NIT Final 4 and Alec goes in Lottery.

Scott/XJ/Wes class signs in Fall.

Buffs win Pac-12 and advance to NCAA RD2 in Dre's soph season/ Mayor's frosh season.

J-Hop/Fletch/Dustin class signs in Fall.

Buffs earn bubble invite to NCAA tourney in Dre's junior season/ Mayor's soph season / Scott's frosh season.

Dre declares for draft and picked in 1st round while King is added to class.

Dom/Miller class signs in Fall.

Buffs earn another bubble invite to Dance in Mayor's junior season/ Scott's soph season/ Fletch's frosh season.

Mayor declares for draft. Picked ???.

Late signees??? Transfers??? Fall class???

I see this as the top reason why CU should not be scheduling the 'C' teams. I see re-creating/reinforcing the brand through playing football on TV as a key step in improving the Buff's profile/national perception. Even if we get our asses kicked, playing Michigan does more for the program than beating the snot out of Nichols State and UNC.

OTOH, I do think the argument about improving chances to get to 6 wins and bowl eligible as compelling, however. Playing in the bowls (on TV) and getting the extra practices is big, not only for recruiting but for maintaining fan interest.

Agree, SOS isn't really a consideration at this point.

Summary: it's in the best interest of the program to find balance in the non-conf schedule. 'Niks articulation of an A-B-C non conf schedule or A-B-B is close to my feelings. I'd leave FCS teams off the schedule altogether, with the exception of a UNC on a periodic basis. As a fan who enjoys attending college football games moreso than about anything else, my main emphasis is on maximizing the quality and quantity of games that I attend ==> a balance of home/home series with BCS teams and and home-only games with lower-tier opponents, meets my desires and the goals of the program. So, i'll bitch about Nichols State on the schedule (lowers quality), but it's one more game I get to attend next year than if the Buffs scheduled all BCS teams (improves quantity).

Agree 98%

Every time I see people saying we should get rid of FCS and and weakass opponents that we can beat in favor if getting thrashed by Alabama on national TV I always picture this seen from Dumb and Dumber:

"No, no, no, no, no Lloyd. No! I say we stay here, we hunt for jobs, and we keep saving our money for the worm store!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back