What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs Face Iowa State In NCAA 1st Round

I drove up to Minneapolis from the Dubuque area. OMG, it was cold up there. I got the the venue with a couple of points having already been played. Thought I was going to freeze getting from $10 parking garage to venue to go all the way around to buy a ticket.

It was worth freezing to get inside and see the Buffs beat Iowa State.

Unfortunately, my 89 year old mother has been ill this week and I got a call early Saturday morning that I needed to come home. I checked out of hotel and drove home. I didn't stick around for the Minnesota-Radford match. There were a ton of Minnesota fans there for our match and they were still coming when I left. It was one car left the parking garage and they let another one in.

We hadn't had bad roads yet and the roads around the campus were very slick. So were the sidewalks. I can no longer say we haven't had bad roads.

Wish I could have stayed for the 2nd match, but I got to see the Buffs beat Iowa State.

Iowa State had cheerleaders, a band and had taken buses of fans to Minneapolis. We had a tape of the Fight Song. It was embarrassing as we stood and sang the Fight Song when it was played. Way back in the Salina games, CU used to rent a high school band for the tournament. CU could at least have done that for the volleyball team.

I drove up to Minneapolis from the Dubuque area. OMG, it was cold up there. I got the the venue with a couple of points having already been played. Thought I was going to freeze getting from $10 parking garage to venue to go all the way around to buy a ticket.

It was worth freezing to get inside and see the Buffs beat Iowa State.

Unfortunately, my 89 year old mother has been ill this week and I got a call early Saturday morning that I needed to come home. I checked out of hotel and drove home. I didn't stick around for the Minnesota-Radford match. There were a ton of Minnesota fans there for our match and they were still coming when I left. It was one car left the parking garage and they let another one in.

We hadn't had bad roads yet and the roads around the campus were very slick. So were the sidewalks. I can no longer say we haven't had bad roads.

Wish I could have stayed for the 2nd match, but I got to see the Buffs beat Iowa State.

Iowa State had cheerleaders, a band and had taken buses of fans to Minneapolis. We had a tape of the Fight Song. It was embarrassing as we stood and sang the Fight Song when it was played. Way back in the Salina games, CU used to rent a high school band for the tournament. CU could at least have done that for the volleyball team.

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she is okay.

Sorry to "re-awaken" this thread but I was wondering, has anyone heard if Coach Kritza is signed for the coming year(s)?

I believe she started with a 5 year contract, and this was year 5 for her, but I don't know/ can't remember if she's already signed an extension or not.

Sorry to "re-awaken" this thread but I was wondering, has anyone heard if Coach Kritza is signed for the coming year(s)?

I believe she started with a 5 year contract, and this was year 5 for her, but I don't know/ can't remember if she's already signed an extension or not.

Pretty sure that Rick George has a decision to make.

What decision? Why is this even a discussion? Make the second round of the NCAA tournament, beat several ranked teams, the trajectory of the program is extremely positive, and there's some kind of decision to make? Whaaaa?

What decision? Why is this even a discussion? Make the second round of the NCAA tournament, beat several ranked teams, the trajectory of the program is extremely positive, and there's some kind of decision to make? Whaaaa?

Decision on contract market value & length, especially if George & Ceal aren't of an opinion that aligns with Kritza & Agent.

I don't think there's any doubt that CU would extend her a year with an incremental raise. But there are other decisions that need to be made in terms of the level and length of commitment.

The concern I have with the future of the VB program is the level of future recruiting. Kritza did great with the class of 2012 with setter Edelman and hitter Austin, both of whom were in the top 50 coming out of high school. This season she got Taylor Simpson as a junior transfer in. She was top 10 coming out of high school (and it showed in her level of play). But the 2 players signed for 2014 are maybe in the top 200 and the players verballed for 2015 might not even be that good. I'm concerned that the primary recruiter of the 2012 class was really assistant coach Tom Hogan who left the CU staff after the2011 season since he wanted to cut down his commute time from Colorado Springs and I think is now at DU.

Decision on contract market value & length, especially if George & Ceal aren't of an opinion that aligns with Kritza & Agent.

I don't think there's any doubt that CU would extend her a year with an incremental raise. But there are other decisions that need to be made in terms of the level and length of commitment.

Don't know NCAA recruiting calendars at all and so on, but I assume this would be something that will need to get resolved pretty quickly to keep the uncertainty from costing us a chance with potential recruits, or even to losing existing recruits?

And, I assume this is also a prime time to both protect your own team from losing players via transfer out (to the extent the continuity or lack thereof could sway a player to stay or not, anyway), and/ or having the opportunity to pick up transfers from other teams that could help going forward. (No statistics to back it up, but I get the feeling that transfers are pretty common in volleyball. And if I remember correctly, I think the 1st few years of Coach Kritza's time here was definately hampered by how many young women transferred out the 1st couple of years, so no matter what happens now we'll want to limit that happening again.)

I don't know if she falls into that weird category of one-year contracts or not. I don't know what would be wrong with another 5-year contract if they are allowed to do that. Right now, with the way the Pac 12 volleyball landscape is set up, the last thing we need to be doing is creating any kind of uncertainty over the coaching situation.

Back